yamaha outdrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bass Lake

Cadet
Hello,
I hope this is the correct section...

I had a question about my 1993 sun cruiser.
It has a yamaha L4 3.0 in it.

I just bought this boat and there is no outdrive on it.I was wondering do i have to buy another yamaha outdrive "which i am having trouble finding, rare i guess" or can I replace it with something else "less expensive". Like a mercruiser or an off brand that is compatible with mercruisers or omc.

I was looking around and the bolt holes on other brands all look similar to this yamaha setup.
Thanks in advance :)
Josh

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: yamaha outdrive

Welcome to iboats Josh.

Sorry, that would be like trying to put a Chevy transmission on a Ford, not gonna work.

Have you checked Ebay, use several search terms, you should be able to find something.

I would post on the Yamaha forum and see what lowers and years are compatible with your engine once you know that it should make it easier to find something.

Bondo Again

Seaman

I just bought this boat and there is no outdrive on it.

Ayuh,....... Sorry to hear that,... Hopefully you can sell it,+ get your money back....

The Yamahas were sold here for only a year or 2,....
And,....
NO,.....
Nothing will Easily swap with it......

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Basslake,
I own a 90' Yamaha 5.7 and finding parts is impossible, post a new thread under I/O and holler for Capt Ken, so far he is the only one who has even SEEN yamaha parts, as for finding a drive unit,dont give up yet.Try Lanier Liquidators in georga,they have used parts and Yamaha outdrives,and search used parts. Forget e-bay. Also craigslist.com in your area. Good Luck Amigo

Bass Lake

Cadet

Wow thank you all for the many quick responses!

I have the old outdrive with the boat. The lower is ok but the upper is not "bad bearings" The old owner bought everything to rebuild it "$935 in parts!!" ,But I am laking the skill to put it back together even with the Clymer:confused:

Does anyone think I maybe able to get a local marina or boat shop to put it back together for me?

Again Thanks All!

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

The Clymer manuals are bad enough even on mainstream drives (Merc or Volvo) ... I can't imagine how bad they would be aon a Yamaha outdrive.
Rebuilding drives requires special tools....dunno where on earth you will even find those.
Your only hope is Captain Ken comes along and gives you direction on where to ship it off, if anywhere.
If you ever get it all taken care of, insure the hell out of the boat and secretly hope someone steals it.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bass,
Don't go to the marina..go to a local marine repair place,look in your yellow pages under Marine Repair,Marinas have alot to deal with in addition to repair,at times parts get lost,work is rushed,your better off finding a Yamaha repair place,although the parts cannot be bought, the shop will still have access to yamaha online database and diagrams. And disregard the skeptics,once its back running,it will last years if well maintained.

Capt Ken

Commander

Never fear, I is here!!!!
Reckon I be the only one still alive that remembers the sterndrive schools that Yamaha use to have. Anywho, still got the tools to assemble that beast hanging on the wall. If the former owner bit the bullet and bought the parts, assembling the unit (with the proper shimming tools) not a problem. Look me up at NelsonMarineService.com. Even if all the parts aren't there, I can come up with what's missing. Too bad its not a 4.3. Seems them things are everywhere.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Do whatever Captain Ken tells you....he is about your only hope.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

LOL...I was trying to make things look a little better than reality.

Totally OT part of post....
I just returned from 3 months in Panama City Beach, nice area....

Bass Lake

Cadet

Again, Thank you all for you info and the entertainment;)

I will try to contact you captain Ken! You give me hope!

I have called about 6 places around here "north west IN." And they all pretty much laughed at me and said No we dont work on yamahas:(
I will try a few more numbers tomorrow and if all else fails I suppose ill be shippin her off to Captain Kens!!!

Boats Unlimited sold the last owner all the parts to rebuild the upper "pricie though"

iron21

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yamaha has such a good reputation overall, and they produce high-quality products. I'm sure once you get this outdrive back together, it will perform well. just keep searching ebay and craiglist in the future and parts will show up. good luck

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Their good reputation was somewhat tarnished when they absolutely screwed all the poor souls that bought their sterndrive product.

Bass Lake

Cadet

I have found a place that use to sell yamaha stern drive boats! There shop said they are willing to work on the outdrive "they claim to have all the tools and knowledge to work on it":cool:
they say they may have trouble ordering some parts... Hopefully your the man for that Captain Ken!!

Once again thanks for the info and help!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I worked for a marina that was a yamaha outboard and sterndrive dealer.
when it closed in 05 the tooling got scattered to the winds.
some of the tooling is still avalible from yamaha but it takes forever to get them.
very good drive packages if maintained, they are actually still in production just not for the US market.
US market production and sales was rather short lived but the packages worked well if maintained but some parts are getting harder and harder to find.
captKen seems to still have a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.