1975 Starcraft SS 16' Freshen Up

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Scoring with a razor knife and snapping is the easiest and I've tried everything. Less mess too than sawing.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Scoring with a razor knife and snapping is the easiest and I've tried everything. Less mess too than sawing.

Definitely for straight lines. On my last boat project, I had a bunch of offcuts to use up and I needed to nest small parts together for best yield and parts with curves. The bandsaw was a real time and material saver, but you are right. Score and snap is the most efficient way for volume work

Michigan Lakes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I also found the scoring and snapping method to be the most effective. For the 2" think pieces, I used a sharpened putty knife.
As for rivets, I took the Starmada advice to heart and avoided Harbor Freight and the "Arrow" brand found at most of the hardware stores in my area. After a bit of research, I was pleased to discover that the "nation's largest in-stock supplier of rivets" (https://rivetsinstock.com/) is located three miles from my house. Their 3/16", large flange, 0.5"-0.625" grip range all aluminum rivet worked wonderfully to secure the floor.
After countersinking each hole with a 5/8" router bit, I recoated the cut areas with polyurethane. This was probably overkill, but seemed appropriate given all the time spent sealing the wood. Before the carpet is put down, I plan to fill each of the countersunk holes with epoxy.
After all the work getting the wood to where is it today, I almost hate to cover it with anything. Getting these pieces secured in the boat really feels like the "over the hump" moment in this job. Still lots of work ahead but no single step should be quite as time consuming as the wood prep and install.

Attachments

• photo312349.jpg
    photo312349.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 20
  • photo312350.jpg
    photo312350.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 20

Michigan Lakes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi there everyone. Finally managed to make some mild progress and get the Home Depot "Traffic Master" marine carpet cut and glued down. The quart of carpet adhesive did not go as far as I had hoped but the carpet seems quite secure as-is. Should be even more so once the consoles, bulkheads, seats, brackets, etc are installed.
My console tops (see photo) are totally hacked from 4+ decades of PO's fishing and navigation equipment. Thankfully, I was able to pick up a 4' x 3' remnant of .080" 5052 from the local Alro for $28. I mic'd the existing console tops at .050" and had hoped to use the same thickness but I was unwilling to spend over $100 extra for a non-remnant sheet.
I'd like to have the aluminum cut and installed over the old console this week. As of right now, the plan is to use a standard set of Dewalt Bi-Metal jigsaw blades for the cuts and then install with autobody adhesives.

Attachments

• photo313696.jpg
    photo313696.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 23
  • photo313697.jpg
    photo313697.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 23
  • photo313699.jpg
    photo313699.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Michigan Lakes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Finally got around to getting the aluminum plates cut and secured to the console tops. I had hoped to use only adhesive but there was simply to much flex and curvature in the original metal for my comfort. The five carefully located rivets in each plate have greatly increased the structural rigidity of both console assemblies.
I also plated over the access openings in the bow bulkhead assembly. I plan on using removable cushions in order to maximize the amount of usable storage space.
After much debate and anguish in the Menard's paint section, I ended up settling on Rustoleum Professional "Safety Blue" oil based paint. It is a fairly close match to the sections of the original paint that were not faded (i.e. not visible). It is only available in gallons, so I have plenty left over for future stages of the project.
I followed Woodonglass's "Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint" instructions and I'm reasonably happy with the way things turned out. The paint seems well adhered to the surfaces (used self-etching primer on the bare aluminum and regular automotive primer over all surfaces) and the texture is mostly smooth. I did end up with a somewhat disappointing amount of orange peel, which is shocking considering it's my second time running an HVLP gun and I'm using the highest quality "Central Pneumatic" tools.

Attachments

• photo313699.jpg
    photo313699.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 23
  • photo315744.jpg
    photo315744.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 23
  • photo315745.jpg
    photo315745.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 23
  • photo315746.jpg
    photo315746.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 22

Watermann

None of us should expect more from a home paint job than it looks good and won't fall off :lol:. That's what I strive for anyway after figuring out the paint job at home won't ever look like a pro job.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Looks great. I was wondering if safety yourself blue was close to original. Don’t beat yourself up about the orange peel. It won’t matter when you have a fish on the line or smiles on the family’s faces when having fun on the water.

I want a good from 50 footer myself...doesn’t hurt as bad when or if you scratch it

Michigan Lakes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After getting seat recovering quotes from several local upholstery shops that were in the $700-800 range, it became quite apparent that 100% new seats are the logical choice for this build. It seems odd that a set 100% new seats would be cheaper, but that's economies-of-scale I suppose. Yes, I know the new seats are made in China and are probably not quite as durable as the originals, but my seats were in pretty rough shape both structurally and cosmetically.
I found myself unable to decide between ordering the "factory" white seats or the slightly more flavorful and fun blue seats. Fortunately, a certain Seattle-based online retailer still has a pretty generous return policy and I decided to order both colors. I mocked up the consoles and seats in the boat to get a true comparison. In order to get the most accurate sense of the colors, I "unburied" the boat and pulled it out of the garage.
The blue seat (Wise Deluxe Series Lounge 8WD521P-1-718) is notably "smokier" than it appeared in the online photos. I really wanted to go with blue seats for fun's sake (also a bit easier on the eyes on sunny days) but I feel like it clashes just a bit too much with the newly painted consoles, faded factory gunnels and the vinyl covering on the insides of the hull.
The white seat (Wise Deluxe Series Lounge 8WD521P-1-710) is the tone I expected. I made solid attempt at brightening the remaining factory "white" vinyl sections with Magic Eraser, Scotch Brite Pads and Soft Scrub. Noticeably brighter but still not an exact match to the new seats. On a side note, the upholstery shop will have an easier time matching the white color when they redo the bow sections for me. It's also generally cheaper to go with white.

I'm really leaning towards the white. Does anyone disagree?

Attachments

• photo316361.jpg
    photo316361.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 22
  • photo316362.jpg
    photo316362.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 21
  • photo316363.jpg
    photo316363.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 21

Michigan Lakes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Between iBoats, friends and family, no one picked blue. White seats it is.

I dropped off the wood from the bow seating area at the upholstery shop and left them with the lone white seat. They are comparing the vinyl they have on order with the new seat to ensure a good match. In the mean time, a lucky fb marketplace user scored my old seats and rotted out bases for $20. I'm honestly surprised that I got anything for them and grateful for the small dent it made in the $550 upholstery bill.

As for this Summer, I did not want anymore 90 degree days to pass while the SS sat unused. I filled the tank with six gallons of ethanol-free from the local Exxon and a buddy and I hit lake with no seating whatsoever. The boat was solid, weather beautiful and the Evinrude ran great.

I did discover one major issue as I was backing away from launch however, and that was an apparent mistake I had made when installing the steering column. The order of the evening was turn-right-to-go-left and vice versa. I obviously took the remainder of the trip quite cautiously and kept wide a berth. I had disassembled, cleaned and re-lubed the steering column but I couldn't imagine what about the straight cut gear could cause reversed steering. After racking my brain for a while, I finally realized that I had installed the steering column upside down and placed the rack gear on the bottom when it should have been on top. This is what I get for taking no photos or notes of the disassembly I did last fall. :facepalm:

It is really difficult to describe just how counter-intuitive reverse steering is after every mode of transportation you've used for your entire life has employed a turn-right-to-go-right concept. It might make for a great mental fitness test for astronauts or someone like that. :lol:

Attachments

• photo317133.jpg
    photo317133.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 29
  • photo317134.jpg
    photo317134.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 30
  • photo317135.jpg
    photo317135.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 30

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Can’t wIt to see what yours looks like with the white seats, then I’ll know what mine will look like next year:)

You can get the original pleated vinyl and flat vinyl sheet from JT’s Outdoor Fabrics in Barrie Ontario, Canada if you are looking to restore your other panels. https://www.jtsoutdoorfabrics.com/

Watermann

Don't feel bad man, I have steering cable dyslexia as well :lol:

Glad you got on the water, I'm heading out right now to do some fishing.

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Haha backwards steering while standing sounds like fun! Kinda like backing up a trailer, turn left to go right. It's gotta feel great to get on the water and enjoy your progress. Floor vinyl looks good!

Michigan Lakes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Haha backwards steering while standing sounds like fun! Kinda like backing up a trailer, turn left to go right. It's gotta feel great to get on the water and enjoy your progress. Floor vinyl looks good!

That's actually "Traffic Master" marine carpet from Home Depot. I don't do much fishing and enjoy the softer, cooler, non-slip quality of carpet.

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's actually "Traffic Master" marine carpet from Home Depot. I don't do much fishing and enjoy the softer, cooler, non-slip quality of carpet.

Oops, I got your boat confused with Shoestring's 16SS. Oh well, the flooring looks good, whatever it's made of!

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Agreed...that carpet is a nice medium blue. I like the feel of carpet much better but chose vinyl due to fishing duties.

Michigan Lakes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Interesting developments in the world of Chinese boat seats......

The twin to the white Wise lounge seat (8WD521P-1-710) that I hoped to order from the Seattle-based online retailer for $192 to my door, is no longer in stock with no insight into when it will be available. After some searching, I was pleased to find that iBoats carried the same seat for $195 to my door. I'd be glad to pay a few extra dollars as I appreciate them hosting this forum.

Then I noticed "Ships from warehouse in 40 Business Days" on the checkout page.....:eek:

I contacted iboats and they confirmed that yes, 40 business days (mid Sept) was accurate as "They are having problems this season getting the seats in from overseas." Needless to say, it's a small bummer. I imagine most of the other sources online are in a similar situation. I'm also not willing to pay much more than $200 as I've already, of course, gone over budget.

On a brighter note, the upholstery shop finished the bow seats. With that, I decided to put together what I could with seating and get the family on the water. The extra storage space up front is nice. You casting deck guys don't know what your missing. The aft seating might be wonky looking the rest of the season but.....if you're floatin', you're boatin.

I am a bit perplexed by one minor issue (see last photo). The windshield fit well last year. When I reassembled the boat this Summer, I used the existing consoles mounted to the existing rivet holes. I did replace the vinyl floor covering with carpet (might be 1/8" thicker) as well as covered the swiss-cheese console tops with .080" 5052. Even with that, I did not expect to find that my windshield could not be adjusted to less than a 1/'2" gap, which is just big enough that the latches will not grab. From what I've researched here on iBoats, it looks like I'm not the first Starmada member to have windshield "fitment issues".

I'd like to avoid any shimming as new weatherstripping and frame are fitted nice and clean along the freshly painted consoles. I plan or trying to locate, or perhaps fabricate, slightly longer latches. Although the gap is somewhat large, it is even and I don't think it'd look too wonky.

Any thoughts, concerns, shaming or guidance on this?

Attachments

• photo317935.jpg
    photo317935.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 83
  • photo317936.jpg
    photo317936.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 28
  • photo317937.jpg
    photo317937.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 29
  • photo317938.jpg
    photo317938.jpg