fishing with a telephone

Ive heard storys about catching fish with an old crank phone. I have one as decoration but its all there. Thought I might try it. Anyone doe it and can tell me how.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: fishing with a telephone

That sounds like electrocuting fish.Those things produce 60 volts by cranking them up.
In the finger lakes we use Victrola boxes on our Seth Green rigs,but that is to reel the lines in.

jmelzark

Seaman Apprentice

As a kid growing up in Kansas My dad and I used a crank phone to get worms for fishing. He would wet down a part of the lawn and had metal rods attached to the wires from the phone. Then he would put on his rubber boats put the rods about 4' apart and crank away. The night crawlers would come up real fast. Acourse being young and dumb i once stood to close on the wet lawn with out rubber boats I think i peed myself when he started crank.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Acourse being young and dumb i once stood to close on the wet lawn with out rubber boats I think i peed myself when he started crank.
:D:D:D! I hope this isn't insensetive of me, but that's hillarious!

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Acourse being young and dumb i once stood to close on the wet lawn with out rubber boats I think i peed myself when he started crank.

You may consider yourself very lucky that you did not pee while he was cranking

jmelzark

Seaman Apprentice

i did all down my leg............and yes its funny as hell now.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

As a kid growing up in Kansas My dad and I used a crank phone to get worms for fishing. He would wet down a part of the lawn and had metal rods attached to the wires from the phone. Then he would put on his rubber boats put the rods about 4' apart and crank away. The night crawlers would come up real fast. Acourse being young and dumb i once stood to close on the wet lawn with out rubber boats I think i peed myself when he started crank.

My Grand Dad use to do it also. Once when I wasn't paying attention he stuck one wire in each of my back pockets. Not only did it hurt like hell, I got it afterwards from my Grand Mother for peeing my pants. :eek: He just laughed.

I had planned revenge for years for this stunt, but he put it in a locked box on the top shelf in his garage where I couldn't get it after this. :mad:

He also got me to help him check the spark on the lawn mower once by holding the spark plug. I never could get him to help me check the spark, but my little brother did. :D

He also had something from a old Model-T he used for this also. This was much stronger, and I was warned not to play with it. Don't ever tell a kid not to touch something and then leave it on the bottom shelf. :rolleyes:

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

My Grand Dad also said when he was young and worked in the coal mines, they would sometimes throw dynamite in the lake and scoop up dinner for the whole neighborhood.

It was during the “Great Depression” when they did this, and food was hard to come by. Even if you had money, which they didn't, you often couldn't buy anything because there wasn't anything to buy.

Huntin & Fishin was part of life.

I tried this fishing method for years when I was a kid, with homemade “gun powder” firecrackers, but never had any luck.

Sometimes I wonder, how I managed to live though my childhood.

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ive heard storys about catching fish with an old crank phone. I have one as decoration but its all there. Thought I might try it. Anyone doe it and can tell me how.

Not only is it (Probably) illegal, its dangerous. .

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

FYI in certain parts of North Carolina (op is from NC) it is legal to use a crank phone and wire to fish. Basically you attach a wire to the phone and drop it in the water and start cranking. This is suppose to get those big cats off the bottom. I am not sure if it makes them float or if you still gotta have a line to catch them. IMO they should come to the top and you can use a landing net to bag the fish. Let us know how it works if you try it.

TC

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

What if they have caller ID and don't pick up the line?

Hogsed03

Cadet

My Dad was telling me about this, I'm pretty sure its illegal here in Ga. I hear dynamite works well.:)

rolmops

Vice Admiral

In Vietnam,the old field crank phones were often used for "information gathering"
Connect the wires at a "strategic" point of the person on the receiving end of the line.Crank the phone and the person on the other end of the line would start "sharing" information.It may well be that the old crank phone was the first step on the way to "Electronic Information Technology".

aspeck

Staff member

In Vietnam,the old field crank phones were often used for "information gathering"
Connect the wires at a "strategic" point of the person on the receiving end of the line.Crank the phone and the person on the other end of the line would start "sharing" information.It may well be that the old crank phone was the first step on the way to "Electronic Information Technology".

I bet they looked like this :eek: ! :D:D

hounddog

Recruit

I have personally used the "Ma Bell" fishing method. It works well. It is illegal at least here in Kansas it is. It will knock out any fish laying on the bottom and after a few seconds the fish will wake back up and swim off. I have seen them for sale on ebay for real cheap.