Cobalt Owners?

Mike250

Seaman
Re: Cobalt Owners?

2005 Cobalt 250, 496 mag.

This is my third Cobalt and I can say I've had a very good experiance with the company over the years. First was a 1991 222, next a 2005 226 (496 mag) and then this 250 I bought used last year. Man, that 226/496 mag ran GREAT but the exhaust was too loud, even with the CC closed.

Great company.

thomasalva

Seaman Apprentice

Just bought a 1989 21BR with Volvo AQ271C (5.7l) and duoprop (DP-A) outdrive. Happy so far, but I've only had it out for a couple of short test runs.

Cobalt98

Recruit

Just bought a Cobalt 1990 19ft 4.3 Merc. alpha I $3500 with trailer. Excited to get it wet.

ManUnited

Recruit

Hello from Switzerland

Last week we got our brandnew Cobalt 242 with the Merc 350 Magnum MPI. Awsome boat, great handling, large enough for a bunch of people and I am looking forward when its broken in.

drpeeb

Cadet

2005 Cobalt 250, 496 mag.

This is my third Cobalt and I can say I've had a very good experiance with the company over the years. First was a 1991 222, next a 2005 226 (496 mag) and then this 250 I bought used last year. Man, that 226/496 mag ran GREAT but the exhaust was too loud, even with the CC closed.

Now that is weird. I have an '07 226 with the 496 mag, with no CC, & it's only even audible at like 55+.

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

Hello,

2 months ago I bought a '79 Cobalt 18th w/ a OMC 260. So far I love it. I just got done re-carpeting it. What a job that was! I am the 3rd owner and the boat has been taken care of very well. All of the upholstry, minus the carpet is in great shape for a 30 y/o boat. See pic. Got the boat, trailer and a bunch of extra stuff for $3200.00

downsized_0509091335.jpg

drpeeb

Cadet

2 months ago I bought a '79 Cobalt 18th w/ a OMC 260. So far I love it. I just got done re-carpeting it. What a job that was! I am the 3rd owner and the boat has been taken care of very well. All of the upholstry, minus the carpet is in great shape for a 30 y/o boat. See pic. Got the boat, trailer and a bunch of extra stuff for $3200.00

Congrats! And those are some serious load guides on your trailer! You could close your eyes & drive right on! I just added load guides to mine last nite, so yours caught my eye.

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

Congrats! And those are some serious load guides on your trailer! You could close your eyes & drive right on! I just added load guides to mine last nite, so yours caught my eye.

Hehe, its funny that you mentioned that. I always thought it was rather easy to 'land' the boat. I suppose that is the reason why! I wouldnt have it any other way.

AHudson

Cadet

Nice looking boat!

Agreed. I normally don't like yellow, but that looks 'right' on that boat.

Far as the original post, I'm not even an owner... yet! Sent my deposit on a 2007 222 with the 496 Mag last week.

Am heading to look at the boat Wednesday. Will be selling a 1994 Nautique open bow I've had for years. Family enjoyed it but thought it was a little limited, thus the Cobalt.

The boat I'm looking at has 18 hours, so SHOULD be like new. We'll see.

Mike250

Seaman

Growing-up a good friend of mine had a Cobalt tri-hull (dad's boat) and we ran the snot outa that thing water skiing.

That one looks to be in great shape. Any pics of the inside?

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

Growing-up a good friend of mine had a Cobalt tri-hull (dad's boat) and we ran the snot outa that thing water skiing.

That one looks to be in great shape. Any pics of the inside?

Sure do. I took these right after I finished re-carpeting. I didnt get any pics of the bow seating though. I have recently sanded down and re-oiled all of the Teak. With the exception of a few pieces that were just too weathered, the wood came out great.

DSCN0476.jpg

DSCN0477.jpg

DSCN0479.jpg

DSCN0480.jpg

DSCN0482.jpg

Mike250

Seaman

Wow! All things considered it's in great shape! Very nice, I love the look of teak, don't see much of that any more.

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

Wow! All things considered it's in great shape! Very nice, I love the look of teak, don't see much of that any more.

Yeah, its a shame that new boats don't have as much as these older boats do. But at $40 a board foot, I guess I can't blame them! Ipe is a good alternative to Teak, but it is much heavier. Ipe will last 40+ years untreated. Any pieces of the Teak that need to be replaced will be replaced with Ipe.

Mercruising

Recruit

Yeah, its a shame that new boats don't have as much as these older boats do. But at $40 a board foot, I guess I can't blame them! Ipe is a good alternative to Teak, but it is much heavier. Ipe will last 40+ years untreated. Any pieces of the Teak that need to be replaced will be replaced with Ipe.

Cool boat!

Tell me more about the Ipe and where to get it. I want to build a swim platform for the back of my 77 Cobalt.
IMG_0752.jpg

Mercruising

Recruit

I bought this classic Monday. 19', '77 model with only 330 hrs. Very original and near perfect condition. 5.8 Mercruiser . Was looking for something with an open bow, but couldn't pass up this beauty. Can't wait to get it on the water this weekend.
IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

Nice boat! Man, what a beauty. You should be able to find Ipe at any specialty wood working/supply shop in your area. If not, you can search online for suppliers. It is an awesome wood. Extremely hard, almost like ABS plastic, but much heavier. It has a color that is similar to Teak, so it does not appear out of place when using along side Teak. It is either the 2nd or 3rd hardest wood in existence. It devours sand paper!

I checked out your profile to see where you were. Maybe give these guys a call:

G & H Woodcrafters
2106 Blueridge Dr, Canyon Lake - (830) 899-4932

Gruene Wood Works
- www.gruene-woodworks.com
1633 Hunter Rd # D, New Braunfels - (830) 626-1515

If all else fails, call boat shops in your area and see if they know of any wood suppliers near you.

Follow this link: http://www.cobaltboats.com/contact/downloads.html
and download the original brochure for you boat so you can get an idea of what the original swim deck looked like on your boat.

Good luck and glad to see another vintage Cobalt owner! Keep us updated with the swim deck build

Mercruising

Recruit

Follow this link: http://www.cobaltboats.com/contact/downloads.html
and download the original brochure for you boat so you can get an idea of what the original swim deck looked like on your boat.

Good luck and glad to see another vintage Cobalt owner! Keep us updated with the swim deck build

Thanks so much for the compliments and help. There is a real good pic of the original swim deck in the owners manual.