XP, Norton, AVG

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Win XP and my Norton has expired (yipee ;) ) I decided to purchase AVG with the goodies and a 2 year subscription. I use a free copy at work.

WOW! What a huge differance. AVG has nailed 13 virus problems :eek: and is doing a great job. :)

Bye bye Norton.... never again. :D

Xcusme

Commander
Re: XP, Norton, AVG

There are many folks that swear by Norton, I found myself swearing AT Norton.....I consider it bloatware in the third degree. I personally dumped Norton years ago.

ZmOz

Captain

I've never used any anti virus software for my personal computers. The only time I've ever had a virus was once back when windows 95 was still cool.
fce32f95.gif

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've gotta admit I had norton on my Windows 98 pc and I gave up with norton because I had more then 1 virus and had to wipe the hdd every time. I went to the free version of AVG because its more of a rec computer. I use a quite a few different programs just to get a good all around check tho. AVG, Ad-Aware, Avast, Window washer and spy sweeper so I get a good check. Best of all most of them are free or were/are for me...;)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I used to be a big Norton fan and recommended it to everyone who I did computer work for. But with each new release it got more and more bloated. A couple years ago I switched to Eset Software's NOD32. It's a tad pricey but I love it. It doesn't impact the performance of my PC one bit. It has saved my butt a number of times by alerting me to infected files before they could so any damage.

rwise

Captain

dumped norton years ago because it don't work! and its fat, takes over your machine. and mcafee too! I put avg free on windows units I work on, meself I runs linux;):cool:

Coors

Captain

Yep, a pox on Norton. I like the free avast, also

rndn

Commander

I installed the new Norton 360 a few weeks ago and what a bad choice. It slowed everything down to the point I had to disable several options just to use my PC. Never, never, never again.

i386

Captain

Norton/Symantec products have become so bloated in recent years that you can't use them without taking a significant performance hit. It's also not uncommon for the uninstaller to fail leaving you with the option of using their removal tool (rnav.exe) or following the lengthy manual removal instructions.

Like others have said, I no longer recommend Symantec Antivirus products though I am a big fan of Symantec Backup Exec (formerly Veritas Backup Exec). Symantec bought them out. I really hope they don't screw up Backup Exec.

For the home user, I recommend AVG or AVG free. I haven't tried Avast, but I hear lots of good things about it. Another one I've been hearing about is Kaspersky. I've heard in independent tests it has the best detection. I haven't tried it yet.

For business use, I used to recommend and install Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition. From the Symantec System Center Console you could manage all your clients. You can also "push" the client out to workstations without having to visit each one to install it.

Now I'm using AVG Network Edition. The interface isn't quite as polished as Symantec's but it's much simpler and it does the same thing. It costs about 1/2 as much as Symantec too if you get the 2 year license. If something goes wrong with it, it's easy to remove, unlike Symantec's products.

Coors

Captain

You can't beat a Norton out of your system, without a third-party un-installer.
It's own un-install sucks. It's own renewal doesn't work.
I had Kaspersky on one computer that the mobo'd capacitors died on- forgot about Kasp; it was good, I will reload it.
I'm running Avast on 4 computers, and love life, for a change.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

I've never used any anti virus software for my personal computers. The only time I've ever had a virus was once back when windows 95 was still cool.
fce32f95.gif

How would you know if you had a virus? :eek:

I've heard good things about TrendMico as well.

ZmOz

Captain

How would you know if you had a virus?

Computer slows down/acts funny/stops working completely, and extra processes running in the task manager. I don't have a firewall and my wireless network is wide open too.
fce32f95.gif

Computer viruses are just like STDs...be careful where you put your clicker and you won't get infected. ;)

rwise

Captain

yep Z I used to say that too, then one fine morning I got caught with my pants down. I powered up the "internet lab" (1 server and 3 clients) and had [SIZE=-1]Chernobyl[/SIZE], 3 mother boards killed(replaced bios chip on one), all hard drives were fat12. After that I put on anti virus products.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Yep Norton is CARP!!! I'm just waiting until my scrip expires before replacing it forever. Wife's Norton rolled-over and died a month after renewing it.... I cannot repair it come love nor money. It used to set the standard for anti-bug warez, but now -- I am done with it.

Coors

Captain

Yep Norton is CARP!!! I'm just waiting until my scrip expires before replacing it forever. Wife's Norton rolled-over and died a month after renewing it.... I cannot repair it come love nor money. It used to set the standard for anti-bug warez, but now -- I am done with it.

And the PC mags/web sites say the same thing.
Norton management ignores it's problems
Symantec management is committing suicide.
And a pox on them- this problem is years old.