1979 18’ Starcraft Supersport Resurrection (warning – lots of pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1979 18? Starcraft Supersport Resurrection (warning ? lots of pics)

I used Bondo's Rubberized Undercoating for $5/can, and it covered both sides and had great texture which covered the old glue. Live and learn.

Do you get the Bondo's Rubberized Undercoating at Wal Mart? I was going to re vinyl that pocket but I think I like the rubberized idea better.

They sure didn't change the hulls much in the 70's.
DSC03801.jpg

Or the construction.
DSC04064.jpg

I agree with DJ I love the lines of these old Starcrafts.

Jason

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

First - You used only 1/2" plywood for the floor. Everything I have seen says to use 3/4". Is the 1/2" enough? Is it spongy at all? As you can see in my picture, I'm not a real tiny guy. I really want a strong floor, but would love to save that added weight that 3/4 plywood will add to things.

I look like you, except my hair is grey. I plan on going with 3/4.

Also, I see you have white foam in there. I plan to use the proper marine foam when I re-do mine and the white styro is part of the reason I plan to re-do mine. The foam adds strength to the hull and I expect it will help keep rivets from popping in the future.

Second - How did you flip the hull to sand and paint it on the outside? I want to do this too and I am worried about flipping it back rightside up and getting it back onto the trailer without scratching the heck out of it. Lots of friends???? Or did you use an engine lift some how?

Curious as well.

mcattac

Seaman Apprentice

I look like you, except my hair is grey. I plan on going with 3/4.

Also, I see you have white foam in there. I plan to use the proper marine foam when I re-do mine and the white styro is part of the reason I plan to re-do mine. The foam adds strength to the hull and I expect it will help keep rivets from popping in the future.

Curious as well.

Too bad about looking like me. :eek:

I will not be replacing the foam.
Especially the sryfoam.
That stuff REALLY soaks up the water over time and only creates more weight for the motor to push around in the water. And the flotation it is actually supposed to create is minimal.
Foaming things in is a far better idea as it does strengthen things quite a bit.
Also, it doesn't typically soak up the water.
It does however create a pain if you have to remove it though.

Mac

D

DJ

Hey Guys,

If you have everything out, under the deck, now is the time to coat any seams/rivets with Gluv It. A little insurance against leaks.

mcattac

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Guys,

If you have everything out, under the deck, now is the time to coat any seams/rivets with Gluv It. A little insurance against leaks.

Good idea, but AFTER you tighten any loose rivets.

Thanks.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Got 100 closed-end aluminum rivets off ebay and a can of gluv-it on the workbench.

And I'm not even thinking of starting the project yet.

Next I need to get plywood. But I need someone (hint joey) to send me the pdf he has of the floor design so I can figure out the number of sheets I need.

Plus there is this whole thing of replacing my kitchen floor in August.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

First - You used only 1/2" plywood for the floor. Everything I have seen says to use 3/4". Is the 1/2" enough? Is it spongy at all? As you can see in my picture, I'm not a real tiny guy. I really want a strong floor, but would love to save that added weight that 3/4 plywood will add to things.

Second - How did you flip the hull to sand and paint it on the outside? I want to do this too and I am worried about flipping it back rightside up and getting it back onto the trailer without scratching the heck out of it. Lots of friends???? Or did you use an engine lift some how?

Mac

1) I'm happy w/ using the 1/2" (actually sold as 15/32"). It does have some give to it though. Not springy, but not like concrete, either. I was worried about weight savings since it'll only have a 60hp on the back, and I'm 170 lbs, so not a big deal using 1/2". I could see why someone would want 3/4" in their boat though. The factory stuff I ripped out looked like 1/2" (what was left of it).

2) I flipped my hull by myself, with the 100lb wife as a spotter. Did it on the grass, so no scratches there. To re-trailer it, I held the bow up as high as I could (over my head) and the wife pushed the trailer under (I had to step over the axle and keel supports). I lowered the bow when she couldn't push anymore, and it was balanced enough to stay on the trailer. I then attached the winch to the bow eye and pulled it on over the keel rollers. Oh, and we did all this without bunks - I waited to fasten them on last so they'd be at the right height.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Do you get the Bondo's Rubberized Undercoating at Wal Mart? I was going to re vinyl that pocket but I think I like the rubberized idea better.

I don't think I can recommend the rubberized coating idea, either. The stuff I got is pretty soft - you could scratch it off w/ your fingernail (or so it feels like, at least).

If I had to do over again, I think I'd just paint it like everything else and deal w/ looking at the glue from the old vinyl slopped on underneath the paint.

It's alright for now though.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Got 100 closed-end aluminum rivets off ebay and a can of gluv-it on the workbench.

And I'm not even thinking of starting the project yet.

Next I need to get plywood. But I need someone (hint joey) to send me the pdf he has of the floor design so I can figure out the number of sheets I need.

Plus there is this whole thing of replacing my kitchen floor in August.

Just saw your PM. The PDF's at home though, and I'm at work. I'll try to figure out how to post a link to it so anyone else can get it if they need it.

I bought 4 4'X8' sheets. 3 are enough to do the deck, if you turn the bow piece 90? to the others. When I did this, the (outer) grain was in the wrong direction, and flexed a bunch. Had to reinforce w/ some scrap PT ply cut in strips, on their side.

When replacing the side covers, the aluminum cap/rail won't fit anything wider than maybe 5/8".

mcattac

Seaman Apprentice

2) I flipped my hull by myself, with the 100lb wife as a spotter. Did it on the grass, so no scratches there. To re-trailer it, I held the bow up as high as I could (over my head) and the wife pushed the trailer under (I had to step over the axle and keel supports). I lowered the bow when she couldn't push anymore, and it was balanced enough to stay on the trailer. I then attached the winch to the bow eye and pulled it on over the keel rollers. Oh, and we did all this without bunks - I waited to fasten them on last so they'd be at the right height.

You animal!!!

Grrrrr..........

How much do you estimate the bare hull weighs?
(without any of the wood)

Again, thanks for all the info.

Mac

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

You animal!!!

Grrrrr..........

How much do you estimate the bare hull weighs?
(without any of the wood)

Again, thanks for all the info.

Mac

I would guess 200#, since I could lift one side at a time (to flip it), and it "felt" like I was lifting 100 lbs.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Here's a link to the template: http://rapidshare.com/files/133934957/Starcraft_SuperSport_deck_template.pdf.html
Use at your own risk!

It's not perfect, but it's what I used to lay out the plywood. I ended up remeasuring and trimming each piece anyhow, so didn't really use this for any cuts. Again, the top must be wrong since I used scrap off another sheet for it, instead of ripping into sheet #4.

Here's a jpg of it:
StarcraftSuperSportdecktemplate.gif

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks. Go the pdf and really appreciate the starting point.

Supersport18

Cadet

Nice job! Just bough a 21' Mariner and am currently working on transom replacement. Yor pics of project are a great inspiration. I also have a 77 Supersport 18.will post pics as work progresses. pic is my 21ft barnfind. The person I bought this from also has a Supersport 18' hull with a new transom with trailer for less than $1000. The hull is just that... a hull. No console or steering linkages. I could get pics if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• 21 ft starcraft.jpg
    21 ft starcraft.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 0

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Nice job! Just bough a 21' Mariner and am currently working on transom replacement. Yor pics of project are a great inspiration. I also have a 77 Supersport 18.will post pics as work progresses. pic is my 21ft barnfind. The person I bought this from also has a Supersport 18' hull with a new transom with trailer for less than $1000. The hull is just that... a hull. No console or steering linkages. I could get pics if anyone is interested.

Cool find. I was contemplating making mine into a center console - thought that'd be neat (just build from scratch). I know what that empty boat would look like if it was mine.....

shawnhowell

Cadet

Well, I've got to say, I'm impressed. I just this weekend picked up an 18' starcraft about the same age as this and started working on it. The only big difference is that mine has the 120 hp I/O Merc in it. I'll probably be begging you for pictures of ths side rails eventually as all the hardware was removed when I got it. I don't think I'll be flipping mine over to paint it (too much motor to pull out and put back in). Somebody painted it with house paint, and now it's all dried and cracking, and peeling off. Way too ugly for pics right now, but at least you gave me something to work towards. Great job.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Somebody painted it with house paint, and now it's all dried and cracking, and peeling off. Way too ugly for pics right now, but at least you gave me something to work towards. Great job.

I've heard "Aircraft Remover" as well as oven cleaner will take all that paint off down to bare aluminum.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Well, I've got to say, I'm impressed. I just this weekend picked up an 18' starcraft about the same age as this and started working on it. The only big difference is that mine has the 120 hp I/O Merc in it. I'll probably be begging you for pictures of ths side rails eventually as all the hardware was removed when I got it. I don't think I'll be flipping mine over to paint it (too much motor to pull out and put back in). Somebody painted it with house paint, and now it's all dried and cracking, and peeling off. Way too ugly for pics right now, but at least you gave me something to work towards. Great job.

I'd love to see a thread with pictures right from the start.

Did all the hardware come with it? I have one I'm dismantling as I hurt the hull too bad but I've got all the hardware.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

NOOOOOOOO! My throttle and shift cables are 2 feet short!!! Everything else is ready to go. Guess I'll try to find some on ebay or something.

Found an early 80's Johnson 150hp engine/controls/trim for $300. "Some minor damage to electrical parts" and "has been used in salt water". Should I jump on that? 150 is the max hp for this boat, according to the rating plate.

Here are some pics I took before wrapping it up for today.

Starcraftengine002.jpg

Starcraftengine003.jpg

Starcraftengine004.jpg

Starcraftengine005.jpg

Starcraftengine006.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.