1983 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman 261V Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1983 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman 261V Rebuild

Yikes, I'm sure glad I don't live close to Jason, I bet the dust cloud from him moving so fast would choke a guy.

Especially during glasser deconstruction. A neighborhood full of HazMat suits. :D

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

1979 Sea Ray 240 donor boat just like you want...loaded with stuff you cant possibly use!!! ha ha ha near you too bob

jbcurt00

Staff member

1979 Sea Ray 240 donor boat just like you want...loaded with stuff you cant possibly use!!! ha ha ha near you too bob
Yikes, I wouldn't want to tow that rig more then a block or 2. Trailer is a bit undersized, isn't it?

Maybe that big empty pole barn could be used to dismantle the beast a bit so it'd actually fit ON the trailer...

wtbarrong

Cadet

Might be a stupid question .... but why not just take out the 470 and replace it with a straight 6? It will match right up. This is what I did in my 22 SS.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Might be a stupid question .... but why not just take out the 470 and replace it with a straight 6? It will match right up. This is what I did in my 22 SS.

Much too easy for our Jas'....

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Heck yeah... EASY button..

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

its a 20 ton tank...he needs MORE HP!!! he needs at least 200 hp......its 26 flipping feet long with a double cabin!!!Imagine his embarrassment with some girls in a row boat pass him!!! bob

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

its a 20 ton tank...he needs MORE HP!!! he needs at least 200 hp......its 26 flipping feet long with a double cabin!!!Imagine his embarrassment with some girls in a row boat pass him!!! bob

Maybe those gals in the rowboat would pull alongside and want to join in on a leisurely cruise and party with the pack!

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gosh I take a couple weeks off to fix my roof and you get a 26'er?

That looks like a heck of a project!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey fellas, ok so yah, I technically shouldn't be working on this but I did end up getting through some demo. Livewell, fridge, seats, seat boxes, cabin bulkheads, consoles, controls, gauges, electronics, and cushions are all out...
P1110346.jpg

This big boat looks even bigger with all that stuff otta the way:thumb:

The deck there, yah, I can just poke my finger right down in, total mush.

A couple guys were talking about Fast N' Loud, over on the Islander thread, awesome show, pretty much the only TV I actually watch:rockon:

You guys that watch know they are always dealing with rats n' stuff during tear down. So here's what was stinkin in my livewell...
P1110341.jpg

I think I counted 6 at various stages of decomposition.

OK, so since we were kicking around how to power this boat with the last few posts up there ^^^^^ here are my thoughts:

5.7 V8 - I do believe this would be the ideal match for this boat. Good weight to HP and still ok fuel mileage. This is what I'd really like to have in this boat.

454 - More HP than I really need, extra weight, thirsty. But, would be pretty sweet in this light alum boat! If one came along at a good price, I'd grab it.

4.3 - If I can find one of the higher HP versions, 205, 225, that would be just fine. Should push this boat plenty and awesome mileage while trolling all day. If I could score an MPI, oh, that would be cool too! (prolly not likely though)

I6 - The I6 would do ok I suppose but prolly a little light on the HP. The simple matter of the bolt up to what I got would be nice. This engine would likely come cheap too. But, in the end, I know I would want more ya know.

Twin I6 or Twin 3.0/140 - Twins would be really cool! But, as much as I love the IO, double of everything seems like a giant pain, so, prolly not.

OB on the bracket - This option would be cool and the extra cockpit space would be totally awesome! But $$$. I am not a rich man. The bracket, plus the big HP OB would be 2 or 3 times as much as gutting a nasty glasser for a transplant. Plus, I think I just love the IO.

So, that's where I'm at on the driveline. The thing I really like is I have time on my side. I am in no rush with this project and am happy to wait till just the right one comes along.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your boat stinks! Well, it used too. I see a karaoke barge. :D

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

I give the 5.7 my vote... :thumb: Look into some of the through the transom exhaust vids on YT with the diverter, you'll want it.

I can see the head of steam fizzling out when the paint removal chore strikes hard with that acre of painted tin. I'm feeling that right now as a matter of fact. Oh lord and the 300 Lbs of foam. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.