Cobalt Owners?

Mike250

Seaman
Re: Cobalt Owners?

Very nice looking Cobalt.

I used to buy new but after looking around I was surprised to find really nice used Cobalt's at much lower prices. It looks like you found a winner!

Let us know how she runs.

good luck and nice boat!.

the rebel

Seaman

Hi, I just became the new owner of a 1995 Cobalt 220 . She has the 7.4 with Volvo Duo Prop OD . Looking for some good swim platform plans to build one myself. Already have some good ideas. Anyone care to share swim platform plans? Great looking boats here.

Cobalt018Medium.jpg

Cobalt019Medium.jpg

Mike250

Seaman

Looks like a clean Cobalt you have there. Is the inside as good looking as the outside? Engine hours?

Adding a swim platform might be a little trickey with the angled transom and if your planning on going the full width it looks like it would need to be notched-out for the drive.

You might want to take a look at Overton's and see if anything they have might work. I've seen boats with small teak platforms that fit on either side of the drive that might work. Of course if your the handy type you could do a custom job.

Good luck and nice looking rig there.

the rebel

Seaman

Looks like a clean Cobalt you have there. Is the inside as good looking as the outside? Engine hours?

Adding a swim platform might be a little trickey with the angled transom and if your planning on going the full width it looks like it would need to be notched-out for the drive.

You might want to take a look at Overton's and see if anything they have might work. I've seen boats with small teak platforms that fit on either side of the drive that might work. Of course if your the handy type you could do a custom job.

Good luck and nice looking rig there.
Thanks Mike. Yes the interior is pristine . 1000 watt amp with 10" subs and 4 two ways. Boom Boom . :D . 430 hrs. Well maintained. Newly rebuilt Holley , Accel plug wires, NGK R plugs, impeller, water pump. Two new rams on the out drive . Props just tuned up . 60 mph @4300 with two people in the boat. I am going to check the timing and gap the plugs , I believe red line is 4600 on this engine . I did a compression test and all is well at 145-150psi . If all goes well I will replace the valve springs this winter and maybe pull the heads and do a pocket port and three angle valve job . should be worth some extra grunt .

The swim platforms for the 220s are a bit unique in that they mount to the existing 12" platform at the rear . They extend out 2' from the transom above the bump rail line . It's a real neat way to mount it on this boat , gives you a 3' swim platform that is over 6' wide . I was planning to build it out of plywood with several coats of spar urethane tinted in white with some texture material for a non-slip surface . I can cut drain slots with my router to keep it from puddling . I'll use SS tubing for the upright supports .

Mike250

Seaman

That looks great, and the platform looks good too! It looks like it overlaps the molded platform?

the rebel

Seaman

Mike, it mounts to the original rear 12" platform and extends out 2' from the back of the transom. Making it 3' of continuous swim platform. Pretty cool . And , yeah that does look good ..

Holy Smokes

Recruit

Add another new Cobalt Owner here!:)

We bought our 1999 Cobalt 293 this past June and have been enjoying it since. It's loaded out with twin Volvo 5.7GSi with Duo-prop drives, genset, AC/heat and all the other standard Cobalt goodies!

the rebel

Seaman

Add another new Cobalt Owner here!:)

We bought our 1999 Cobalt 293 this past June and have been enjoying it since. It's loaded out with twin Volvo 5.7GSi with Duo-prop drives, genset, AC/heat and all the other standard Cobalt goodies!

Welcome, post up some pics of that 99 Cobalt will ya ...

tgotch

Banned

2003 Cobalt 226 owner here. Hour meter just turned 600 hours this summer (yep, we use the sh!t out of it) :)

We've owned 5 boats, and this is by far, the best boat we have ever owned!

Rasta

Cadet
Swim Platform

Swim Platform

2 friends put on extended swim platforms from swimplatforms dot com. It costs a little extra to get the stainless rubrail on it but looks much better that way. They really look nice...almost like they came from the factory with them.

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Nivek,
I saw the pics of your boat with the gas pistons holding up the rear seat, would you mind taking some pics of the attachment points and size of gas piston, I have the "optional" hydraulic ram opening, it's a little silly, takes forever to open, makes a big battery drain, does not open all the way and adds quite a weight. Needless to say I removed it and now hand lift and use a 2x4. Pistons would be great.
Thnaks

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Nivek,
I saw the pics of your boat with the gas pistons holding up the rear seat, would you mind taking some pics of the attachment points and size of gas piston, I have the "optional" hydraulic ram opening, it's a little silly, takes forever to open, makes a big battery drain, does not open all the way and adds quite a weight. Needless to say I removed it and now hand lift and use a 2x4. Pistons would be great.
Thnaks

Sure. I'll check it out tomorrow and post up.

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sure. I'll check it out tomorrow and post up.

Thanks for the quick response. I saw the bottom mounting bracket, that L piece of metal but can't see the top, nor the geometry of how they are attached.
Nice living in AZ, boating all year! I'm already on the hard and winterized here in the Northeast.

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the quick response. I saw the bottom mounting bracket, that L piece of metal but can't see the top, nor the geometry of how they are attached.
Nice living in AZ, boating all year! I'm already on the hard and winterized here in the Northeast.

I ended up having to work all day so no pics yet. Ill try to get to them tomorrow. Yes, boating all year is definitely one of the benefits of living in AZ. Unfortunately there is only one lake relatively close to me. The others are 2.5 hrs away. :-(

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

Here you go. Sorry for the blurry pics. My camera is a POS. The part number that is listed on the piston is S6322 903. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the pics. Went to their web site but I can't seem to get that p/n to come back as valid. But they have a "wizard" you need to tell them dia, rod length,overall length, weight, and end type.
Do you think that may have been aftermarket installed? It does not look like cobalt installed.From the pic perspective I really can't tell where that upper mount is installed to the seat.
Sorry to be a pest, certainly no hurry I have alll winter.
Thnaks Ira

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the pics. Went to their web site but I can't seem to get that p/n to come back as valid. But they have a "wizard" you need to tell them dia, rod length,overall length, weight, and end type.
Do you think that may have been aftermarket installed? It does not look like cobalt installed.From the pic perspective I really can't tell where that upper mount is installed to the seat.
Sorry to be a pest, certainly no hurry I have alll winter.
Thnaks Ira

I just called Suspa Inc., and had them look up the old part number. The new corresponding part # is c16-00632. You can pull this one up on their website. My installation is definitely not factory. I bought the boat in April so I have no idea when they were installed. It looks like someone just made two simple 'L' brackets and bolted the gas spring directly to that. Then they just screwed the 'L' brackets directly on to the boat.

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well that sure looks easy enough thanks for all the "legwork" i wonder if previous owner had same setup I did. If you see a large steel bracket setup on the inside center of the transom, thats where the piston used to attach and you might see a double "molex" connector just hanging in the air and a dashboard switch that does nothing.
Thanks

arty007

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i love my cobalt a 1978 open bow...:D