Sealing a new deck on aluminum boat

sasanm

Seaman
Guys,
I have my started cutting out the new deck for 63 starcraft rebuild. The question I have is what is a good product to seal it with. I am not going with glassing (too exspensive) but I am wondering what other options I should look at? I was thinking of using a oil based outdoor poly paint like the type they use for porches. Also the boat will be covered and trailed all year except for when I am out fishing.
Thanks,
James

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sealing a new deck on aluminum boat

I would think that would work.

I plan on painting pressure-treated 1/2" plywood for the deck of my Starcraft SuperSport, FWIW.

Just wondering (as I'm undecided yet myself on which direction to take) - are you planning to carpet over the paint, or walk directly on the wood? If no carpet, I would think the paint you pick better be pretty tough to not wear through from walking on it.

jdmack

Recruit

I just done my aluminum lund and I used fiberglass reisin<Idid not use any glass. I mixed it liked it said and it worked great easy to spread,seal all the sides. And for the guy who wants to use treated wood.I have head that the stuff in the wood it is not good for the alum. and it gets to heavy.I use good grade of ply wood and sealed it hope I done it right? Thats what a lot of folks here said to do .Hope it helps

sasanm

Seaman

Going with carpet with several coats of paint underneath and carpet glue. I was palnning on using 3m 4200 to seal any hole that I put through it for the seats. Also see what the others say but I wasn't planning on using pressure treated wood because it can cause corrision issues with aluminum boats. If PT is okay that would be the way to go for the deck.

GregE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys,
I have my started cutting out the new deck for 63 starcraft rebuild. The question I have is what is a good product to seal it with. I am not going with glassing (too exspensive) but I am wondering what other options I should look at? I was thinking of using a oil based outdoor poly paint like the type they use for porches. Also the boat will be covered and trailed all year except for when I am out fishing.
Thanks,
James

Epoxy to seal then paint, or a Rhinoliner or Tuffcoat type brush/roll-on coating. No need for pressure treated, just seal it good with epoxy. You'll see alot written here about making sure that if you do use PT, you have a method to dry it before you seal it, else you seal in moisture.

Rairdog

Cadet

I'm getting ready to re-deck my lund. I leaning towards 5/8' BC 5 ply sealed with epoxy and topped with Tuffcoat. If you use PT I would put seal-seal on the alum stringers. The thin roll of foam used on foundations under the seal plate or foam tape. I would use SS rivets on PT also. I had to throw away joist hanger and galv. nails when the new PT came out and upgrade to triple galv. It can't be good on Alum the way I figure. I also want to reuse my Alum piano hinges which might be a problem with PT.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

If you use PT I would put seal-seal on the alum stringers.

I plan on fitting the 1/2" PT, predrilling all rivet holes, and then epoxy wherever it would be in contact w/ stringers, hull ribs, or rivets.

I'm against fully encapsulating anything porous like wood. Once water gets in (and it will somehow) it has no where to go. Although I did do this for my transom, since it's surrounded by aluminum, I'm hoping by not coating the deck it will be able to "breathe".

As for the new ACQ pressure-treatment, yes, it's corrosive to aluminum (the "C" in ACQ is for copper). You can still buy the CCA stuff (containing arsenic), but it's rare. Since 2003, it's only allowed to be used in certain areas, marine use being one of them; this is what "Marine-Grade" uses as a preservative.

Bottom line is there are many ways to do this. You just have to research and take the route you're most comfortable with and that fits your budget. As an engineer, I know there's no such thing as a "perfect design" - it's all a compromise in one way or another.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

I used a good exterior grade latex paint on my plywood deck, easy to touch up or redo and low cost up front. It's holding up good so far.

skilled4reel

Recruit

pressure treated wood has chemicals in it that are not recommened for aluminum. Use high grade plywood and coat to your prefrence. I was thinking of you useing someting like rhino liner for truck beds. Just and idea:confused: