the 1967 Holiday 18 and Multiple Boat Syndrome

InMotion

Commander
Re: the 1967 Holiday 18 and Multiple Boat Syndrome

Good to see you back and sorry to hear about your folks man.... it's hard to watch... but at least you can take advantage of the time you still have with them.

Nice further progress there... I like where you're going with it... it's gonna turn out really sharp when you are done!

J.

barato2

Commander

thanks Jim. you are too kind. i think it will turn out more like functional but none too pretty. David Byrne described it nicely:
"this ain't no party this ain't no disco this ain't no fooling around...."

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Lots of 'Talking Heads' around here so whats one more added to the bunch! :heh:

Yeah fuel tanks under the deck that don't exactly fit, I'm there with you right now but went the route of raising the entire floor 1" to allow for the needed room of the filler hose. I never realized the full reach of the domino effect until now with the changing of one little thing that causes the change of another that causes the change of another and on down the line.

barato2

Commander

Watermann, that's very kind of you. most folks seem to think i do my talking out the other end........

Wee bit o progress despite having to spend some late nights at the office.

Here’s the test fit of floorboards cut out for tank, with the coffin of native earth, er, tank, in place
P1010213-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

for comparison, here’s how the 18 gallon version would fit....not as far back, and not as high
P1010214-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I’d been worried about how all my work on the swim step teak and the kicker bracket wood was going to stand up to our brutal UV here since the boat cover don’t cover them, so I sprung $16 for a yard of Sunbrellesque fabric on fleebay and made some quickie covers....just held on with nylon webbing straps and some Fastex buckles
P1010215-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

barato2

Commander

my “shark mouth” arrived.....a layup of it next to the headlight nacelle (sorry about black background)
P1010217-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

loading the super-thinned epoxy into the freshly cut edges along bottom of sliders (remembered that I needed to cut em down 1/4" to compensate for the 1/4" increased thickness of new floorboards AFTER I had em all epoxied and varnished...)
P1010218.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The “epoxy dam” on the fresh floorboard cutout.
P1010219.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Progress is progress B2! Slap a tail on that dorm fridge to keep those pesky sea lions away :)

dozerII

Admiral

Looking good B2, that is one big fuel tank. Good idea on the sun protection for the exposed wood. The way the weather is going here we may not need sun protection this year.:eek:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Aren't you worried the shark teeth will scare away the fish, B2? Tank fit is looking good!

barato2

Commander

Hey all....hope you’re starting to see some liquid water up there. Nice and warm here...lows in high 50s, highs in high 70s, great boat work weather but for that 30-40mph wind/dust storm nearly every day......so I’ve been mostly working inside the boat and leaving the cover on. I’m sure it keeps the neighbors on their toes, seeing that covered and apparently-empty boat moving about and making noise.......The Floating Dead, Tin Edition

Very little visible progress....I’m into the part that involves cutting blue foam to fit up under the bow, between the wood framing members. For the curves near bow, I laid the foam on top of the bow and just traced the exterior curve. None of it came out perfect but you won’t see it. I tried something new on cutting curves in the 2" foam: a coarse wood cutting blade in the jigsaw. Came out nicely and a lot faster than cutting with knife, but you’ll want to keep the shop vac handy (I follow along with the saw as I cut) due to the fine static-clingy foam “sawdust”.

I have a lot more than that cut but need to get some liquid nails etc to hold it in place and hold the sections together. Once I get it level with the ends of the wood frame members, I’ll do 2" foam down to level of dash. Eventually, it will all be secured from below by an epoxy-saturated 1/4" plywood “ceiling” under the bow. You’ll have to go through a tunnel to get out the hatch; good thing I’m skinny.

Also tightened up every fastener for the wood bow framing and added nylock locknuts....the originals were amazingly tight for being in place for 50 years, but I figured that some insurance wouldn’t hurt for rough water and washboard roads. About $10 worth of nuts and an hour of time.

EDIT: for whatever reason, iboats ain't letting me upload pix today. i'll try again tomorrow.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

All sounds good ^^^

{now about those pix..........**

barato2

Commander

P1010220-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1010221.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Double-nutting ought to keep it together on the briny. Hope it does as well on the roads down to the sea. :) Probably will be the worst part of the trip.

Your 50 year old bow support wood still looks to be in good shape.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Outstanding Idea B2! This area often gets overlooked especially on a closed-bow...alot of dead-space up-in-there!

SigSaurP229

Commander

WOW B2 thats awesome work and won't ever come loose. Are the nyloc nuts stainless?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Got vertigo looking at the bow supports upside down. :lol: Nylocs and star lock washers, that won't rattle apart... ever.

Those on edge bow support boards are mahogany aren't they? Mine looked like that until they met me and my belt sander, now they look like this after the spar dried.

Too bad only the admiral will get to admire their beauty :D

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

I tried something new on cutting curves in the 2" foam: a coarse wood cutting blade in the jigsaw. Came out nicely and a lot faster than cutting with knife, but you?ll want to keep the shop vac handy (I follow along with the saw as I cut) due to the fine static-clingy foam ?sawdust?.

Hi B2. A hot wire setup for cutting foam works pretty slick, with no mess at all. Stretch a fine wire between 2 convenient points and power it with a model train transformer to give an adjustable temperature. I used stainless steel safety wire at a temperature just below red so the wire lasts longer. I've heard some people use guitar strings. - Grandad

barato2

Commander

Blue---thanks. i'm too lazy to do the computations on exactly how much flotation i'll have, so i'm just working on the plan of "stuff it in everywhere until no more will fit", especially in locations that help it float level. i'm even going to glue up a block from scrappage to toss in the console dead space, and will use 1" foam to pad around batteries etc and wedge em in place.

Sig---yeah, they're stainless. altho that is one location where mild steel might not be a bad idea, on the "rust is the poor man's Loctite" plan....on the portabote, i use mild steel machine screws and SS wingnuts to secure all the extra wood bracketry, as they don't loosen up as much as if i use SS screws too

Grandad---i considered a hot wire setup similar to what i've seen some folks on here make, but just finding the parts and fabbing it up would take a while, and i wanted to "git 'er done". the "sawdust" is so fine that any mess is pretty minimal and can be shopvac'd off before i take cut piece out to the boat.

Watermann---you HAD to go and post those pics, didn't you? :rolleyes: now i'm thinking of yanking and at least refinishing the one part of this stupid boat that i wasn't going to pull out....and then i'll decide to use the old pine as templates to make new boards out of oak, and and............ :facepalm: and in my case, no one will see them since they'll be covered by foam and the wood "ceiling".

Last edited:

barato2

Commander

A few more pix

the “cave of blue foam” where Yr Humble Neanderthaloid Narrator has been spending his evenings of late....2 views.
P1010229.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1010223-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1010226.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Probably won’t reinstall the headlights til I have the other stuff under bow done....makes a nice access port!

barato2

Commander

The blue foam, a little more complete.
P1010227.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And the ?follow the curve of the bow? plan for initial cut of foam worked well....if my freehand lines 3" inboard of the traced lines were better, it would have fit almost perfectly into the curve
P1010230.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

just checked the weather....we?re supposed to have highs in the 90s this weekend! Hopefully I can make some serious progress since I?ll be staying home.