Yellow Submarine

pckeen

Commander
After four years of looking, the 2700 km (1650 miles) round trip road trip starts tomorrow after work..... I'll let you know when I get to Sudbury whether I've got thousand bucks of nothing, or a viable project. First order of business when I get there (after a once over, and some pics to satisfy the mob), will be getting the trailer ready for the trip home.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Check the canvas and windows and maybe take it off before hitting the road - Highways speeds may tear it up.

Tie her down good onto the trailer.

Good luck and travel safe, Peter.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
DDDaaannnnnngggggggg... Safe travels for sure! Is that back end a hard top also? removable? Good luck on the trip!

dozerII

Admiral
God luck and safe travels Peter, nothing like a little bit of a drive too pick up big Tin;)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Have a safe trip man! On the return trip, let this sink in....

"I am rebuilding a small apartment, that's inside a boat, that I am also rebuilding. This is going to take me a large amount of time and a small pile of money, and that's ok."

:thumb:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Happy trails, man I live road trips and even more when it's to nab onto some long desired tin!

Oh make sure the bow hatch is battened down too, don't want it flying up or off.

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That baby is a beast,.Enjoy your trek, you will prob have plenty people starring on the way home. I would.

pckeen

Commander
Thanks everyone. The trip was great. Saw a clutch of Model T Fords, the OPP motorcycle display team, helped out some guys who had a bearing and hub break, and great views after great views.

GA_Boater

And.........................

You gonna leave us hanging, Peter. Where is the Yellow Submarine? :D

pckeen

Commander
LOL. I'm posting from a phone so split this up. I got to the BFB.
I was pressed for time, as I was losing the light, so I only had time for a quick video. It will require a total teardown including a complete paint strip. So far, hull looks good. As for the trailer, wheels, hubs and brakes are off. She is getting new tires, two new electric brakes, maybe two new hubs. I will post a better video in a couple of days once the work is done.

https://youtu.be/e8x_Z8GZFas

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
LOL. I'm posting from a phone so split this up. I got to the BFB.
I was pressed for time, as I was losing the light, so I only had time for a quick video. It will require a total teardown including a complete paint strip. So far, hull looks good. As for the trailer, wheels, hubs and brakes are off. She is getting new tires, two new electric brakes, maybe two new hubs. I will post a better video in a couple of days once the work is done.

Oh yeah you have the monster tin safe at home in the driveway :thumb:

Yeah I agree with you on that structure aft of the top needing to go so things open up better.

GA_Boater

The Yellow Submarine will be no more. :blue: But I think that's good. :smile:

The added on stuff in back would make for tough fishing.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
That video needs to be a warning for migraine sufferers! :eek: :lol:

pckeen

Commander
Oh yeah you have the monster tin safe at home in the driveway :thumb:

Yeah I agree with you on that structure aft of the top needing to go so things open up better.

I wish. Not safe home yet. Tires have been replaced, but I haven't been able to find replacement brakes, bearings and races. I may be replacing the axles tomorrow.....

Alumarine

Captain
I wish. Not safe home yet. Tires have been replaced, but I haven't been able to find replacement brakes, bearings and races. I may be replacing the axles tomorrow.....

There should be a bearing store or 2 in Sudbury isn't there?

If Princess Auto doesn't have the bearings they will have the 3500 lb 80" axles with 62" spring centers on sale for $140 on september 20th.
I now that doesn't help you now but you could buy them at the regular price now and get a rebate on the 20th.

good luck

pckeen

Commander
There should be a bearing store or 2 in Sudbury isn't there?

If Princess Auto doesn't have the bearings they will have the 3500 lb 80" axles with 62" spring centers on sale for $140 on september 20th.
I now that doesn't help you now but you could buy them at the regular price now and get a rebate on the 20th.

good luck

I'm going to try Larry's tomorrow.

OK. I'm new to rehabbing trailers. What is a spring axle? Currently there is a drop axle on it. Can I use a straight axle instead?

Last edited: