Stringer Pushing through bottom of Boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Stringer Pushing through bottom of Boat?

I thought he was supposed to know by now... what happened?

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Out of all of the people commenting here, I think SnappingTurtle "gets it" the most. I also find it completely without surprise that someone with such good grasp of the basic problem, would be a guy who has spent a career in corporate communications.

In business, you live and die by your reputation with customers and Tahoe has done an abysmal job of protecting its image. It has left a customer, who spent a considerable amount of money on one of its products, wondering just what is going on for months. All should remember that bainyg is due to get his boat back soon and he still hasn't been told how it has been fixed! This sort of behavior reeks of a business that really doesn't give a damn about its customer. The fact that "good old home boy owner" doesn't know that this is how his business runs, just reinforces the idea that Tahoe is in serious need of management overhaul.

I have no sympathy for Tahoe at this point. Yes, they have been beat up pretty well here, but they deserve it and they get a big fat "F" in customer relations. It is also true that problems happen with other manufacturers, but that doesn't change the fact that the communication and slowness to react in this case, has been a huge issue.

As for the Walmart example, I think Snap also hit a home run - Walmart is famous for customer service. Like many people, I have had a problem here and there with a Walmart product, but they have always stand by those items with few questions asked and a great big smile. The following is just an example of this.

I once bought a lawn mower at Wally World and something was missing when I assembled it. I took the whole thing back but forgot my wallet, which had both my ID and the receipt in it. When I went to customer service and realized that I didn't have the receipt, the clerk simply asked when I bought it. When I told her that it was only about 90 minutes before, she asked me what the associate who helped me looked like. I described him and she called the dept. to see if he was still there - he was. The man soon appeared at customer service and promptly said that he remembered me and that he would be glad to exchange the product. Note that I have said nothing about a manager thus far. That's because there never was one involved -the associates were empowered by their employer to make a decision and act.

Another example is Winn Dixie grocery store v. Walmart groceries. At Winn Dixie, if I don't "prove my loyalty" by getting one of those dopey customer cards, I pay outrageously expensive prices. At the same time, Walmart asks me for the privilage of having me for a customer by simply offering good prices without conditions. Which store do you think I buy groceries in?

Customer loyalty isn't really all that hard to develop but, amazingly enough, most American corporations have very little clue how to garner it. In the case of Tahoe, I would modify that statement to indicate "no clue."

salty87

Commander

It has left a customer, who spent a considerable amount of money on one of its products, wondering just what is going on for months. All should remember that bainyg is due to get his boat back soon and he still hasn't been told how it has been fixed! This sort of behavior reeks of a business that really doesn't give a damn about its customer. The fact that "good old home boy owner" doesn't know that this is how his business runs, just reinforces the idea that Tahoe is in serious need of management overhaul.

while i agree that it seems that tahoe/bps/whomever did an awful job of communicating, we're also getting our information filtered through baineyg. i've found it hard to believe that someone would hand over their fully paid boat without getting any expectations for time and possible results. i don't believe for a second that tahoe doesn't have a policy regarding this sort of event. you should have been assigned someone specific to deal with the entire time but who knows what's really been happening??

vote with your dollars

cbavier

Lieutenant

while i agree that it seems that tahoe/bps/whomever did an awful job of communicating, we're also getting our information filtered through baineyg. i've found it hard to believe that someone would hand over their fully paid boat without getting any expectations for time and possible results. i don't believe for a second that tahoe doesn't have a policy regarding this sort of event. you should have been assigned someone specific to deal with the entire time but who knows what's really been happening??

vote with your dollars

Vote with your dollars is right. After 4 months bainey is still waiting. Tahoe bought a lot of bad advertising here. If you read all the posts as I have done. They have lost the sale of approximately ten boats just from their ineptness and certainly won't get any ecommendations from the some 17,000 hits on this post. Plus some other Boating Forums also. Even if they gave him a brand new boat. The bad advertising has all ready been done and it's irreversible.

i386

Captain

I bet they stock his "new" boat with all sorts of goodies.

cbavier

Lieutenant

I bet they stock his "new" boat with all sorts of goodies.

He will be lucky to get his gas back. It probably went in the gas tanks of the workers or big shots.

Houdini

Recruit

I have read enough, opting out my once considered Tracker Marine purchase. Regardless of how this sorts out - why roll the dice. The thread helped me immensely and decisively influenced my choice on where I will purchase my new center console and who will manufacture it, $100K or so. I started watching the thread in February, trying to learn more about Tracker Marine, the outfit behind Mako and SeaCraft boats and especially the relationship with BassProShops. I discussed the thread with the manager of the local Tracker shop (imbedded with BassProShops) some knowledgeable former insiders at Mako Marine and my fishing buddies. Conclusion after weighing all the input, I believe there is less risk and better value to be found elsewhere, especially look to smaller more agile manufacturers and their dealers who are better listeners and especially more in tune with current and potential customers. The marine industry is depressed and there is good value out there, find it. By all means take advantage of discussions like this. Previously a lurker, I joined just today to share my thoughts. Thanks to all the contributors!

baineyg

Seaman

I got a call from Tracker Marine Factory today. Of course I was at the dentist and again missed their call but they left a voice mail saying "my boat is finished.
She also said it will take up to two weeks to have it shipped back to vegas. I'm hoping it makes it by the 23rd so I can go boating over Memorial Day. I'll be sure to post some pics as to how the repairs look as soon as I can. Till then I'm anxiously awaiting BPS to call and say it has arrived.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Great bainyg hopefully they got it right this time. Anxious for you to post pictures and tell us what they did. Replace the hull or the whole boat?

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

Congrats Bainey.
Still don't know HOW it was fixed?
I guess we will all know in about 2 weeks.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Yup ... how they fixed it is the $25,000 question.

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been following this but this is my first post here. I don't understand why there wasn't more of a push to know prior to the start of repairs to find out if the hull was to be replace or repaired. :confused: I would think that he should have found this out first and accepted only a new hull. I would have been calling every day if necessary until I had the answer. Now that the boat is ready it looks like baineyg might be stuck with whatever course of action Tracker decided upon. I hope that he is getting a new hull.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I couldn't agree more. I'd also imagine that most of persons involved in the 18,000+ plus hits on this thread would agree.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I have been following this but this is my first post here. I don't understand why there wasn't more of a push to know prior to the start of repairs to find out if the hull was to be replace or repaired. :confused: I would think that he should have found this out first and accepted only a new hull. I would have been calling every day if necessary until I had the answer. Now that the boat is ready it looks like baineyg might be stuck with whatever course of action Tracker decided upon. I hope that he is getting a new hull.

Most warrantees say "repair or replace at manufacturers discression" or the like. It is most likely Trackers call on what the fix is, and that is that.

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most warrantees say "repair or replace at manufacturers discression" or the like. It is most likely Trackers call on what the fix is, and that is that.

Bingo! I said the same thing previosly. I don't believe there is any option to force Tahoe to do one or the other. It is their option. Personally, I would think they should replace it. But who knows.

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

What the warranty says is one thing. However what they should do is quite another based upon the poor customer service he has received and the huge amount of negative publicity Tracker has received so far. There are a lot of folks in the boating industry very interested in the outcome. Anything besides a new hull will further the negative image created by Tracker due to their slow and uncommunicative response to this problem. Hopefully they will make it right. We'll see. :)

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Alright!...Banieyg...Hope you do get your boat back by Memorial Day weekend. Perhaps the dealer can help you expedite the shipment. After all, you've been more than patient and understanding during this most unfortunate ordeal you've been put through.

However, I still can't believe after all this, Tracker Marine still has not notified you of how they fixed your boat. I'm sure they are aware of this thread. As a courtesy, I would think they would voluntarily give you this information.

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anything besides a new hull will further the negative image created by Tracker due to their slow and uncommunicative response to this problem.We'll see. :)

Does a new hull change the negative image to a positive one? No. Tahoe will not will the publicity battle here.

And for the record, I agree. I think Tahoe should replace the hull. But I feel like they are well within their rights to repair the hull. No one on this forum has enough information to make a concrete conclusion either way.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If Tahoe fixes this hull and it later comes apart, that is definately not that. Warranty or not, Tahoe will have put its self in a very precarious position.

If the hull is fixed and it later comes apart, resulting in bodily injury to anyone at all (or worse), Tahoe's insurance company will most certainly shell out a great deal of money to someone. They may even end up having to pay multiple parties.

Much of this thread has spoken of what is fair and reasonable with respect to bainyg, but there really is quite a bit more at stake. My personal opinion is that Tahoe would have to be out of its corporate mind to try to fix the original hull. It has serious defects in multiple locations and appears to have been laid up improperly. I just don't see any way that a decision to do anything other than to replace the hull, could end up being a sensible and financially safe remedy.

But, as many of us have said, we shall see.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I couldn't find the warrentee on Trackers website. But if its anything like new automobile warrentees, they manufacturer has the choice of what parts to use in the repairs. Like Toyota can use used or rebuilt transmissions in their warrentee repair. The new part is covered by any balance of the original warrentee and not extended.

I doubt Tracker or other boat manufacturers are much different. My guess is that they will fix the boat, not extend any warrentee on the repair, nor load up his boat with goodies to make up for it. His is just one in a line of warrentee repairs they make. If the fix they make fails within the warrentee period, they will fix it again. Once the warrentee is up, he is on his own. I also doubt that this thread will have any measurable impact on Tracker sales. In a few weeks this thread will be burried, and a search on yahoo for Tracker Tahoe will not turn it up.

I don't want to seem negative, but that is my point of view from real world experience with new expensive things and repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.