AlNewYorkTimes Shrinking.... DUH..I wunner why.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
Re: AlNewYorkTimes Shrinking.... DUH..I wunner why.

Don't forget Dr. Joseph Gobels was a drug addicted propagada minister also just like Rush {Cheech} Limbaugh.......
ppppp.jpg

QC

Supreme Mariner

I'm just curious. Those of you who think the mainstream news is right down the middle. What leads you to believe that FOX leans right? Not a rhetorical question.

I find it odd that one can consider the NYT editorial page as left leaning (it is) and that there is no belief that the same editors exert a leaft leaning twist to their choices for the front page. I am sure that it is obvious to those same people that FOX's non-news shows (O'Reily, Hannity and Colmes) lean right, but they are also positive that this right lean is extended to FOX News stories. Why is it so hard to see this double standard?

I read the LA Times everyday and I can spot spin to the left on the front page without working very hard. I spot the same spin on FOX, but 1) I acknowledge it and 2) the balance of the Alphabets, the BBC, CNN etc. makes the left many times more heavily represented . . . What am I missing?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

BLU said:
Don't forget Dr. Joseph Gobels was a drug addicted propagada minister also just like Rush {Cheech} Limbaugh.......
Words cannot express how much I enjoy watching your much-trumpetted, George Soros propped-up, psuedo-American "answer to Rush Limbaugh" ('scare America') fall flat on it's face almost as much as I enjoy watching the purveyors of islamo-fascist propaganda reported as "news" (alNewYorkTimes) downsizing. Both, things of beauty to me.
And All the while, Maha Rushie, your nemesis, emerges unscathed! And all this while you try to compare him to a nazi war criminal. Priceless!! Icing on the cake!
58.gif

------------------------------------------------
From SW Florida, A proud member of iboats since
March 25, 2001

The old me

PW2

Commander

Well, If you think an editorial board can influence a news division to that extent, you are in effect calling them non-professional hacks, as that is how they are taught to do it in journalism school.

There have been flaws, to be sure. The NYT is a special case in this, as they went thru the Jason Blair scandal, where several lost their jobs, ande more recently the Judith Miller debacle.

Not her involvement in the Valerie Plame fiasco, but in the run up to the Iraq fiasco. She was the primary Times reporter in the run up to the war, and it turns out her primary sources for WMD's was Scooter Libby and other administration sources, who had specific political reasons to get her to report as she did.

If I were her editor I would be furious, as no paper with integrity can be seen as shills for any administration.

It is generally fairly easy to spot bias. You can take any story and check the W's. Who,what, where, when, and why. If the emphasis tends to be on the "why" and not the first four W's, the chances are there is some point of view at work

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

And you end-up with a "story" too. Not a good outcome for a product promoting itself as a "news" paper.
And at least you quantified it as "no paper with integrity", which negates the alNewYorkTimes. This may or may not explain why nobody wants their product anymore...It'd be like buying a boat with a hole in it...Only on a smaller scale -- but no less dangerous.

March 25, 2001

The old me

PW2

Commander

Treedancer,

That is the fundamental problem with the right wing wackos. They seem to believe to be true what they want to be true, regardless of the facts involved.
And then they want to convince people to trust their sources, based on who knows what, rather than actual reporting from credible sources.

You sre seeing a fine example of that very thing in this thread

rottenray6402

Ensign

Didn't Enron show some nice profits on paper? Don't believe everything you hear or read. PW,actually I think the libs show the tendencies you describe much more than the right wing wackos (cancel my earlier coment about you not calling names)

PW2 said:
Treedancer,

That is the fundamental problem with the right wing wackos. They seem to believe to be true what they want to be true, regardless of the facts involved.
And then they want to convince people to trust their sources, based on who knows what, rather than actual reporting from credible sources.
thread

Every state must have its enemies. Great powers must have especially monstrous foes. Above all, these foes must arise from within, for national pride does not admit that a great nation can be defeated by any outside force. That is why, though its origins are elsewhere, the stab in the back has become the sustaining myth of modern American nationalism. Since the end of World War II it has been the device by which the American right wing has both revitalized itself and repeatedly avoided responsibility for its own worst blunders....

continued:
http://www.harpers.org/StabbedInTheBack.html

PW2

Commander

I tend to agree that the radical left wing press resorts to similar tactics as the right.

Both sides lack credibility.

The mainstream press (excluding some editorial pages) do not exhibit those traits. The editorial pages are clearly labelled, and even those, to be taken seriously, need to be somewhat fact based.

It is why I avoid "Air America" , or moveon.org just as much as Rush and his ilk.. Neither are credible.

(Note: I have not actually listened to AA--it is not offered in Northern Michigan--I am just guessing on that one, but I have listened to Rush, and Rush wannabes from time to time)

QC

Supreme Mariner

PW2 said:
It is why I avoid "Air America" , or moveon.org just as much as Rush and his ilk.. Neither are credible.

On this we agree . . .

PW2 said:
Note: I have not actually listened to AA--it is not offered in Northern Michigan--

You can trust me on this one. Not worth 10 seconds of your time unless you've swallowed something bad and need to puke. Some may recall that I did a little 'speriment several months back. Forced myself to listen for an entire week. Barely made it through. I honestly don't see how anyone can take AA seriously. Although I lean what today is considered heavily right, I still honestly believe I can be objective. Some of the most unprofessional radio I have ever heard!! Blecccchhhh!!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

PW2 said:
Treedancer,

You sre seeing a fine example of that very thing in this thread
This, at the same time that the alnewyorktimes loses readership to the point of downsizing in the name of "survival".. Well, I got "news" for you, 'scare-amerika' and alnewyorktimes...
Nobody is interested in being misled, and like Pavlov's dog, are learning not to drink the bull-flavored koolade any more.

So Rush/hannity etal's success versus al newyorktimes, alCNN,or Al skair-amerika's downfall should steer you to only one of two possible conclusions;

1: that the masses are being misled by the right wing media, while ignoring the truth.
2: "We're mad as heck, and aren't going to drink no more koolade!"
Do your homework, and the truth shall set you free (in spite of your apparent adversion to freedom).

March 25, 2001

The old me

oddjob

Commander

All this ta do over Rush. I love your hate. It Denotes his success. And that dovetails with the current liberal defeats. Justis is sweet.

Rush put AM radio back on the map and then brought it to the internet for the few of us that can read. I guess the media left, that is currently (trying to ) following his footsteps are also ditto heads..Copy cats...Why, cant they have an original IDEA!...lololol8)

PW2

Commander

I'm afraid to inform you that "popularity" does not necessarily equate to accuracy, validity, or anything else.

Hitler was popular in the 30's in Germany

rottenray6402

Ensign

Come on PW, you can do much better than that. Rush isn't popular with a bunch of starving people that had to take a wheelbarrow full of money to buy a loaf of bread. The German people were willing to follow anybody that could deliever them from starvation after WW1. If you want to admit it or not Rush has a following of people that think like him not because they are brain washed by him. You know the old saying" If you aren't a liberal at 20 you have no heart, if your not a conservative at 40 you have no brain".

tommays

Admiral

It could be there just getting out from some of the labor unions that run the place :)

They had to buy out there delivery union about 10 years ago as it was getting tough to pay the drivers 100,000 plus a year to drop the paper

And they built the printing plant in NJ to get away from some of the other NYC unions i guess there moveing again to do the same

Tommays

PW2

Commander

This reminds me of my youngest daughter's first foray into politics, when she was running for 8th grade class president.
They had an assembly for the candidates to give speeches, and one boy promised that he would get vending machines with candy and soda pop installed in the school lunchroom.
She came home all upset because no way he could do that. Welcome to the world of politics, daughter of mine. She lost, and he won...and no, they never got the vending machines.

They key to being popular is to tell people what they want to hear. If you can make it sound remotely credible, they may even believe it.
The ultimate is to identify those responsible for why they can't have what they want, and blame them.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

PW2 said:
...The ultimate is to identify those responsible for why they can't have what they want, and blame them.
Isn't that what the libs do with the poor people? Tell them that they're poor because we don't give them enough food stamps, medicare, welfare, free internet, free telephone service, subsidized transportation, free lunch, free college tuition etc, etc. If only they had more free stuff, than they could live like they were rich. Dirty Republicans!

rottenray6402

Ensign

I had to order a bunch more one way liberal glasses, I guess with the readership down at the NYT and the viewership down at the major networks people need the glasses more and more to avoid seeing what a dismal failure the entitlement programs have been over the last 30 or so years. Not to mention the peacekeeping efforts that have failed miserablely throughout the world.
RF, you can be my East Coast distributor if you want.
Get yer one way liberal glasses here. 8)

PW2

Commander

I love this right wing logic.

They (the right) have control of all branches of gov't---everything is going to heck in a handbasket all over the world, and the fault lies with what the libs did 20 or 30 years ago.

I wonder why Rush is popular with deductive reasoning capabilities like that!