Does this make sense to you??

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Stopped by my (previously) favorite country liquor store yesterday to pick up some jug burgundy for the bison stew I plan to make this weekend.

As I was checking out I noticed a carton on the counter by the cash register. It was egg crated and had a couple dozen glass things in it. They were about 2" of 1/2" tube with a globe, about 7/8", on the end. There is about a 3/8" hole in the side of the globe.

Looked to me a lot like what I see people being arrested for possessing on "COPS".:eek:

Today I called the Sheriff of that county and explained my suspicion. They said they would check it out and call me back.

Deputy called me this afternoon. "Yep", he said, "Those are crack pipes alright. We will keep an eye on them."

"Huh??", sez I. "Did you bust 'em?"

"Can't do that", he says. "It isn't illegal to sell them, just to possess or use them.":eek:

Huh??:eek::confused::confused::mad:

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Does this make sense to you??

How crazy is that? That is messed up.

Speaking of a similar incident, seems to me that I seen marijuana bongs, supposedly "novelty items" for sale some place but I can't remember where.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Almost all legal smokeshops sell pipes clearly not designed for tobacco . . . Just look around.

angus63

Captain

Isn't the shop owner in possession of these pipes if they are on display for sale in his shop?

puddle jumper

Captain

Ya i know what your saying. Its not illegal to own it but don't use it for what its intended for. May be if thay would out law the drug paraphernalia
rather parade it in front of every one the drug use would go down.
I don't know just this dumb world we live in.:mad:

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I'm so preoccupied with figuring out how to get some of the bison stew that I can't formulate an opinion on the whole crack pipe situation....

D

DJ

Almost all legal smokeshops sell pipes clearly not designed for tobacco . . . Just look around.

Correct. On a sadder note, the mid US has found a new industry. That is: Crack.:(

Tyme2fish

Commander

It isn't illegal to sell them, just to possess or use them.":eek:

Then the store is in possestion. Arrest the OWNERS BEHIND. NOT THE $6.00/HR CLERK on duty:mad::mad:

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

It isn't illegal to sell them, just to possess or use them.":eek:

Then the store is in possestion. Arrest the OWNERS BEHIND. NOT THE $6.00/HR CLERK on duty:mad::mad:

That's my thought exactly... but I'm sure they have some kind of tobacco sellers liscense that somehow covers them.

Maybe you could stir up some trouble for them through the BBB and FTC if you file complaints with both... probably wouldn't amount to much, but who knows, maybe the owners are truely cluess that these are crackpipes and will pull them when they have to write responses to the BBB and FTC. It's worth a shot anyway.

Oh, you might also contact the FBI... federal and state laws often differ, so they may be able to do something (just like how the FBI has busted several medical marijuana businesses in California even though medical marijuana is legal in that state via state laws, it's still a federal offense though).

SgtMaj

oops!

Supreme Mariner

in canada they sell that stuff all over.....

i think its so stupid...they call them head shops......

i wished the cops would hang out in front and question everyone that came out........but thats against the law...!!!!!

that stuff is killin our kids

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

that stuff is killin our kids

Or worse... turns kids into killers, willing to rob and kill their own parents for the $20 cash it takes to get high one more time.

That is BAD stuff.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

I saw some news story last week about "Medical Marijuana VENDING MACHINES"!!!!!!!!!

Robbery and Theft just waiting to happen!!!!!!

In my opinion of course.

tashasdaddy

they now have to put them out of view here, but still sell them. here it is not against the law to smoke crack, it is just the possession. they sell the crack stems here, with a fake rose inside, so the are not pipes.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

I saw some news story last week about "Medical Marijuana VENDING MACHINES"!!!!!!!!!

Robbery and Theft just waiting to happen!!!!!!

In my opinion of course.

Yeah I think I saw that same article... but I did find out that they are being kept inside doctors offices, and they aren't like regular vending machines that take cash, you have to use a one-time use code that the doctor provides etc... so that should make it a little less likely to be stolen from.

Either way, marjiuana and crack are in two completely seperate leagues. You don't see pot heads going around shooting people to steal their money... mostly because pot heads are too lazy to do much of anything.

Pot heads I don't worry about. If they want to do nothing with their lives, that's their choice. Crack heads on the other hand, they should be rounded up and put into some kind of year long rehab with no connections to the outside world (no way to smuggle the stuff in) and forced to get clean; and if that doesn't work, they should be put somewhere like an island or something where they can't have any effect on the rest of the world.

tashasdaddy

i agree with them being separate. i'd rather work with a man who is a pot smoker, than and man who is a drunk, always hung over. having spent so many years in construction, i've worked with all of them.

gonefishie

Commander

Ask the clerk or the store owner what that pipe is. They will tell you that it is a "tobacco pipe", perfectly legal if it is used for "tobacco". Go into any head shop and ask them for a bong and they will tell you they don't have any. Now "water pipe", they will have plenty.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Similar to selling al the other crap as far as I am concerned. I don't like it either.

MikDee

Banned

Yes, it all seems outta control,,, thanks for the education, I never paid enough attention to that stuff to know exactly what it was, or how it was used, but it sounds like pretty creative/deceptive packaging, I guess I just thought it was only used for pot, not crack, so now I have a whole different perspective on those pipes.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

I think maybe you misunderstood the cop. In my area it's not against the law to posses a pipe of any kinda as long as it has no residue of a illegal drug in it.