1981 Starcraft Super Sport 180 - Gonna try a Restore

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure how I got myself into this, actually I do know. It started when I was looking for a larger inflatable on Kijiji when I came across this gorgeous shiny aluminum SS 160 with a link to iboats. Yes, the "Naked Lady". I was amazed at how an almost 30 year old boat could look brand new. Then I started looking at other restorations and I was truly inspired. I found myself searching for an old Starcraft aluminum boat to restore. The first one I tried to look at was a 76 holiday 18' with an i/o OMC, it wasn't running and needed some other work to be sea worthy. I really wanted a SS for the open bow and wanted an O/B but figured if I got it cheap enough there was alot of info on converting it. While corresponding back and forth with the owner and unable to set up a time that worked for both of us a SS 180 was listed only 2 hours away. I talked with the owner and found out it needed a new transom and some other TLC but the motor ran last fall and the leg was rebuilt at the local boat shop last fall as well. I jumped on it and we made a deal without seeing it for $1750, barring any major damage.

Here she is.

View attachment y4mxsL8JpYJJxbTqRr5ca4Pcs7pkAGNVSY3OagOFvQ5Wf5o-JPCKjlAGx6YwuJee4P9f86tNVls3nH4r8saHPB_0BFLogV9XUNdY
View attachment y4m9XLqUWNYH0WhBq1_M5LtE3SWvaybdRHVXGleidp1ltzZ-hayOHnDoy9R_kr3BWqtWagYN_UFFZMigw6Hd7rN9OZo69FZvb3DB
View attachment y4mQJTiprZ7YWeqTCJGAdj00cuvKHL61vL5zkisyNdLmaTmTg46-ZBLPwqkaJK0O2Nlkk93GlPzZAb0-xjrXM3bl25n6W2IEZOjo

The floor is shot, 2 layers of ply on back, the only thing keeping the motor from pulling the transom off is the ski pole and cargo straps but, the t&t work, got a fish finder, spare new prop, ski ropes and life jackets.

I would love to get this restored this summer but I have other projects started that have to get done before hunting season. My goal is to get the boat gutted (which is actually done already) bottom stripped and polished and back on the trailer before winter when the fun stuff begins.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Welcome to the Tin-sanity, iboats division :tinfoil3:

Nice looking rig :thumb:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to iboats Candutch!

Nice looking 18' SS OB and for a really good price!

Looks like you got your work cut out for you but it's a very worthwhile project with some good power too.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Has the added rib end plates, so that's good. The knee brace can be fixed.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks jbcurt00 and Watermann. Looking forward to the resto and picking everyones brain. There are some fantastic restos on here.

dozerII

Admiral
Welcome to the Starmada Candutch, great looking SS you found, how did I miss that one;). That knee brace is in rough shape, is there rivets missing out of where it attaches to the bottom of the hull?

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Rob and Glen. Yes the rivets are pulled out of the bottom of the knee brace. You probably missed it because it was only up a few hours before I saw it :)

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Well, I didn't get very much accomplished this week, work has been busy and too tired at night. I finished stripping the gunnels and aluminum trim last night then decided it was time to go shopping today. I picked up 2 boat seats, pedestals, vinyl to wrap the gunnels and consoles, a soounder/ chartplotter (couldn't pass it up at $120 off), locking latches (on clearance at Crappy Tire), a polisher (also on sale at Crappy tire) and some stripping and polishing wheels, furniture dollies (great idea from iboats forum and $15 at PA), and switches with 12v outlet.

I know you guys all know the cost of restoring your boats, I honestly thought I could do it for around $1000, which I could probably come close to if I really scrimped and just bought used and didn't care about color scheme or anything extra. But I want it to look like a new boat and it just seemed that if I was going to put all of this effort and time into the boat I didn't want to end up with an old boat that has a new paint job.

So far all in for boat parts $800 already! And I saved $360 buying this stuff on sale. Then I spent another another $250 on shop supplies and tools I didn't have, Ouch. I priced out the plywood today as well, $140 a sheet for marine and $62 a sheet for exterior 3/4 fir. That's gonna cost me $528 just for the floor in exterior and the transom in marine. At least I sold almost $700 worth of stuff on Kijiji so I'm not too far into my own cash yet.

My plan is to cover the floor in nautolex, build a deck on front and I was considering changing the splashwell area to a deck like Budski and Jr did on their ss160 but I'm not sure how to tie that in structurally. Any ideas? I also want to change the shape of the transom and make it higher from the gunnels in to the splashwell like on the newer boats. That should help keep the water off of the back a little better with the lower splashwell. Of course I will then probably have to put a fuel tank in the floor. This is adding up real fast, we'll have to see how things go i guess.

Anyway, I only have one pic of the boat but I will add my finds as well.

Decker83

Commander
Great looking SS you found..
There or some very knowledgeable gentlemen here on i-boats to help you with your restore..
Looks like you have a great start on the tear down and all the new goodies..:D
I will be :couch2: back and watching your thread..:peace:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The great thing about an old SS is that you can make her into just about anything you want. So far you don't even have in a few months worth of payments on a super spendy new boat. On my rebuilds I've tried to do my parts shopping leading up to the restoration and have the parts on hand so you don't loose momentum. Also we never, ever add our new tools into the cost. :D

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Yup I hear ha, the costs just add up, however, looking at new boats that are comparable to what I've got, I'm way way way ahead lol. Just keep watching can tire for the good 70% off sales for your tools!

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks fellas, I agree it is still way cheaper than a fancy new boat. Got the tools all covered now except for the one to press in the drain tubes. Canadian tire is the best for the home handy man tools when on sale. I picked up that polisher for $79.99.

Spent the afternoon on the boat today. I stripped off the decals and washed and degreased the inside of the hull. Now I'm ready to flip it over and tackle stripping the bottom. Unfortunately i have a 6 day work week starting tomorrow so the flip will have to wait. Next weekend I have to repair my rv floor so we can get out camping so it looks like the 180 will be on the back burner for a bit.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Moeller sells a nice flanging tool, 20848-001, and iboats carries it. Sea Dog makes one too, but this is also an option:
FlaringTool.jpg

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Nice...thanks jbcurt. Will the work on the drain tube in the bottom of the hull as well? It seems to be different than the splashwell, as in, it is only through the aluminum of the transom.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Buy an aluminum hull drain tube, it includes 2 spacer rings to compensate for only going thru the hull w no plywood adding thickness to the transom.

Also includes at least 1 o-ring. Dont remember if the o-ring, large ring or small ring go on the inside, but the set has directions.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Buy an aluminum hull drain tube, it includes 2 spacer rings to compensate for only going thru the hull w no plywood adding thickness to the transom.

Also includes at least 1 o-ring. Dont remember if the o-ring, large ring or small ring go on the inside, but the set has directions.

Great, thanks again.