winterizing

bosavy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
the marina were i am at they do not me to use enthanol glycol because of enveromental impact.1 can i use the r/v stuff [which i already did] or just drain everything. it's a 5.7 liter i/o thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: winterizing

or just drain everything.

Ayuh,....... That's what I do,.......

Air just Doesn't Freeze.......
And,.....
It's Reasonably Non-Toxic..........

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Air just Doesn't Freeze.......
And,.....
It's completely Non-Toxic..........

Not sure I can buy that Non-Toxic comment, ever been to the big cities??? :p :p ;)

LA Smog

LA-smog-2.jpg

ziggy

Admiral

thats what my phsycologist dad call the i gottya game bondo.......:)

bosavy, air is just fine. yer good to go. antifreeze is better for the anti corriosion features of antifreeze. my merc dealer sells me that pink rv stuff so it MUST be ok. same brand went thru -15*F last year. alledgedly environmentaly safe. i flushed what i used in the spring.....now he says he's usein merc antifreeze himself though. bulk. won't sell me any, whatever....... i think the key is gettin all the water out of the system. then yer hip either way......

Last edited:

dmcb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not sure I can buy that Non-Toxic comment, ever been to the big cities???

Just drove past LA and had to have the admiral go before the motorhome with a big knife to cut a path I could drive through.
Doug

Don S

What???? You sent her out in that???? Man, that's mean. Is she going to be ok after breathing that stuff?

dmcb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well she won't drive the motorhome.
Doug

gene8084

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats what my phycologist dad call the i gottya game bondo.......:)

bosavy, air is just fine. yer good to go. antifreeze is better for the anti corriosion features of antifreeze. my merc dealer sells me that pink rv stuff so it MUST be ok. same brand went thru -15*F last year. alledgedly environmentaly safe. i flushed what i used in the spring.....now he says he's usein merc antifreeze himself though. bulk. won't sell me any, whatever....... i think the key is gettin all the water out of the system. then yer hip either way......

Do you run on the muffs to get the pink stuff in or are you pulling hoses and pouring it in?

ziggy

Admiral

Do you run on the muffs to get the pink stuff in or are you pulling hoses and pouring it in?

on my 165hp L6, i pull the t-stat houseing, then pour it into the block and the manifold......

Bondo

Staff member

Not sure I can buy that Non-Toxic comment, ever been to the big cities???

OK Don,.......
I edited my 1st responce to take into consideration your concerns...............:D

Btw,......
Ayuh,.... I've been to the Big Cities, all over America....
Most of them several times,..... NYC, Many times.......
And,..... I liked LA the Least,..... Probably Chi-town the Best.......
From the eyes of a Trucker anyways........

Don S

OK Don,.......
I edited my 1st responce to take into consideration your concerns...............:D

Sorry, I just couldn't pass that one up :D

bosavy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i use muffs and a 5 gal pail of the pink stuff . i run it up to temp then drain all the water out of it then start and let the pink flow trough at the same time i install defog down the carb . thanks

Don S

i use muffs and a 5 gal pail of the pink stuff . i run it up to temp then drain all the water out of it then start and let the pink flow trough at the same time i install defog down the carb . thanks

That method works about HALF the time, do you feel lucky?

Better method is to drain everything completely, then dump in AF thru the T-Stat housing.

EDIT:
Oops, just noticed you said you DRAIN it first, then run the AF in.