87 SS180 First Rebuild

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
Purchased this SS180 thinking I would be able to use it a bit before rebuilding, but I must have been blind when I bought it. When I got it home it I found much more wrong with it than I had initially expected.

Standard problems, rotten transom and floor. The Mercury 135 isn't pretty but its got good compression and it starts right up. hopefully just a paint job and a new prop and I'll be good.

I started the tear out this past weekend, pulled the engine and ripped up the carpet only to find wet plywood over old wet carpet. When I got the 1st floor out, I stepped right through the original floor. I'll have to be careful and try to get the old floor out in mostly one piece so I can use as a template.

I haven't yet figured out how to get the transom out, with the large rear deck, but I'll just start removing pieces and see how it goes.
IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

astor

Re: 87 SS180 First Rebuild

When I removed the plywood top floor, I found the standard ski locker in the floor, with the teak cover hidden underneath. The teak was black wet and slimey. Picking it up was like trying to pick up a wet bar of soap.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When I removed the plywood top floor, I found the standard ski locker in the floor, with the teak cover hidden underneath. The teak was black wet and slimey. Picking it up was like trying to pick up a wet bar of soap.

Sweet boat astor! and a ski locker bonus

concept10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice boat and project! Good luck on the restore.

dozerII

Admiral

Great boat, and Welcome to the Starmada. I can see the shovels coming out for the soggy wet foam:facepalm:

barato2

Commander

welcome to the tin armada. fortunately you've obv done your homework so you know what you're getting into, and that someone else has already hit every snag you'll run into. at least exterior paint looks good as is.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Welcome,

Fortunately, teak is one of the few woods that can be brought back from it's current wet & funky status, w/ time & elbow grease:)

Be careful not to damage the ski locker surround/trim when you demo the remaining original decking.

astor

Thanks guys, really looking forward to getting the tear-out complete. Can only seem to put an hour or two a day into it.

Anyone have a good source for the plastic strip that covers the windshield screws? buggered two of them up trying to get them out.

I think I'll be able to salvage the teak on both the swim platform and the ski locker.
IMG_0385.jpg

8aef0e43.jpg

FishNmemories

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is a great find Astor, an SS is a awesome multi-purpose vessel. The ski locker looks like it can be salvaged, along with your swim grid. Good luck with your project and welcome to the gang!!

astor

Made some progress today. Looks like the whole rear deck will have to be removed to get the transom out. There were large blocks of styrofoam under the rear deck, those will definitely be going back in.
Tomorrow I will try to remove the starboard console, then the floor and foam.

I was looking at Starcrafts website and see they are putting pressure treated floors in the new boats. I wonder how they prevent corrosion of the aluminum. Anyone know?

844adbc9.jpg
d3d04ec8.jpg
ff6dffa8.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

I was looking at Starcrafts website and see they are putting pressure treated floors in the new boats. I wonder how they prevent corrosion of the aluminum. Anyone know?

I don't know for sure, but as a manufacturer, they buy in HUGE bulk, so they may be able to spec, kiln-dried, or even kiln dry it themselves. This removes some of the excess moisture weight often found in PT lumber. Once very well dried, it can be sealed, and having a low moisture level, it will absorb sealer much better, and the sealer will be less prone to failure. Once well sealed, the PT presents less corrosion problems. Painting the hull anywhere that might come into contact w/ the PT would help as well.

As an innovator, and long running producer of tin boats, I would hazard a guess that SC spent a ton of money to engineer a way to use the PT in an aluminum boat. I'd also bet that if you looked at the aluminum their using, it wouldn't be obvious what had been done to it.

Proprietary space age technology:D

astor

These older boats could have used some better floor materials.......on second thought if they were built with better floors how would I be satisfying my DIY addiction. :D

9dfff7f6.jpg

dozerII

Admiral

Boy does that look familiar. I see they ran your fuel fill and vent hoses the same as my 201. I am willing to bet the fill hose is rotten where it is in the foam.

astor

Looks like the "shelfs" on either side of the boat are riveted with solid rivets through the hull. I think I need to grind those rivets out to remove these shelves, as the plywood floor is underneath them. Anyone done this without grinding out those rivets?

dozerII

Admiral

I was up against the same thing with Naked Lady, what I did was run the jig saw blade length wise at the 90 degree bend cutting the down ward piece off then un-screw it from the floor. When you go back together just pick up a length of 1"angle aluminum and use it for a backer to join the 2 pieces back togehter.

astor

Glen,
thanks for the input. I was kind of thinking the same thing. But I think now I've convinced myself to grind the rivets off and punch them out. A couple of guys I work with are building aluminum kit airplanes, so they've got all the tools, rivet guns and bucking bars, so I might as well take it off as one piece. Its only 9 rivets per side.

Ben

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Glen,
thanks for the input. I was kind of thinking the same thing. But I think now I've convinced myself to grind the rivets off and punch them out. A couple of guys I work with are building aluminum kit airplanes, so they've got all the tools, rivet guns and bucking bars, so I might as well take it off as one piece. Its only 9 rivets per side.

Ben

You can also drill them, pretty fast

astor

You can also drill them, pretty fast

I haven't drilled solid rivets before, just pop-rivets. I was worried about the bit wandering or not being centered and making the hole too large.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I haven't drilled solid rivets before, just pop-rivets. I was worried about the bit wandering or not being centered and making the hole too large.

Center punch, a small bit to start a good divot & then thru drill w/ correct size bit. First, after just a few you'll skip the small bit step. But w/ a center punch, it goes quick w/ just the right size bit.

A drill w/ a variable/adjustable speed trigger is almost imperative. Sloooooooooowly start the bit, w/ just enough pressure to start the hole. Too much pressure or too much speed the bit can wander quickly off the rivet head & into many things you'd rather it not:eek: Just like a grinder.... Ask Jas:facepalm:

astor

what is the best way to clean off the carpet glue residue from aluminum? I did a search and didn't find much.

I didn't get much time on the boat project after work today but I did grind off and pop out the rivets on the port side, was faster than I thought, real easy. Only problem now is I'll probably have to buy 10 lbs of solid rivets to get the 18 I need.
Will have to start shopping soon: Gluvit or Coat-it, plywood, epoxy, foam, new fuel lines, marine vinyl and carpet.

I think I'm going to reuse the old seats and cushions temporarily. Will leave that work for winter.