2 cycles to be outlawed

lndshk

Cadet
I was told , that 2 cycle engines may not be legally sold 10 years from now. That seems harsh, and I don't think they can stop the use of those already sold, seems like too much regulation. What do you think?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2 cycles to be outlawed

I think you posted an engine question where (not engine topics) is the rule.

I will move this to Non-repair outboard.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

They will die out through attrition, and parts unobtainable...new motors made will be made to EPA/Clean water standards. Outlawed depends on where ya live, and the body of water it goes into.

QC

Supreme Mariner

There is usually some sanity that prevails after insanity begins to take hold . . . I guarantee that BRP (Evinrude) will have a thing or two to say since they are cleaner than 4 cycles with the 2 cycle ETEC's. Also, much of the new language I have read, in isolated lake examples, is 4 cycle or EFI 2 cycle. It is mainly carbed 2 cycles that have the really bad rap sheet . . .

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think that DFI 2 strokes, particularly the etec Evinrudes, have proven that 2 stroke engines can be made to run as clean as most 4 strokes.

Future regulations will require all new outboards to meet strict emission standards without discriminating against particular technologies or outlawing the millions of carbed 2 strokes in use.

Local laws may continue to ban carbed 2 strokes because of the inconvenience of enforcing localized emissions standards.

I agree with SCAATY except that I don't think great lightweight engines like the OMC 3 to 4.5 twins will go away in our lifetimes. They can be converted to run on ethanol and biodegradable oils to meet most emission standards.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Love the news media. Keep you hyped up with all their crap so that you can't concentrate on what you need to be concentrating on.

I especially like the ethnic diverse (so that it appeals to everyone) cast of "Evening News from Channel XYZ" (see them plastered on billboards all over town.....competing with the other channels of similar notearity) all ready to get your stomach in turmoil just as you get home after the day's work, and commuter traffic, and listen to the kids problems, and the wife's contribution.

Like some other things I can think of. Controlling the masses through fear!

Worry about it when it happens, just like if you get West Nile from a mosquito, or botulism from a can of sauce, or fall off the top of the Empire State Building.

Mark

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I was told , that 2 cycle engines may not be legally sold 10 years from now.

That's optimistic. I heard global warming was going to have all the water dried up in 8 years anyway.

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's optimistic. I heard global warming was going to have all the water dried up in 8 years anyway.

Nah, that ain't it. Global warming is going to raise sea levels to make my property valuable ocean front property nearly 200 miles from the Atlantic. We already had hurricane Hugo tear up the place years ago. Just a matter of time....

Gotta go work on my pier now.

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

Might I suggest using the "SEARCH" button?

Welcome to iboats!

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that this is not a troll. This is frequently debated here and you will find a wealth of information. The folks here are very generous with their information and will bend over backwords to help you out. But, this is frequently debated here and you will more likely find better info if you use the search feature.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Simple misunderstanding. Direct Injected 2-strokes are not included. They're referring to conventional 2-strokes. Very few conventional 2-strokes are made anymore. Some places will ban using conventionals altogether. Most will probably grandfather them in. But the manufacturers have already almost completely phased them out from production. OptiMax, E-tec, HPDI, and the other DFIs will still be made and sold.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I think that DFI 2 strokes, particularly the etec Evinrudes, have proven that 2 stroke engines can be made to run as clean as most 4 strokes.

Future regulations will require all new outboards to meet strict emission standards without discriminating against particular technologies or outlawing the millions of carbed 2 strokes in use.

Local laws may continue to ban carbed 2 strokes because of the inconvenience of enforcing localized emissions standards.

I agree with SCAATY except that I don't think great lightweight engines like the OMC 3 to 4.5 twins will go away in our lifetimes. They can be converted to run on ethanol and biodegradable oils to meet most emission standards.
Yep, big guy...aint no way they will get my 50's 3hp weedless drives (2), my 4hp 84 (its gets sold to neighbors for the RBoat, but I have first rights on it if selling).., my 61 5.5 Johnny, OR my Rude 23 pound "oar" (2hp 71 "Mate")..might not be as fast as a speeding bullet, but I own those too to keep them at bay while I slowly, quietly, with zero vibration, motor home!:D

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

i'll stop ridding in old carrby 2 stroke when i am dead.the EPA can go choke on some fumes

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Not to set pollution aside, but 2 strokes just make for better boat motors. Especially if you are pulling up a water skier or just like the feeling you get when you put the throttle down and your boat lunges up on plane like a race horse just out of the gate.

4 strokes just do not have the torque and are better suited for automobiles with transmissions and lawn mowers that do not need this. Pushing a boat is quite a load, at all times, and in my opinion it is work better done by a 2 stroke.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Love the news media. Keep you hyped up with all their crap so that you can't concentrate on what you need to be concentrating on.

I especially like the ethnic diverse (so that it appeals to everyone) cast of "Evening News from Channel XYZ" (see them plastered on billboards all over town.....competing with the other channels of similar notearity) all ready to get your stomach in turmoil just as you get home after the day's work, and commuter traffic, and listen to the kids problems, and the wife's contribution.

Like some other things I can think of. Controlling the masses through fear!

Worry about it when it happens, just like if you get West Nile from a mosquito, or botulism from a can of sauce, or fall off the top of the Empire State Building.

Mark

Jeez, ya did a darn good job of putting life in perspective with this post!
Like my old 87 year old neighbor "Barney" used to say if I asked him if anything bothered him...
"If I wake up in the morning and open my eyes, my job is done..the rest of the day will take care of itself just fine"..:D:cool:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Scatty. I tell you man, being retired and not taking a news paper nor watching local television makes for an enjoyable life and low blood pressure. I get all the news I want off my satellite and it usually amounts to something. You know stress kills!

Mark

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Yep, I was lucky to get retired at 44..13 years now (Reynolds Aluminum Machinist) when the closed the plant..had 21 years of time in, and age equaled Rule of 65 for a pension. Took quite awhile to give up the old ways (read the paper end to end, never miss "news".
Quit the local rag a few years back. Now just laugh at the mass of cable news shows with 13 opinions, the CNBC "game Show"..
Aint worth the effort anymore, as me complaining in the past never did make a bit of difference..

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hear you man! No body that matters cares about your opinion anyway. Takes awhile for a person to figure that out.

Mark

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Hear you man! No body that matters cares about your opinion anyway. Takes awhile for a person to figure that out.

Mark
No body that matters cares about your opinion anyway.
Well, been steering Harleys for a long time, raised by the eyetalins back in the Chicago suburbs, and if in person, I sure can...:eek:
But even then..made zip in the outcome of the world in the long run...so now, I just agree, nod, turn my head, smirk, giggle, and walk away...:D