how do I remove my drive shaft on V-6 foot

SparkieBoat

Captain
I have my foot off and all the bolts out..drive shaft comes out about an inch then stops..I must be missing something. Any help would be appreciated...this is my first foot rebuild.

Sparkie

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: how do I remove my drive shaft on V-6 foot

Did you disconnect the shift rod under the bottom carb?

SparkieBoat

Captain

Thanks for the reply Wilde...yes I did..the foot is off the engine..I now need to get the foot apart to find out what I need to replace/fix....no reverse is my problem.
Sparkie

SparkieBoat

Captain

ok I got the general procedure ..I need to remove the exhaust housing and the reverse gear and a ring or 2...with the play in my drive shaft..could my pinion nut just need to be tightened???
Sparkie

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

You really an OEM shop manual to avoid messing up. Typically, the bearing carrier needs to be pulled as a start.

The pinion nut is supposed to be torqued, so not too likely it's loose. More likely the bearing is shot. To remove the pinion nut, you need a special tool (socket to hold to splined end while you turn the pinion nut with a regular socket. I've made the "special tool" by taking a scrap crank, cutting off the splined and welding a 1/2" drive socket to it. If you use a pipe wrench or other brute force method to hold the driveshaft, you risk wrecking it.

You will fing a lot of needed info in the shop manual.

SparkieBoat

Captain

thanks Wilde, can I put the foot back on the motor and hold the fly wheel??? to get the pinion nut loose??
Sparkie

SparkieBoat

Captain

it also looks like I need some kind of gear puller to get the bearing carrier out..is there another way??

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I quess you could put the LU back and restrain the flywheel ... just seems like a lot of work to do something simple and you'll have the same problem going back together.

The puller needs to be really robust and needs to grab two of the webs to pull on. Again, special tool or make one. I made one years ago using a piece of trailer drawbar ~ 5/8" thick, made pulling lugs from the same metal and 1/2" all thread plus a really tough center bolt (Gr8 - fine threads). A lot of work though for a single use.

Ken G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dismantled the l/u on my '87 Evinrude 150 V6 this past week and it wasn't that difficult, or I just got real lucky.

I was trying to use a cheap 3 jaw puller from Harbor Freight that wasn't going to work for several reasons. One of those being that the pulling hooks were too fat. While twisting and pulling to get the first hook out of the bearing carrier I jerked it and the bearing carrier popped out. First problem solved.

A 7/8" open end wrench fit the prop nut. I wrapped the handle with a rag to protect the housing. I used another wrench (maybe a 19mm) on the driveshaft at the flat area where the key drives the impeller. I held the pinion nut wrench and turned the driveshaft counterclockwise to loosen the nut. It made no marks on the driveshaft. It took several yanks on the driveshaft and a couple of expletives to separate the pinion nut from the driveshaft.

Keep an eye out for the 18 loose needle bearings which may/will fall out when you pull the driveshaft out.

SparkieBoat

Captain

thanks Ken...I am thinking that my shaft bearing may be bad as mentioned by Wilde...the shift rod jumps when I put it into reverse and I hear a little grinding then some clunking coming from the gear case...I do not know if it is my reverse gear or a shaft problem...forward was working just fine though. Guess I got to get it apart to tell.
Sparkie

Ken G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If forward is OK but reverse jumps and makes noise my money is your clutch is worn. The dogs on the reverse side of the clutch are probably sheared off. You will know as soon as you get the bearing carrier out. After that is out you can reach in and pull the reverse gear, thrust washer, and thrust bearing out.

The clutch is a lot cheaper to replace then a reverse gear also.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

If the clutch dog is worn, it's very unlikely the gears are OK, but it's unlikely the reverse gear would be the one to crap out 1st ... it's almost always fwd gear which goes, and usually BC of poor "gentle" shifting. Most motors spend 98% of there time in fwd and at high loads.