It begins

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Last summer I purchased the boat I always wanted.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...tarcraft-boats/7606472-new-guy-new-boat/page2
I got it running good and we had an amazing summer on the water with it.
The temps are warming up here now and I have to put away the snowmobiles, so I figured I'd drag the ol boat out of its winter tent and start on my restoration.

The seats jumped out and the motor jumped off!!

I'm super excited to get going on this project.
cheers all!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Back and in action with the tear down, keep at it! :encouragement:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Welcome back, whats the rehab plan? Torn down and put back as an SS bowrider?

hayko1971

Yes, my plan is to replace the floor and transom and seats. I'm toying with casting deck ideas for the bow, but may just keep it as is.While I have it gutted, I figured I would strip the hull and put some paint on. It will remain mostly bare aluminum as I love that look.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I think mine had the same paint scheme as yours and is probably close to the same year. Its in the resto side of the forum under 77' starcraft....... While I was stripping the sides I had some blue showing where yours is blue and no other color but white. I could also see where it once said starcraft like yours. Some PO painted the whole thing white though. So its neat to see what it originally looked like. Have fun with it!

hayko1971

Today I managed to get the boat stripped down to the floor. It took me a while to learn how a boat comes apart, but I managed okay. I feel good about my progress so far.

This looks pretty bad to me, do you think riveting angle to it will work well? Or do I have other options? The other side is cracked the same.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I wonder if that knee brace is like that because of the 90HP mounted on the back. If thats a 16 ft'er, from what I read they are rated up to 85HP. Maybe that 5HP difference was all it needed.

Angle riveted in there is the first thing I can think of.

hayko1971

I wonder that as well, but it's how I bought the boat. Only after did I read the tag that says it's rated to 85hp. Do you think 5 HP will make that much of a difference?
Maybe I'll just have to drive slower :laugh::laugh:

hayko1971

Maybe one of those transom saver braces could help too to prevent it from happening again.

dozerII

Admiral
I think it was in 1981 Starcraft changed the rating to 90hp, the difference in weight between an 85 and 90 horse Johnson is nothing, and 5 horse should make not be a problem. I have seen the knee braces cracked like that on S/C with 70 hp on them, it is caused more from a weak transom than too much HP. I used some 1/4" x 2" aluminum angle glued and riveted to the cleaned up knee brace to repair the ones I have done, the only change I would make is to use JB weld as the glue instead of PL premium.

hayko1971

I think it was in 1981 Starcraft changed the rating to 90hp, the difference in weight between an 85 and 90 horse Johnson is nothing, and 5 horse should make not be a problem. I have seen the knee braces cracked like that on S/C with 70 hp on them, it is caused more from a weak transom than too much HP. I used some 1/4" x 2" aluminum angle glued and riveted to the cleaned up knee brace to repair the ones I have done, the only change I would make is to use JB weld as the glue instead of PL premium.

Sounds like the plan. After seeing your projects, I pay attention to your advice. You do beautiful work!

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Nice progress!! Thats a really nice rig you have there! I love the "swoosh" pattern :cool:

Busted knee brace is very common on our old tinnies. As Glen said, weakened transom wood (not necessarily rotten) is the source of the problem.

hayko1971

Thanks for the comments guys, I've been lurking these forums for a long time and am familiar with all your excellent work.
Not much progress today as I made a trip to the big city... And what's a trip to the big city without a trip to Princess Auto to pick up new toys?

This should come in handy

dozerII

Admiral
Thanks for the compliments Hayco, I see you took advantage of the sale at Princess auto, they also have a 7 inch polisher kit on sale:D

hayko1971

I looked at the polishers, but passed on them this trip. I need to do more research before I decide which route to go. My better half has made the decision that the "swoosh" on the side has to stay, so I need to figure out how to trace it to make a template somehow before I strip it off.

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I look forward to watching the restoration, good luck with it! Awesome little boats.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
After seeing that broken transom brace, I would take it out and replace it with either a direct replacement or a manufactured version from a machine shop. I personally wouldn't try to do a patch job on it and hope it is okay. A good aluminum welder can fabricate a replacement that will hold up a lot better then some aluminum angle pieces bolted on that brace. It depends on how nice you want your project to look after you finish. But more important is the structural capability of that brace as well. Anyway, an interesting project boat that I will have to follow... :thumb:

hayko1971

Tonight I got the spash well and transom out. I hope I can remember how to put it all back together again!
Thanks to all who've gone before me and all that I have learned by pouring over previous resto threads!
The transom came out wih relative ease! I almost feel guilty that I didn't have to struggle with it like many have.
I owe that to you guys and this forum.
I used the jack out of my jeep to just crank it out.

Cheers all!

dozerII

Admiral
Looking good, you will have to check your transom skin real close for corrosion.