Boating the Upper Chesapeake

skargo

Banned
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Thanks Kyle, all the more reason to not go to across to launch.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

look for a ramp around 39* 34' 31 N and 75* 35' 19.90W. I thought I was driving into a housing complex but the ramp was nice and there is gas right across the canal if you want to stay ethanol free.

There is a boat ramp that can handlle most any size boat but there is a fee. When your on 213 cross the bridge facing towards Ceciltown ,just after crossing the bridge ,turn right onto Glebe RD. cross over a small bridge and Lostens marine is on the left. Or if you are near Indian Acres there's a county run ramp at Stemmers Run, that's the one I use all the time. There are two ramps there.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

There is a boat ramp that can handlle most any size boat but there is a fee. When your on 213 cross the bridge facing towards Ceciltown ,just after crossing the bridge ,turn right onto Glebe RD. cross over a small bridge and Lostens marine is on the left. Or if you are near Indian Acres there's a county run ramp at Stemmers Run, that's the one I use all the time. There are two ramps there.
Lostens ramp is very nice. Great place to launch. The only problem is it is a little tight to maneuver once you're in the water. Lime4x4 launched there once with his 28' Searay and he won't go back again...little too tight for his tastes. I personally don't have a problem with my 28' Wellcraft, but I have two engines to use to maneuver and he only has one. I remember riding my bicycle down from Long Point when I was but a tot to buy fishing hooks and sometimes worms if we couldn't dig our own. Bought many a handline there as well.

Silver Eagle

Argh, can't see that on the map, but see one accessible from Fort Dupont State Park on the Branch Canal @ Delaware City.

I don't know which way you are going on Rt 9 But if you have to cross the bridge from Port Penn area as soon as you come to the bottom of the bridge you stop and make a sharp left hand turn. follow the road to you see an open gate on the left. That Governor Bacon health Center. Follow the road streight Till you see a sign saying boat ramp. Follow te sign. You need a Delaware boat sticker to use the ramp. It's one of the best ramps in Delaware with plenty of Parking. I live in New Castle area and I tow my boat to the Area I want to boat in. This saves gas for the boat. Our trailer is at Elk View Shores and we have our own private boat ramp. Buttonwood has there own two. Both are in Deep water on the Elk River. If your at Indian Acres ,Stemmers run would be your best choice. It's close and there are two ramps. and plenty of parking. all blacktop parking.

So who all is going boating this weekend?? I went last night for a few hours.. I'll be out tomorrow and Sunday.. It's supposed to be really nice.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know which way you are going on Rt 9 But if you have to cross the bridge from Port Penn area as soon as you come to the bottom of the bridge you stop and make a sharp left hand turn. follow the road to you see an open gate on the left. That Governor Bacon health Center. Follow the road streight Till you see a sign saying boat ramp. Follow te sign. You need a Delaware boat sticker to use the ramp. It's one of the best ramps in Delaware with plenty of Parking. I live in New Castle area and I tow my boat to the Area I want to boat in. This saves gas for the boat. Our trailer is at Elk View Shores and we have our own private boat ramp. Buttonwood has there own two. Both are in Deep water on the Elk River. If your at Indian Acres ,Stemmers run would be your best choice. It's close and there are two ramps. and plenty of parking. all blacktop parking.

Where do you pay for the day use? I was there in late Sept/early Oct. and never saw anyone. I didn't see a sign about rates. Maybe that late in the year they don't care.

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey I hope I can join the group now that I have a working boat again!!:D She is a 1976 Manatee that has logged more hours on the North east river and Flats than most do in a life time. Here is her story. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=361424
I took her out last night with the new to me Johnson to make sure she is running ok. Just a few small issues. Thermostat housing leaking and some linkage that was loose and not allowing me to **** into reverse. A few hours today and 15 dollars in parts and I think she is good to go. I just need a depth finder and I need the swim platform bolted back on and she will be 100% again. Doing happy dance it has been a long road back and she is looking almost new again.

I hope to get out and meet a few of you over the next few weeks. I will feel better with a group till I am sure she is good to go. She is a great ski boat so if any of you all like to water ski and dont have the perfect ski boat your welcome to come for a ride.

Hope to meet some of you soon.

Silver Eagle

Where do you pay for the day use? I was there in late Sept/early Oct. and never saw anyone. I didn't see a sign about rates. Maybe that late in the year they don't care.

If your talking about the Delaware City ramp the fee is your Delaware boat sticker. No sticker no launch. Stemmers run is the honor system. There's a box by the ramp fill out the papaer work, put your money in the box and your all set .The Sheriff checks the box every day.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Sadly we won't be able to make it out on Sunday. We have family plans. I hope you all have a great time and enjoy the beautiful weather.

We were out last night. Cruised over to Tidewater Grille in HDG for a great dinner and made it back to NE just after dark. It was a perfect evening.

Hope to meet some of you newer guys this year!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i think i'm going to mozzy on down to the sand islands right now

skargo

Banned

I finally reinstalled my raw water pump(bravo style) after rebuilding it with the upgraded 1 piece body. Yep, sonofabitch still leaks! :mad:
I guess I will have to rebuild the nose piece section, which I have no clue about.

We're still going out tomorrow though!

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

I finally reinstalled my raw water pump(bravo style) after rebuilding it with the upgraded 1 piece body. Yep, sonofabitch still leaks! :mad:
I guess I will have to rebuild the nose piece section, which I have no clue about.

We're still going out tomorrow though!

I think you need to fix it with a Dodge part.:D

skargo

Banned

I'll put my cummins powered dodge up in a tug o war with any of your tow rigs!

Heading out in 10 minutes or so!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i was at the sand islands today, from about 1:30 till 5 pm.

i was hailing twice as nice, and winter dream

skargo

Banned

i was at the sand islands today, from about 1:30 till 5 pm.

i was hailing twice as nice, and winter dream

I was in Cara Cove at the same time period. Now I'm beginning to think I have an issue with my radio and/or antenna.

I really should have worn sun block today, it was one of those mostly overcats days with a breeze.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I'll put my cummins powered dodge up in a tug o war with any of your tow rigs!

Heading out in 10 minutes or so!
Point taken, but as far as I was aware, your Dodge is more Scott powered at this point than Cummins-powered. Meaning, it ain't exactly stock anymore. Anyway, there is nothing wrong with the cummins...best diesel on the market for mid-size trucks if you ask me.......the real problem is the sheet metal they wrap it in.....it says "Dodge" lol j/k by the way....my bread and butter and all that.....

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i have a handheld vhf, so maybe it can just not brodcast that far.
I was hailing on 16, and 9.