Evinrude 30 Runs, Re- Starts for a Few Hours Then Won't Start

chimo

Cadet
after about 3 hours of off and on running it will not start(Evinrude E30TEESS, although the models covered in the manual make no mention of the second "S"). After many hours of waiting, there is a good chance it will start. Now this may be coincidence but I replaced all three primer fuel lines(they split simultaneously) within a couple of days of the above problem starting. I have rechecked these lines. There is gas flowing through. Gas is getting to the fuel pump. Can I rule out a gas problem? Is this an electrical problem. I also replaced the plugs. Thanks for any and all help.

chimo

Cadet
Re: Evinrude 30 Runs, Re- Starts for a Few Hours Then Won't Start

I should clarify "off and on running" It runs fine, full throttle, trolling, stopping to fish, moving from spot to spot. Eventually it won't start.

buckrut69

Seaman Apprentice

Hello,<br />I am having the same problem with my 1986 evinrude 30hp. Check to make sure you have a spark on the spark plugs. You can do this by removing the plugs from the engine - put the caps back on the plugs and hold plug to the power head and crank the engine. Check each one this way. If you are not getting a spark then its something in the electrical system. I am getting a spark and then the motor cuts out and I try it again is there is nothing. Somewhere in the system something is loose. Still cant figure it out. Hope this helps.

chimo

Cadet

Thanks Dan. After doing some internet searching I tried the plug test earlier today. Both are sparking. My problem seems slightly different as mine will run for hours then won't start. I'm now assuming something is overheating. What I do not know. Did you change your plugs? Check the gap?

chimo

Cadet

Could this possibly be the coil(s) overheating? Is there a specific test I could perform to check the condition of the coils?

chimo

Cadet

It has also been suggested that it could be a problem with the kill switch. Anyone hear of such a problem?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Now this may be coincidence but I replaced all three primer fuel lines(they split simultaneously) within a couple of days of the above
What exactly do you mean they split? This could be the source of your problem. Please give more details.. If I understand this correctly, you can start out in the morning fine and the boat runs fine. You stop now and then and it still starts and runs fine. But then, it won't start. What does it do when it won't start? Does it crank over? Do you have spark when it does this? Pump the primer bulb and hit the choke and see if it goes?

chimo

Cadet

The primer fuel lines had hairline splits/cracks/leaks. I replaced them all with new lines.<br /><br /> You said," you can start out in the morning fine and the boat runs fine. You stop now and then and it still starts and runs fine. But then, it won't start. What does it do when it won't start? Does it crank over? Do you have spark when it does this? Pump the primer bulb and hit the choke and see if it goes?<br /><br />Yes, that is exactly what it does.The starter seems to operate as normal as well as the flywheel. Occasionally it almost sounds like it wants to start. Like once every 40 attempts. When I say almost start, it will blow a puff of exhaust out the back as it makes a "half-hearted" attempt to turnover. Primer/choke make no difference.

chimo

Cadet

As an update. It has been sitting for a few days and now will not start. Arrgh!

chimo

Cadet

Just got motor back from the shop. The primer port at the carb was blocked/clogged. The carb was also cleaned and gasket replaced. <br />Ignition checked out OK. Does this seem to answer my original problem? Am I safe to take off for miles with reasonable confidence. (I'll bring food and water just in case)

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

I had an older Evinrude that was doing that. The problem turned out to be the power pack. It was breaking down after it got warmed up. This is fairly common in electronics.

chimo

Cadet

No power pack on mine. Ignition system checked out OK.

stairliftoheaven

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hmmmm sounded like an ignition problem to me but its a funny old world. good idea to take emergency provisions lol

chimo

Cadet

Well it happened again. Ran fine(stop and re-start) for a couple of hours. Then would not start. Towed in again.

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Try squirting some gas through the carb and see if it will start. My 30 had a plugged primer fitting on the carb too and it wouldn't start..your fuel system (and mine) must have some junk in it..I am rebuilding my motor and will replace all fuel lines when I put it back together.

fireman57

Captain

You did not say if it ran after you got it back from the dealer. Did you hear it run at the dealer? If not I would take it back to him and negotiate a lower rate for him to fix it correctly. I'm with the others that it sounds like an ignition problem. When it does not start do you have fire to the plugs? Are you using fresh mixture? You might have some water in your mixture that settles in the bottom of the carb when you stop. Put and inline fuel filter on this baby.

chimo

Cadet

Yes it ran after the "repair" I had it going at least a dozen times in the back yard(earmuffs). Went away fishing, ran fine for a couple of hours and then would not start. I was "fiddling" with it this weekend and it was hard to start. When it did start I couldn't keep it going. Gas was fresh.I checked the plugs again and they have good spark.

fireman57

Captain

How old is your gas tank? You may be picking up crud from it and reclogging your primer fitting. Check it again and see if it is clogged. If it is, then buy a brand new OMC/Bambardier tank. Don't buy and aftermarket. I've had limited success with them and two of them is more expensive that the real McCoy.

chimo

Cadet

It's as old as the motor. I did check the primer fitting. Pulled the hose off top of carb. Pulled the plunger and a good stream of gas came out. I'm going to check the other gas lines. Although if gas makes it's way to the carb bowl, then to primer port would that not suggest they are clear?

fireman57

Captain

Still sounds as though you are picking up trash in your carb and clogging some jets. It was cleaned by the dealer and ran well for a few hours. By then you could have picked up other crud from your tank and it has found it's way back into the carb.