circling Manhattan, clockwise or counter clockwise?

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer
This may seem irrelevant as the distance would be the same, but the Hudson is tidal and the East river I don't know what it is, and I am considering that at some point it might be preferred to go one way or the other, I plan to put in at liberty or the Palisades near the g Washington bridge. I'm a new boater.

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: circling Manhattan, clockwise or counter clockwise?

I know kayakers typically paddle around Manhattan starting north of the GW bridge, heading south down the Hudson with an outgoing tide.

Here's a website to browse for more info. It's geared toward paddlers but it has lots of good info for anyone boating the area. http://home.earthlink.net/~taterka/

tommays

Admiral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnjHGV033C4&feature=related
You need an Eldridge as it will show the current flow around NYC and the time of day to best make the trip (It could be a FEW weeks before the it is the right time )

You want to go through these area when the tide is slack to avoide the white water experance

eldridge2.jpg

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

This may seem irrelevant as the distance would be the same, but the Hudson is tidal and the East river I don't know what it is, and I am considering that at some point it might be preferred to go one way or the other, I plan to put in at liberty or the Palisades near the g Washington bridge. I'm a new boater.

I have no particular knowledge of the currents. but the East "River" is not a river. I believe it is technically a "race" because it connects two bodies of salt water (NY Harbor and Long Island sound). The Hudson has fresh water flowing into it, so is a real river, but still tidal toward the mouth. I'm sure that tides highly affect the East. Sorry for being a know it all. :)

wajajaja02

Im learning, thanks, and the harlem river?

wajajaja02

the feed on the boat us forum is generally that it doesn't make a difference except that its mostly no wake zones on the east river and Harlem do to all the bridges so one may be tired of the trip and aprriciate a little speed on the Hudson on the down side so counter clockwise is suggested. It was suggested starting out at liberty and going up with the tide toward new burg as far as desired and lunching and then coming down to liberty for the end of the day. sounded like a plan to me.