General interest about shipping costs.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I just sent my Holley 450 cfm 4 bbl back to Holley for one of their 'for all intents and purposes' like new rebuilds.

The shipment was from Vancouver WA to Bowling Green KY and the package weighed 13 lbs.

United States Postal service wanted 24$ for snail mail Parcel Post, their cheapest method. No tracking, no insurance and 7 business days to arrive. I recall that Priority Mail was 27$.

UPS Ground wanted 17$, five days transit time and of course tracking and 100$ insurance.

I ended up shipping it Fed Ex Ground. It cost 11$, arrived in 4 business days, it of course was trackable and had the basic insurance.

Go Figure!

...and I might add, 'and we want the Federal Government to control our healthcare?'

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: General interest about shipping costs.

You can make a good argument that we do not need the USPS, unless it is totally privatised. With that said, I really do not know the extent of tax assistance they get. They are a Pseudo private company I understand, but I don't know what Pseudo means in this context. Is the USPS mentioned in the Constitution?

i386

Captain

RE: USPS, If you figure it out let me know.

tommays

Admiral

be happy it just cost me 400 dolars in trucking round trip for a gearbox they said they would fix and backed out on it :devil:

Tommays

ricksrster

Commander

Section 8 # 7. To establish post-offices and post roads.

ZmOz

Captain

Yep, post office is only good for small stuff, Fedex is good for big stuff. UPS is completely and totally worthless. I honestly cannot understand how they manage to maintain such an enormous business. They charge twice as much, they ALWAYS take longer, and their frequency of smashed packages is totally unacceptable. (not to mention they always try to weasel out of insurance claims) Fedex charges the UPS bulk rates to the general public.

If you can fit it into a USPS flat rate box, it only costs $8.10 to anywhere at any weight for priority mail. I just got 38 pounds of lead shipped to me for $8.10 Priority. d:)

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Trying to make gold again, Z?

Bondo

Staff member

Well,.........

The Easiest Counter that I could belly up to is the Guys with the little Brown Trucks.............

She charged Haut $76.86 for 81lbs. of Scrap Iron...........d:)
She said If He's Lucky,.. the Mule Train should make the Left Coast in a Week or so.......

I tried to send a smaller package a few weeks ago,....
The U.S.Postal Service wouldn't accept the Package, because of Printing on the Box.......

Buster Brown had No problem that I was using an old 'puter box.......

USPS wanted me to Rewrap the box in brown paper,+ come back,...........

Ya, Right............................

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

Disclaimer: I do not work for any of the shipping companies. But I do deal with them daily.

They all have there advantages and disadvantages. UPS makes there profits on business accounts not walk-up customers and therefore you don't see the discounted rates. That package would actually have arrived in 3 business days, you just can't complain if its not there until after 5 bus. days. UPS is much harder to get a claim through, if you don't have everything down to a science when dealing with them.

On this level all the companies are a pain. A major tip I have for everyone that ships stuff is, if you get a package thats damaged refuse the shipment immediately. If its left at your house without a signature and damaged call them and report it. Take pictures of the packaging before you open it. More often than not the cause of the damage is insuffecient packing. When shipping products always try to use a box that is certified, small label on it that will either have a burst strength rating (ie 200,275, 375) or ECT (32,44). This eliminates one of their outs.

As for FedEx, they do a perfectly fine job and in some ways superior. However, the only reason their rates are still low is because FedEx is a vastly smaller company than UPS. For instance, there Express (air) and Ground Services share little if anything in the way of resources. The Express drivers are direct employees of FedEx while the Ground drivers are contractors. Don't take that to mean I think it's a bad thing.

The USPS, well if what I'm sending is worth more than $.39 than its not going with them. Just not worth the aggrivation.

For all of them though if you do alot of shipping open an account it will pay for itself.

Anyways thats my 2 cents.

ZmOz

Captain

SBN said:
How about DHL?
Anyone?

They're pretty quick and cost about the same as Fedex. For some reason, the drivers don't understand what the "signature required" sticker means.
rolleyes.gif
About 80% of the packages they leave for me say that, and they don't even bother to ring the doorbell.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea Z, same thing here.
Several deliveries, most, 95% on front porch.
Go figure. But they do get here when they are suppose to.

And I thought all you guys in Vancouver were up on the cheapest things. ;) usps has a flat rate. Piority mail. They have two shapes of boxes and don't know which is biggest. I shipped an injector pump for a Waukesha Diesel to Vancouver from Terra Bella CA Friday, it was there Monday, Cost: Ten ninety and that included Two hundred dollars insurance and delivery confirmation. Only requirement is that it fit in the box.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

technostingray said:
And I thought all you guys in Vancouver were up on the cheapest things. ;) usps has a flat rate. Piority mail. They have two shapes of boxes and don't know which is biggest. I shipped an injector pump for a Waukesha Diesel to Vancouver from Terra Bella CA Friday, it was there Monday, Cost: Ten ninety and that included Two hundred dollars insurance and delivery confirmation. Only requirement is that it fit in the box.

I guess there must be too many options for us Rehubs to comprehend.:$

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Boomyal said:
I guess there must be too many options for us Rehubs to comprehend.:$
I have faith in you, Boom. Just keep saying to yourself, "2 options - big box, little box, 2 options - big box, little box". You'll eventually get the hang of it.

rwise

Captain

got a package through DHL they left it at the post office and did not even bother to tell me where it was at! UPS left a letter sized package on my front steps while I was out of town, it contained a check for some $7000! (And A big Thank you to my neighbor for watching out for me!!) The next package from UPS was delivered next door :/ FEDEX, don't get many packages through them. All of them could do better!

dolluper

Captain

I get parts shipped from the USA ,by different ways and costs UPS=high costs slow delivery
Fedex =fast lower cost
USPS= fast sometimes,slow others. cheapest way
With USPS I had a clutch coming last year,it didn't show up and we {shipper and I } put in a claim on the same form he mailed to me{needed my signature also]This claim was supposed to be paid to me,guess what yea they sent it to him,just recently.This means after one full year I have got no clutch and no claim money dealing with USPS rant over!!!
Bottom line I got a replacment clutch in BC Canada ,four days shipping cost less and my other shipper in the USA is an honest guy and he is sending me the money for the claim they sent him instead of me,only took a year for the claim

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Bond-o said:
Well,.........

The U.S.Postal Service wouldn't accept the Package, because of Printing on the Box.......

USPS wanted me to Rewrap the box in brown paper,+ come back,...........

What'd it say on the box, Bond-o? UPS, Fed-Ex?:p

Actually, I thought USPS had gotten off that kick a long time ago. I remember the day when you had to wrap any box in brown paper and tie it with a string. They would not accept tape.