1974 Starcraft SS16 Restortation

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good day,

I am new here and would like to do a restoration blog on my SS16, is this the right place to be doing it?

Cheers

FIGMO

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep

post non- Photobucket pix, esp of the busted knee braces

you'll get plenty of help

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello jbcurt00,

Excellent! I will be starting the work on the boat shortly, so I will just continue from this thread.

Cheers

FIGMO

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: aboard Figmo,

You've come to the right place for everything Starcraft, right now there's a fleet of 16' SS' being worked on in the forum.

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Watermann,

Thanks for that, lots of great posts on this site. Looking forward to starting on the boat.

Cheers

FIGMO

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do images have to be a certain size in order to uploaded them directly to this site?

Watermann

Do images have to be a certain size in order to uploaded them directly to this site?

Yes, they limit the pic size if you resize, 1024x768 is a good size to post.

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Watermann,

I did as you indicated and resized to 1024x768, and I am still getting an upload error message "error uploading image". Not sure what I am doing wrong.

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I think I finally have the uploading of images figured out. That didn't take too long....

This is my SS16 in the driveway. I purchased it on 31 May 2017 as a birthday present to myself.

More background on this boat to come before I commence with the tear down.

Cheers

FIGMO

Attachments

• photo274113.JPG
    photo274113.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 166

Watermann

So welcome to the Starmada, minimum admission paid :lol:

Be sure to branch out with comments at the other SS threads in progress, it'll help get more guys to come around and sub to your thread. :)

fetch

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mr. Watermann,

Thank you for resizing that image for me. Yes indeed on following other build logs. I have already set up a couple of links to other builds, sadly some of those used photo bucket. Most of the links I found were from random searches, and no longer active. The best one I have found to date was Candutch, which of course he recently finished. A beautiful build. If you have links to more active logs I would greatly appreciate the links.

I will be posting my background information to get this started very shortly.

Cheers

FIGMO

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Hello All,

The background on the boat as promised. I purchased this boat from my best friend?s father. They share the same first name of David, or Dave. Dave and I have been friends since we were seven years old. We are both 54 now, so 47 years of friendship. I had a very good relationship with both his father and his mother (she was a like a second mother to me). Sadly, his mother passed away last February. To top it off, his dad seriously injured himself on both his snow machine and his quad (tough old farmer). He has very limited use of his right arm now. That coupled with the passing of his wife led him to offer me the boat as he knew I liked to fish, and that I was interested in buying a boat. A sad situation, but that is how I came into possession of this particular SS16.

My goal for the boat is to restore it to a point where it is both functional and aesthetically pleasing. In addition to that I want to make a tribute of the boat to my friend?s mother by naming the boat ?Iris?, her first name.

To start off with, I am a total neophyte. That said, there is no end to my ambition, but there is a limit to my bank account. My wife has given me a budget of 3K (Cdn). There are a number of things I want to do to this boat, so I will list them in point form for ease of following my sometimes disjointed thinking:

Demolition. I plan on a complete tear down of the interior, to include removing the decking and replacing the flotation foam in the bottom of the hull. You will see that the splash well is cracked, and is need of repair. The same is true for the keel knee (?). It looks as though the previous owner, prior to my friend?s dad, let the transom go too far and it damaged both the knee and the splash well. Once I get those items out I will have a closer inspection of the transom to determine if I need to replace that as well.

Painting. I want to strip and paint both the interior and exterior. I am thinking of a sliver/grey base coat with marine royal blue accents. I have seen pictures of a SS16 with a similar colour combination, and I really like the look.

Seating. I want a raised platform in the bow with storage. I intend on mounting a pedestal seat in the front to control the trolling motor. I am also thinking of four pedestal seat mounted where the back to back seats are currently located.

Carpeting. Likely a light grey marine quality carpet.

Console/Dashboard. I need all new instruments, and new wood for the console. Everything is in pretty rough shape. I will have to consider the placement of items carefully as I also want to add a stereo and some additional items such as switches for lights, bilge pump etc.

Live Well. I was able to use the boat a number of times this summer, as is. The good news is that the motor (Evinrude 60hp) runs like a charm, and there are no leaks in the boat what so ever. However, after going on a number of fishing trips, I came to the conclusion that I will want a live well. The question is where to put it, and the thought of drilling through the hull sickens me to a certain degree.

Miscellaneous Items. I am pretty sure I want rod holders. People were beating the crap out of my rods in the boat as there wasn?t a proper place to store them. Drink holders, a small item but it was a pain in the boat. Decent storage space, I am looking to the front of that boat for that once I put in the raised deck. There are a number of good ideas on this site, which I will continue to read through in order to consolidate my plan for the rebuild.

That was long winded, but it was the introduction. I am sure I will come up with some other things as I go through the process. The main reason I am on this site is because of all the good information and support that I saw in other posts/blogs. This appears to be a very supportive community, and that is exactly what I am looking for if I am going to do this boat right.

Cheers

FIGMO

005.png

Attachments

• photo274230.JPG
    photo274230.JPG
    242 KB · Views: 45
  • photo274231.JPG
    photo274231.JPG
    292.6 KB · Views: 43
  • photo274232.JPG
    photo274232.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 43
  • photo274234.JPG
    photo274234.JPG
    268.1 KB · Views: 43
  • photo274235.JPG
    photo274235.JPG
    283 KB · Views: 45

Watermann

Great intro to your SS, all the damage you have is very common with these boats due to use with rot compromised transom wood and decking. I see you have the original configuration with the head knocker seats. You can make your SS into what ever you want her to be as far as layout goes

In your profile add a resto link to your signature line like I have in mine so others can find and visit your thread. As far as SS16 threads go, oh man there's a ton of them underway right now in various stages. Just take a look here in the SC section upper level.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owners-groups-by-manufacturer/s/starcraft-boats

GreenHoliday

Seaman Apprentice
Sounds like a good plan. There are plenty of good people here to help you as you go along.

I am a couple months into my rebuild and the one thing I would recommend is to list out your expenditures as soon as possible... then multiply those costs by 150%. You will run into a lot of unforeseen costs, this being your first foray into boat rehab. I have read a lot of things on here, but I don't recall seeing a post where someone said: "When everything was said and done, I came in way under budget!" I was alarmed at how quickly the cost of essentials added up. Really made me think about how bad I needed certain "bells and whistles."

With that being said, you will absolutely end up with a great boat if you just stick with it.

As for posting pictures, here is how I do it from my Android phone without using a 3rd party host. It should be easier if you are using a computer:
- Post as normal and then access the advanced editor (the "A") at the top. ***Note: I have to go into my browser (Chrome) settings and request the desktop version of the website to access the advanced editor.
- Click on the "mountain" icon.
- Click on "upload"
- Choose your 1024x768 image from your phone's album.
- Click "send it to the server"

Then you can change the size of the embedded photo if you want. It is a little cumbersome at first, but it bypasses all of the third-party hosting issues.

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Green,

Definitely good advice on costing the project. I saw a build on another site, it was 3 years old, where a guy estimated his time at 220 hours, and 2.2K in costs. He basically did a rebuild similar to what I am after, so I used that as rough estimate. I will certainly add a percentage for cost over runs.

As for the photos, I will continue to experiment with those until I get the "sweet spot".

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Again Watermann,

Done and done! Thx for the link.

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Hi Again,

I am planning the tear down of my boat, and there are a couple of things I have to do before I can get started. The first will be to build a motor stand, the plans for which I pulled from this site (awesome!). I plan on fogging the motor, and changing the lower end oil before I take the motor off the boat for the winter. I am fortunate that I have excellent neighbours and one of them has a engine hoist I can borrow to pull the motor off of the boat.

The second thing will be to build a Boat cradle, of which I found a few examples on Google. I was curious if anyone here had examples they had built. I am looking for a multi purpose design that will hold the boat upright for interior work, and then can hold the boat upside down for hull work and painting. Attached are two examples I found that included casters. I like that first one as it looks as though it could handle the boat both upright and upside down. The second one looks okay, but not wide enough to handle the boat upside down.

Cheers

FIGMO

Attachments

• photo275753.PNG
    photo275753.PNG
    510.9 KB · Views: 10
  • photo275754.PNG
    photo275754.PNG
    502.1 KB · Views: 10

MNhunter1

Ensign
I just used 3 of those wooden coaster dollys you can pick up at Harbor Freight for around $7 or so with a couple of 2x4's for when I had my hull turtled. placed one up at the bow and spanned a 2x4 between the other two for the stern. Worked like a champ; and easily broken down and re-purposed when done. You could easily fabricate an upright cradle to use with them as well.