Volvo outdrive trim

leibin81

Cadet
I have an 86 Elminitor with a Volvo 290 outdrive. The outdrive was sagging when it was raised, and would sag under load in the water. I replaced the hydraulic trim pump, and there is no sagging anymore. The outdrive stays trimmed under load as well. <br />The problem is I can only tilt it down while under load, I cannot trim it up while over 10 mph. Any suggestions on my next step? Any advice would be appreciated.<br />Thanks in advance!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo outdrive trim

Did you have to change any wiring when you replaced the pump?<br />Are you sure you have the right pump?<br />How about the hoses, they in the right fittings? and what oil are you using. and which pump do you have early or late model.<br /><br />
Volvo%20Trim%20Pump%20Hoses.png

leibin81

Cadet

I replaced the older model pump with the Arco replacement pump part #6224 which looks like the newer model pump. I used the recommended Dextron Type Automatic Transmission Fluid. Now, the previous owners had the trim/tilt switch reversed. Green to white wire and white to green wire at the plug about 6-12" off the pump. So when I pushed the button, I had to push down on the switch to make the outdrive go up and vice versa. I switched those at the plug to make the switch run the way it was intended (push up to make the outdrive go up). The other thing, is the diagram included with the ARCO pump inicated that the high pressure port and low pressure port were on opposite sides of the original pump. I am wondering when I switched them based on their location on the old pump, to their new location on the new pump, if the previous owners didn't already have them backwards. Would this be the place to start? Will I do any damage if I swap the high and low pressure hoses? Did I provide enough info? <br /><br />Thanks Don S, any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Don S

Put the hoses on like the drawing I posted. The #1 and #3 hoses are low pressure<br />#2 and #4 are high pressure<br />Hook them up like the drawing and change the wiring to work the right direction.

leibin81

Cadet

So do I need to pull the transom shield to identify the low pressure and high pressure lines marked by red and white? And then once I identify them, trace them all the way to the hydraulic trim pump? I this the only way to ensure my lines are hooked up correctly?

Don S

Just look at the drawing, it shows the proper location of the hoses on the transom shield.<br />Hoses #2 go on the fitting toward the front of the boat.

leibin81

Cadet

I have checked and re-checked the hoses. They are plumbed correctly. So now that I am not working with the high and lower pressure system being a problem. Is the next step the seals on the rams? Is there a rebuild kit for the rams on a Volvo 290 that is 20 years old (1986)? How big of a project is pulling the rams?