Seating in front of windshield while underway?

Expidia

Commander
My boat 14' 9" in length. Sticker says 4 adults or 660 lbs. 1025 lbs total people, motor and gear. Has 6 different places to move the seat posts.

Boat came with a yellow warning label on the front seat post position (and also one on the high stern position) not to seat anyone in these positions while underway above trolling speeds because they could be ejected!

Other than the drivers seat which is immovable none of the other seat posts "lock" in place. Mostly gravity holds these posts in place.

I've had people sit up there at higher speeds already (about 20 mph) and if I see a wake, I cut the throttle . . .

My question is . . . is it illegal (at least in NY) to seat someone in that in front of the windshield seat position. It's about 6 inches higher on that front platform.
Seems to be a stable ride up there.

Do you think that the warning label was on there to reduce the manufacturers liability since people would be riding up there at full throttle if they didn't sticker it?

Doesn't seem to be a handling issue with someone sitting there either.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Seating in front of windshield while underway?

and if I see a wake, I cut the throttle . . .
what if ya don't see the wake?

i have no idea if it's legel or not. but common sense would dictate that it's probably a bad idea. it'd sure be a bummer to chop up yer family with a prop if they did fall out, accidently.......

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Your local law enforcement agencies should have web sites which would address the issue; including the USCG.

If you look at how the pin in inserted into the alum tube on pedestal seats you wouldn't be riding the seat at any speed besides trolling.

Mark

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

For Florida the rule is:

Unlawful Operation in Florida.
"Allowing passengers to ride on the bow,gunwale,transom,seat backs,seats on raised decks or any other place with the likelihood of falling overboard."

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

question:
"Do you think that the warning label was on there to reduce the manufacturers liability since people would be riding up there at full throttle if they didn't sticker it?"

answer:
I don't doubt they want to reduce their liability, but I genuinely believe that sticker is on there because its a dangerous thing to do. I can honestly say that in my thousands of hours on the water I've never seen anyone riding on casting deck while under way. It's just suicide.

Expidia

Commander

Thanks for all of your input . . . I rechecked the boats manual and it definitely says don't have anyone occupy platform above trolling speeds for fear of falling overboard.

The reason I asked this is that the yellow sticker that was just stuck on the seat base was like an after thought by Lund.

One would think if this was so dangerous that it would be actually be painted on the base in a red warning letters. Kind of like the statement you find on the back or front of car visors now telling you that the air bag can go off.

The smallish yellow sticker was just stuck on there very haphazzardly.

To me, that upfront space was used on my last boat where there was bench seat on my last 13 foot Sylvan utility boat. People sat up there!

I didn't really look at this front area as a casting platform like on a bass boat. Seemed to me the only reason it was up a few inches from the rest of the deck is to make space for the trolling battery stored in the hatch below the platform.

I guess the difference is on this new boat that the seat is on a pedestal which is only held in by gravity.

I understood why you wouldn't sit on the stern seat while going fast as that seat base is "way" up high.

I see people going by me on bass type rigs with someone on the bow or front seat while cruising along.

I'll try and post a pic:

This pic is actually of a 1625 classic which shows the bow area better in their stock photos. My transom rear seat is up a lot higher due to the space for the portable gas tank. This model pictured has a low transom because it has a built in gas tank.

07_SH-1660ClassicSS.jpg

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Put bow rails and a latching seat and you are good to go. Just adding 3 inch rails turns my Lund into a legal bowrider. (Well, they are factory rails, so in truth, I didn't add them, but that is beside the point.)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you need to check the state boating laws, as in some states it is illegal for passengers to ride in the bow of bowriders designed for it. if you are talking about a pedistal fishing seat in the bow, you'd never catch me up there.

take your states safe boating course, and you would know the answer.

Expidia

Commander

you need to check the state boating laws, as in some states it is illegal for passengers to ride in the bow of bowriders designed for it. if you are talking about a pedistal fishing seat in the bow, you'd never catch me up there.

take your states safe boating course, and you would know the answer.

I did already and this was not discussed. In NY one needs to take the course now if you want to drive a jetski.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hey J, your Avatar is most annoying and not the least bit original. I know the nerd doing the commercial and for whom; both disgusting; not even better than the disgusting tree frog that talks out of both sides of his arse.....ever try to camp on the lake at night.....ever hear the disgusting tree frogs croaking all night long; besides when did a tree frog learn to talk.....out of both sides of his mouth at the same time; much less know anything about anything. I liked Tom Cruise much better.

I have seen the mom-dad thing where the kid is on the seat, bass boat, on the bow, boat doing over 30 mph.

Had I been Texas Parks and Wildlife enforcement officer there would have been a citation administered, maybe I'd taken "dad" to jail just for the hell of it.....teach him a lesson.

Course the nimcompoops that do this sort of thing are just the one's that are up in arms when anything happens and it's the boat builder's fault and time for a liability suit.

Well if I were a juror in that, I would probably throw the plantiff in jail for stupidity and child endangerment.

Nuf said.

Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hey J, balls in your court dude!!!!!!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hey J, your Avatar is most annoying and not the least bit original. I know the nerd doing the commercial and for whom; both disgusting; not even better than the disgusting tree frog that talks out of both sides of his arse.....ever try to camp on the lake at night.....ever hear the disgusting tree frogs croaking all night long; besides when did a tree frog learn to talk.....out of both sides of his mouth at the same time; much less know anything about anything. I liked Tom Cruise much better.

I have seen ....

Mark

What was that all about? I didn't see anything out of line from Jtexas..... Or am I missing the obvious?

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What was that all about? I didn't see anything out of line from Jtexas..... Or am I missing the obvious?

I was kind of wondering the same thing. Must be something in the air today.

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class

My bow rider was designed for riding up front and the seating positions are just as low and safe as those just behind the windshield IMHO. The only safer place would be in the stern either side of the motor box, but I can't drive from way back there.

To me if they are designed for it to be accomplished safely and no laws restrict it it is up to the owner of the boat and the riders if adults, if younger kids it should be up to the parents. Just remember I said "if" it is safe and legal.

If this is just about a pedestal seat then never mind my previous comments. I did it as a kid 40 years ago and survived it but I would not recommend that activity now for anyone. Wisdom comes with time and life experiences. ;)

Last edited:

SuzukiChopper

I would think that with an actual bow rider, if the persons sitting up front are indeed sitting there won't be a problem. Someone on a pedestal seat up front on a casting plaform, no thank you. Unless high enough rails are around, there's just nothing stopping them from going over.

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer

Check out the 1978 Glastron ad. By the way, very nice boat (same as mine).:D

Attachments

• glastron bow.JPG
    glastron bow.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 0

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

^
|
|
|
^

;)

burroak

I have seen the mom-dad thing where the kid is on the seat, bass boat, on the bow, boat doing over 30 mph.

Had I been Texas Parks and Wildlife enforcement officer there would have been a citation administered, maybe I'd taken "dad" to jail just for the hell of it.....teach him a lesson.

Course the nimcompoops that do this sort of thing are just the one's that are up in arms when anything happens and it's the boat builder's fault and time for a liability suit.

Well if I were a juror in that, I would probably throw the plantiff in jail for stupidity and child endangerment.

Nuf said.

Mark

Dang, Mark!

Get someome up to Wal-Mart for those meds, or did you just start early on the Lone Star longnecks?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Tom Cruise?