Knee Jerk reaction or common sense

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Okay, I did it. I am not sure if I consider it a knee jerk reaction or common sense but I ordered my home heating oil delivery today.

I have a 1000 gallon tank which allows for one delivery and I usually consume 700-800 gallons per year.

The prices I have been getting were from a low of 2.39 up to 2.79 / gallon. Since I am a sigle delivery event I managed to get the low price.

I figure that the oil situation is either going to get worse with time but I doubt there will be a miracle drop before Winter sets in.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Knee Jerk reaction or common sense

Probably wise.....
Big OIL is always willing & eager to rob your eyeballs out, given any excuse......
Since global warming has reduced the demand for heating oil they will have to raise prices next winter just to keep their doors open.....
*SNIFF*.........:rolleyes:

aspeck

Staff member

Only time will tell ...

QC

Supreme Mariner

Blo-Yo,

Did a big oil exec steal a lolli-pop from you when you were just a tot?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

No, they have been consistantly robbing me for 47 years Quibbling Cat......:D

QC

Supreme Mariner

You need to move to Venezuela with rodbolt . . . he did it for love of a woman, you should do it for love of a system. Seriously, not Quibbling, just making a suggestion that is consistent with your understanding of life. They "get it" there, and have figured out how to fix it . . .

(BTW all, I am determined to help the Blo-Yo with his problems. No one should live life so confused, angry, distrusting and unhappy. Sorry for extending this painful exercise. I feel it is my moral duty.)

QC

Supreme Mariner

BTW, question from a Southern Californian that knows absolutely nothing about heating oil. Does the price typically go down in summer when the demand goes down? Demand down = price down?

(Sorry all, another lesson for the Blo-Yo for my continued program of educating the confused.)

Bob_VT

Staff member

Yes the price of heating oil is somewhat better in the summer. During the "demand" period the price is high and the local companies are stressed. Our winter usually lasts from Oct-May with the heat on.

JRJ

Commander

Curious what you paid last year Bob? Probably a good idea to fill up now. Hard telling what all the big libs will mess up.

ricksrster

Commander

Bob,
You have a BIG tank there for your BIG oil. Do you have a BIG house and a BIG furnace?
Haut,
If we didn't drive BIG boats would BIG oil go broke?

Bob_VT

Staff member

I paid 2.29 last year.

Rick the house is over 3500 but I only heat 2/3 of that. It is very well insulated and the furnace is a forced hot air 130000 btu that I keep a 1.0 nozzle in all that plus the set back thermostat.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Bob,
You have a BIG tank there for your BIG oil. Do you have a BIG house and a BIG furnace?
Haut,
If we didn't drive BIG boats would BIG oil go broke?
'Course not, they would find other ways to chisel ya......;)
HMMMMMM......
If they are making less heating oil in the summer in the northern hemisphere, why don't they have the resources to increase gas production during that period........:confused:
I'd move to Venezuela, but it is full of Venezuelans......
'Course if'n Dummy gets his way they will all be here.......:rolleyes:

QC

Supreme Mariner

If they are making less heating oil in the summer in the northern hemisphere, why don't they have the resources to increase gas production during that period.......
Uhhh, like a new refinery . . . Speakin' of Dummy . . .

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Oh, I see....
The heating oil refinery just sits dormant all summer......:rolleyes:

QC

Supreme Mariner

The heating oil refinery just sits dormant all summer......:rolleyes:
Dude, like wow, you know this . . . A heating oil refinery is not a gasoline refinery . .. You should market that conversion kit you got there . . .

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Last time I bought oil I paid 1.89,,,,but that was Sept 05. I have a 260 gallon tank and still have about 120 left. Of course I burn lots and lots of wood. Its a pain to do all the work, but having a nice toasty house is wonderful too!

Hopefully I won't need another fill up til Sept 09! Wunder what the price per gallon will be then?

Bob_VT

Staff member

UPDATE :) total delivery 588 gallons Actually pleased that I conserved so much.

I used to burn wood but with my wife and I having such odd hours it is difficult to keep it going. I do keep almost a cord on hand just in case of a power outage.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I used to burn wood but with my wife and I having such odd hours it is difficult to keep it going. I do keep almost a cord on hand just in case of a power outage.
They're trying to outlaw that here . . . :rolleyes: :mad:

Bob_VT

Staff member

If the Gov't would simply outlaw "odd hours" that would be a plus!

Wood heat is absolutely the best IMO. If I crank up the wood stove I can get the house to 80 in no time and it always seems at about 2 am in the morning it is closer to 90 degrees. I wish I had a schedule and hours that permitted all wood use.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

No, they have been consistantly robbing me for 47 years Quibbling Cat......:D

Haut, you just won't be happy until the circle is completed with the Government making up the difference between what you pay now and what most of the rest of the world pays. Your liberal buddies would just jump at the chance to bring er up to 5-6 dollars a gallon. After all isn't that what rolmop's group has been telling us we should be paying? After all, why should we be better off than the rest of the industrialized world?