New Mercruiser pulling hard to one side.

Jugfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought a 2008 Bayliner with a 3.0 Mercruiser. It looks like the fin above the prob has shifted to the left (if you are looking at the engine from the rear of the boat) and I cant seem to find any literature on this part or pricing or anything. Any help would be appreciated. I dont know if it is covered under warranty but I am taking all precautions just in case it isnt

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Mercruiser pulling hard to one side.

That fin adjusts for the pull you are having. The bolt is accessible via the hole above it on the drive. Do you have power steering?

thumpar

Admiral

Yep, if you look from the top of the drive there is a hole and a bolt, IIRC allen head, that you can use. I am also interested in learning how to adjust this correctly.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If the boat pulls to the right, you need to angle the fin so that it tries to pull the drive to the left( as you look at the drive from the back of the boat). You would turn the fin so that the leading edge of the fin points more to the left.

Jugfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK Thanks for all that great info.. Next question is where do I buy a new one to replace the old one. I was stupid and tried to adjust it with a pair of pliers and wound up bending it. Is this fin also called a stabilizer. If so should I get an aftermarket one?

Jugfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also When I was at WOT I could barely turn the steering weel. I had the trim at about 1/4 from the lowest position. Should it be more free. I was trying to squeeze every ounce of speed out of it that I could to see what its Max speed was. TO get it to go faster I kept trimming up unitl the safety stop engaged. I got it to 49 and thats when the steering wheel basically froze. As you can see I am new to sterndrive motors. More used to 25-50 horse outboards. So the trim and stuff is new to me

bhammer

Ensign

OK Thanks for all that great info.. Next question is where do I buy a new one to replace the old one. I was stupid and tried to adjust it with a pair of pliers and wound up bending it. Is this fin also called a stabilizer. If so should I get an aftermarket one?

Ahh, the first thing you need is the manual for it. Someone here can post a link to the on-line manual or open another thread and just ask. This will keep you from making these types of mistakes.....

For freshwater, you can buy the fin/anode right here at iboats. http://www.iboats.com/Quicksilver_S....268710--**********.335030464--view_id.131288

Just FYI, I am sure that your dealer would be more than helpful in answering quetions on how to make those adjustments.:D

Jugfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do I need to have that trim tab on there What purpose does it serve. If it is slightly bent what would it mess up running it that way. I have seen some boats that have just a flat piece in place of that tab. Any thought.......

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

that fin is there to counter the torque prodeced by the spinning prop. once it is adjusted properly, you should be able to move the steering quite easily. if you have power steering, you can use the flat anode. if not, you need the fin. it is not called a stabilizer. i believe the proper name is anti-torque skegg.

MikDee

Banned

If it's a brand new boat, it should have power steering? and the power steering resivior on the front of your motor, turned by the fanbelt, looks just like a car power steering unit and should be filled to the line, with normal power steering fluid. It should not be hard to turn? :confused:

Jugfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1A071743 is my serial number on the motor. It is indeed a brand new boat but I couldnt find a power steering pump on it. Are these anti tourque skeggs hard to change. Does it take a certified mechanic to do it or can an average Joe who is decent with engines change it out with out a problem.

Also I dont guess I have told the whole story. I was out tubing saturday and after the rider fell off the tube it landed upside down on a wave and it filled with water and jerked the boat real hard then tore the front of the tube off. After that it didnt seem to steer right. So when I got it back to the dock I looked at the prop and noticed that the anti tourque skegg wasn't lined up straight with the prop, now I dont know if it is supposed to or not so in an act of ingonorence I proceed to bend it back with a pair of pliers ( I know that was stupid and I should have known better) and ofcourse bent the piece. I wanted to get it fixed before I put it back in the water. From all your advise it sounds like this part would not cause a steering problem. So any suggestions on why it would have problems steering.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So...was the boat pulling hard before you put the pliers to the trim tab?

My suggestion is to buy a new trim tab and go through the adjustment process the next time you take the boat out. I can't remember what the natural torque direction is but I am sure someone will chime in on where a good initial setting would be.

MikDee

Banned

Did you click on the "sticky" link I gave you? I thought I made it very clear which way to turn the small fin. The initial starting point is to have the fin perfectly straight with the outdrive skeg, then try the boat, and see. It can be loosened, and adjusted with a large allen wrench thru the hole above it (it might have a plastic plug there to remove) there is a large stainless hex cap screw inside that holds it on.

Jugfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes I did go to the link and it explained perfectly how to adjust one but not how to replace it. Is it just that one screw that holds it in place.. Also would that mess my steering up so bad that I cant turn the boat? No not till the tubing accident. After that as I was turning around to pick up my rider it wouldnt turn to the left even though I had the wheel as hard over as it would go. After a minute if finally started turning and I slowly krept back to the dock and I could turn one way and it wouldnt turn as fast as it should..

Jugfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also when you say outside skeg I take it you mean the fin under the prop

MikDee

Banned

Also when you say outside skeg I take it you mean the fin under the prop

Yes, & yes, one bolt holding it on, and the fin under the prop is called a skeg. Would it affect the steering on your boat, Yes,,, but not alot, if your steering is really hard, then either you did more serious damage, or your power steering is not working right. Get out your owners manual, or contact your dealer to find out how to check the fluid level on the power steering.

Jugfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Its not hard to turn the wheel at all. So I dont think it is in the power steering. Its just when I turn the wheel as hard over as I can, sometimes the boat wouldnt turn.

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

i think you have some much more serious issues that you think. have somebody that knows boats have a look at it.

Jugfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Taking it back to the dealership today. Will keep everyone udated......