1968 Saf-t-mate Boat

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
Hello. Im looking for info on saf-t-mate boats. I have a 1968 14 ish footer, purchased new in the family. Im in the process of repowering and am looking for max hp info, but the original plaque is no longer readable.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: 1968 Saf-t-mate Boat

I have a 73 Saf-T-Mate 15 footer...tri-hull. Is yours a tri-hull?

My father in law owned it before me. He had a 50hp evinrude on it and had repowered to a 70hp after the 50hp gave up.

He had seen a very similar boat with a legible plaque that said 70hp max before he repowered.

I haven't used the boat much because I am rebuilding it but the 70hp motor seems like more than enough.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There were no placards in 1968, so you don't have one, the post at the top of this forum is COAST GUARD RULES, clik on it, and you will find the criteria, for determining the correct horsepower for your boat. then you can email david@custommarinelabels.com and he will make you the placard you need to be legal, it's just a stick on decal. max hp, max persons, max weight. usually $5.00

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer

There were no placards in 1968, so you don't have one, the post at the top of this forum is COAST GUARD RULES, clik on it, and you will find the criteria, for determining the correct horsepower for your boat. then you can email david@custommarinelabels.com and he will make you the placard you need to be legal, it's just a stick on decal. max hp, max persons, max weight. usually $5.00

Thanks. I ended up doing this. I recalled that it was rated 65HP (it had a placard that got obscured years ago), but the boat store owner wouldnt install the 60 HP motor because the coat guard calc showed that it was good for 55HP. Adding the decal solved the problem.

This boat is not a tri-hull.
Thanks.