the quest for an 18 horse continues

Mr.Stuart

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I posted an ad on craigs list looking for an 18 horse evinrude, the older the better, I've gotten some responses, I'm thinking if it's a really nice one that it might be worth maybe $250?

so far I haven't gone to look at any yet, but here's the responses I've gotten back so far.

the first one: "I have a 1961 Ev 18, new coils, points, condensers, wires plugs, new water pump impeller, I would take $300 for it. Short shaft." now this one sounds like it might be ok, don't know if it would be worth 300 or not, maybe try to talk him down to 250 if it's worth while?

the second one: "I have two and a guy I know has 2 more. We are going to figure out which run and which don't, then set the price which is probably not much. Do you need parts or an entire engine?" sounds like it might be promising.

the third one: "I have a 1964 18 horse tiller. Had an electric start at one time because it still has a celenoid. It does run but probably could use a tune up.I think the carb was redone not that long ago judging by the gasket color. It is a long shaft but short shafting them is easy and you can always hold on to the 5" kit.I paid 300.00 for it and have not used it on my
boat because I found a 25 the day after I bought it. Does this sound
like what your looking for?
" this one sounds the most promising to me because it "used to have electric start" so maybe those hard to find starter mounting brackets might be on it?

any comments or ideas on the responses I've gotten so far from the ad I posted on craigslist?

freddyray21

Commander
Re: the quest for an 18 horse continues

in general the ones you need to fix up go for around 50 dollars around here. I would almost rather have one of those as I can do the work myself and know it is done not just said to be done. Most parts are still available going back a long ways.

Mr.Stuart

in general the ones you need to fix up go for around 50 dollars around here. I would almost rather have one of those as I can do the work myself and know it is done not just said to be done. Most parts are still available going back a long ways.

I was kind of thinking that to, I want something to fix up or restore anyway, and I sure don't want to be paying 300 for something I'm going to have to work on, and past experience has taught me that what they say has been done doesn't necessarily mean it has. but I wouldn't be opposed to buying something for around 250 or so if it already runs good, I'm just shopping, I'm sure more offers will show up, I posted the ad to see what might be out there but it's been my experience then when you post an ad looking for something, the responses you get will generally reflect a higher price then the average going rate.

jbjennings

Captain

I think the '61 with the new parts sounds the best, but it is not the most eye-catching model to me. I would want 300 for one in good shape with all those new parts. If you get one cheaper with all those new parts, you practically stole it, in my opinion. I would round up all those 50 dollar ones I could find---if I could find 'em. Not that they're not out there, I just never find 'em!:D
JBJ

freddyray21

Commander

bought three of them last weekend. You just have to be patient.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

take a loook at ebay # 130206346133

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Here's another on Ebay that looks like a good electric start motor in fine shape:

wbeaton

Commander

$300 isn't unreasonable for one that has been tuned up. I'd ask more if it was from the 1960's. I believe the bracket is built into the starter so you still need the correct starter. Option #1 is the best, but #2 would intrigue me. I'd ask to come by and check them all out. Ask how much they'd want for one - ballpark. I wouldn't bother with the third one. Too much money if it needs work.

phineas

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i picked up a '58 18 HP johnson with a 'rude bottom end that looks like new for a pair of worn out tires off of my truck, but then i get a lot of salvage items

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

take a loook at ebay # 130206346133

Holy crap, that one went for $610! For a '58 18! I'd sell all of mine for those prices and start all over again!

I pay around $75 for the 18's around here in fix em up shape.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Here's another on Ebay that looks like a good electric start motor in fine shape:

Holy crap. And this one went for $785.99! Those are crazy prices! And the '60/'61 models aren't that good looking either!

wbeaton

Commander

Holy crap. And this one went for $785.99! Those are crazy prices! And the '60/'61 models aren't that good looking either!

Good news for me! I have a 1961 Evinrude 18 hp to sell! Now who bid $784? LOL.

Mr.Stuart

Good news for me! I have a 1961 Evinrude 18 hp to sell! Now who bid $784? LOL.
offer it to the guy the got outbid ...man, those prices are way out of my budget, I'm seeing a few pop up on the local craigslist around here but not much under 300 or so, there was one in there for 250, but it was a long shaft, I've been through the shaft conversion once, don't want to go down that road again. you can spend more on a conversion then what you paid for the motor in the first place.

if I felt like driving 400 miles, here's what sounds like a good buy http://medford.craigslist.org/for/619736269.html

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I'd sell some of mine for $300 each also! Considering I can get em for under $100! :)

That ad sounds fine. Too bad it's 400 miles. That's a ways.

jameskb2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Buy one from Sam, Mr. Stuart.

Shipping from Canada to Oregon can't be that much can it?

freddyray21

Commander

I just bought a 15 at a meet last weekend for 25 dollars. Might have bought a pig in a poke, but we will see. One thing to think of is if I can find one around here for you cheap I can ship it to you. You would probably end of having 100-150 in it by the time you got it and figure on having to reseal lu, new coils (maybe) and carb kit. There were a couple of 18's at the meet and I thought about you, but they were asking 100 dollars for them.

Mr.Stuart

I just bought a 15 at a meet last weekend for 25 dollars. Might have bought a pig in a poke, but we will see. One thing to think of is if I can find one around here for you cheap I can ship it to you. You would probably end of having 100-150 in it by the time you got it and figure on having to reseal lu, new coils (maybe) and carb kit. There were a couple of 18's at the meet and I thought about you, but they were asking 100 dollars for them.

I've been watching the local ads pretty close, haven't seen one yet that I felt was a "have to get it" one will turn up at a good price, I'm cheap, so when I see one for 300, I keep thinking one will turn up for 250, or 200, or 150, heck, for that matter even cheaper, I'll end up with one sooner or later :D

freddyray21

Commander

you are like me. Patient and the deals will come along.