I have returned... with a Starcraft this time!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The boy and I went out this morning hoping to do a link & sync. Didn't happen. While checking out the flywheel timing marks, I decided to bump the motor over a bit with the starter so that the pointer would line up.

Turned the ignition key and got nothing. I recalled that while we were out on the water last time that I'd gone to start the engine but got nothing at that time. Figuring that I'd not fully returned the throttle/shifter to neutral, I moved it forward and back and after that the motor started normally.

So this morning I tried the same thing and got zip. Zilch. Nada. Sigh. :grumpy:

My instincts lead me toward the neutral safety switch as being at fault. The starter solenoid could use replacing too, but it's been working okay. I'll do the full troubleshooting bit to make sure I fix whatever "it" is.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I quickly found a replacement solenoid but spent HOURS searching for the NSS part number with no joy. :mad: This evening I hollered for help again over on the Mercury forum.

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
the boy and i went out this morning hoping to do a link & sync. Didn't happen. While checking out the flywheel timing marks, i decided to bump the motor over a bit with the starter so that the pointer would line up.

Turned the ignition key and got nothing. I recalled that while we were out on the water last time that i'd gone to start the engine but got nothing at that time. Figuring that i'd not fully returned the throttle/shifter to neutral, i moved it forward and back and after that the motor started normally.

So this morning i tried the same thing and got zip. Zilch. Nada. Sigh. :grumpy:

My instincts lead me toward the neutral safety switch as being at fault. The starter solenoid could use replacing too, but it's been working okay. I'll do the full troubleshooting bit to make sure i fix whatever "it" is.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, i quickly found a replacement solenoid but spent hours searching for the nss part number with no joy. :mad: This evening i hollered for help again over on the mercury forum.
87-17277t?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
87-17277t?
I'm hoping that's the one. I do have it on my wish list. I've been searching for a couple hours this afternoon too, but nothing yet.

It's miserably hot and humid outside, so I REALLY don't want to go out to the garage and work on the boat. Ugh. :cool:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I recalled that I had a buddy working on one of my backup throttles a few years ago. He's the young fella sitting on the floor. I dug through my old pix and found what I needed. I can see that the NSS on the old assembly is the same form factor as the 87-17277t.

A few weeks ago, we gave that very part, along with a bunch of other scrap, to that same neighbor buddy. I just texted him to find out if he still has it and if he does, I'll send the boy over to clip that micro switch off and bring it home. Then I'll know for sure!

4.jpg

The NSS is circled in red. :D
5a.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 1

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Annnnd.. my bud just texted me that he's already taken that stuff to the scrap yard. Dang. :cool:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
We did the troubleshooting this morning and the solenoid was bad. New one ordered.

I wrenched my neck during the process. :rolleyes: I accidentally touched the yellow and red wires on the starter. Big spark. Motor cranked a tiny bit. I disappeared in a cloud of dust and adrenaline. :flame: But about 10 minutes later, my neck started hurting on the left side. I treated it with ice for a couple hours followed by Ben Gay awhile later. Silly human. :facepalm:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nothing but fun and games when the camera isn't rolling, next time we need a video of the solenoid spark test :lol:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well guys, it took awhile but the KF engine is running again. Long story with details over in the Mercury forum.

Anywhoo... we went out this morning to do the Link & Sync with the new timing light that I'd ordered. I set the carb idle screws to 1 1/2 turns out and the motor fired right up. We let it idle a little while, then shut it down and connected up the timing light. Started the engine again and...

No joy. The light was defective right out of the box and I returned it today. :mad: :frusty:

One thing that did get done last week was that we fashioned some small pads out of a plastic cutting board to protect the gunnels from the bimini top "elbow" when it's rotated forward up to the bow.

I've ordered another timing light and hope to get it tomorrow. Then we can re-try the Link & Sync. :rolleyes:

Watermann

Might should pick a different brand of timing light or test it our on a vehicle before heading to the launch. :lol:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Might should pick a different brand of timing light or test it our on a vehicle before heading to the launch. :lol:

Yeahhh... while investigating the lack of ground problem, I ordered a second light. Which was superceded and replaced with an inferior product without notification. Returned that one as well. Ordered a third light and it arrived a week ago but hasn't been used yet. So nearly 3 weeks dealing with timing lights. But that left me time for more checking and I became even less happy.

Because.... of the "missing" items for the rectifier in the pic above. :mad:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Yah, that's in the plan.

But the biggest surprise is that there are no yellow/red stripe charge wires coming from the stator down to the rectifier. So, unless I've missed something, I'm going to have to pull the flywheel and see what's going on with that issue. :noidea:

50HP Wiring Diagram.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
If I'm reading the wiring schematic correctly, my battery isn't charging. I've never actually tested to see if the battery is charging but unless Mercury used a "magic bridge rectifier" I'm guessing that it hasn't been charging at all.

That would be because of the missing wires from the stator. They should be connected like the ones I've drawn in this pic.
4a.jpg

Watermann

If I'm reading the wiring schematic correctly, my battery isn't charging. I've never actually tested to see if the battery is charging but unless Mercury used a "magic bridge rectifier" I'm guessing that it hasn't been charging at all.

That would be because of the missing wires from the stator. They should be connected like the ones I've drawn in this pic.

But hey I see your tach is connected :lol:. yeah the 2 yellow stator wires and a red need to be on the 3 post rectifier for your battery to charge. Next you'll find that the wires were rotten so the guy cut them off up under the flywheel and that the rectifier is bad. Just guessing of course but we know your luck so... :grumpy:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
But hey I see your tach is connected :lol:. yeah the 2 yellow stator wires and a red need to be on the 3 post rectifier for your battery to charge. Next you'll find that the wires were rotten so the guy cut them off up under the flywheel and that the rectifier is bad. Just guessing of course but we know your luck so... :grumpy:

Now all I have to do is find a 2" tach "somewhere" that'll fit on the console, right? :p

And you're absolutely right. I'm likely to find a real can of worms if I keep digging. :cool:

Which is why "I don' wanna!" :lol:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well, I found the yellow/red stripe wires. :rolleyes:

2.jpg

1.jpg

I guess it's time to buy a new stator. Looks like this one is 16 years old anyway. I'll go ahead and order a new rectifier too, just because. :facepalm:
3a.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 2

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I ordered the new stator and rectifier yesterday. They should be here by the end of the week.

Meanwhile, can anyone provide me with the actual torque spec for the flywheel? I've read a bunch of threads and have seen anywhere from 65 lb. ft. all the way up to 150 lb. ft. Quite a range. :noidea:

And I need ideas on how to keep the flywheel from turning when I reinstall it later. :confused:

Thanks! :)