unusual pet abilities

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do any of you have pets that do things others dont seem to?
My labarodor/border collie cross loves to play ball but when i get bored throwing it he throws it himself! by holding it in his mouth and spinning round very fast, when he hits terminal velocity he lets go and propells the ball a fair distance! then collects it and starts again!d:)

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: unusual pet abilities

My can open the latch on the gate with his nose. I couldn't figure out how he was getting out, until I caught him!

Drowned Rat

Captain

Sounds like a smart (typical Border Collie) dog! Get a video of that, I'd love to see it.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

Our cat when she drinks water she'll paw at the floor before she starts drinking. I thought it was a passing thing when she was young but she is two and a half years old. I've been around cats alot and never saw one paw at the floor.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Had a cat years ago that used the toilet when he accidentally got locked in the house. After that he used it regularly.

However, I could never teach him to flush.:|

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Bambi -- The navagator;

40111199.Picture017.jpg

D

DJ

I had a cat (passed away at 21 years) that would not allow a burning candle, anywhere in the house.

He would bat at them until they were out.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

My australian border collie could climb ladders and used to ride with me sitting up front on the saddle.

Triton II

Commander

Ms T's black cat (a rescued kitten from her boss's aircraft hangar) was brought up from a few days old without any feline input, having been abandoned by his mother. It happily takes baths, rides on Ms T's horse, plays "high five" games and is the most un-cat like cat I've ever known.

xtraham

Lieutenant

we have a dachshund/beagle mix that can talk, the wife can get her to say momma, hello and no way, she has gotten old and feeble now and gone blind, but she will still talk sometimes..

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Back when we lived out in the country, we had six dogs. When we took them for their annual shots, we borrowed a camper cover for the truck and piled them all in. Well, after a couple of years doing this, one dog learned to open the cover. He kept escaping into the parking lot. He would use his mouth to undo the latch and push the lid open. Now, our black lab LOVES to play ball. You cannot even say the word "ball" around her or she will go nuts. When playing, she doesn't set it at your feet. She flings it up in the air at you. It is real annoying to get hit in the face with the slimyest, slobberyist, tennis ball.
We also have a miniature dachsound who eats corn. Right off the cob. She holds the cob with her paw and chews the corn off. Every other dog we have ever seen, HATES corn. You could put one kernel in a plate of stew, and and come back later, that one kernel would still be there, licked clean.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Our Yellow Lab knows the difference between Weekdays and Weekends. On Weekdays he won't let us sleep past 6:30, on Weekends he'll give us to 7:00 or 7:30.

On Saturdays, he absolutely knows that the local paper is there and that Mrs. QC expects it. I get the LA Times everyday and he couldn't give a rat's arse . . .

D

DJ

Our Black Lab. loves to open presents.

We wrap up a few (chew bones, toys) for her for Christmas and put them under the tree along with all the others.

She knows which ones are hers and when told to do so she'll go get one and open it in front of us.

rogerwa

Commander

WE have a black pug named olive. She rings a bell when she wants to go outside.

ZmOz

Captain

DWJ said:
Our Black Lab. loves to open presents.

We wrap up a few (chew bones, toys) for her for Christmas and put them under the tree along with all the others.

She knows which ones are hers and when told to do so she'll go get one and open it in front of us.

My dog loved to open presents too. Every year I'd wrap up the same present for him over and over, he'd never get tired of opening it. We couldn't put any presents under the tree because he'd open everyone else's too. d:)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Bear on xmas morning this year:

Bear%20xmas%20resize.jpg

D

DJ

Here is "Char" on Christmas morning.

TLR001.jpg

See the grey under the chin? She is eleven.

She picked this present and it's "hers".