Back Issue and bored

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Reading all everybody's horror stories is like the story of my life. A Xray of my back looks like a line of rocks (Epoxy). I have had 8 of those micro surgeries and can tell you "They Work!". You crawl in; and after an hour of pain free sleep; you walk out. The only real pain is the Co Pays that comes with it.
I inherited the O thing from my Mother; so I am very leary.

alldodge

Staff member
Got a call yesterday for the doctors nurse, asking if I can be at the Hospital at 0630, so my surgery is done, and I'm back home. Woke up after surgery in sever pain. Breathing hard and nurse said "slow your breathing so the meds (just gave me, in IV) can work. Told her I'm trying but pain is bad.

About 5-10 minutes of this it starts to ease up. A little later we head for Mom's hose and after some lunch we head for home. So I'm home tired, and just walking is uneasy. Gave he Hydrocodone and Valium

Doing the work the doc said they cut a mussel to get at and area. I figure some of those bone chips moved around so not all in the one place, Being home is good, but now I'm looking at 6 weeks for the mussel to heal :(

Least I will be back to 100% (that is 100% old guy) but longer time is a bummer

southkogs

Staff member
Hang in there AD. Hope the recovery is quicker than expected.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Glad youre doing better. Serving suggestions on bottle "alcohol may intensify its effect"

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Glad you are out and moving. Hopefully you got a good back support belt; and you got a PT coming out. And do that word everybody with back problems hate. "Walk"!!

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks guys, its getting better.

Last night I felt like a slug, tired, weak and as the evening went on it didn't get any better. Though my blood pressure was low, but it was a bit low but not enough to cause an issue 129/64. Went to bed at 8 and got up a few times to wizz (been drinking lots of water).

Had some chili at Mom's before heading home and that was a mistake, tossed it up later that evening.

Anyway, feeling much better this morning, figured all the drugs from the hospital got washed out by morning. Got up at 5 and did all the morning stuff and feeling fine. Some soreness in the incision area, and any bending over feel some more but otherwise no pain. No pain, no pain meds, so all good

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
That is good to hear. As you know, keep up on the PT. Flexibility and a strong core helps a lot of things.

alldodge

Staff member
So far no PT has been scheduled, and with my back mussel being cut, it will be 6 weeks before I "should" do much of anything. Been laying around for the most of 2 months, and now I have another 6 weeks :facepalm: :frusty:

It will get better, it will get better, it will......

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
It will get better. Yep, the "shouldn't do anything" period is awful. I recall hearing it from the Admiral, "stop doing that" (oh, I hear that still...) .
It will get better, enjoy the down-time

harringtondav

Commander
Sorry about the glom-on. My osteoarthritis and resulting stenosis has me on a walker for the first 5-10 min. of hell each morning, followed by a 2 hr. recovery. Then I'm good for 4 hrs of light duty, then back to the chair.

My pain management MD has me scheduled for Radio Frequency Ablation 20 Nov. He will use a heat needle to sever the pain causing nerves. If this doesn't work it's off the to the Neurosurgeon for me. Then it will be a 'lesser of two evils' choice. Live like an invalid 20 yrs older than I am with heavy doses of Vicadin, or risk lasting complications from the surgery.

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry to hear that harringtondav, relentless pain is all bad news, and just existing is no way either. My mom-in law has been in a walker for the last couple of years due to hip pain. She has HHT, which means she bleeds real easy and its hard to stop, so they cannot to operate to fix.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
AD, take it easy and let your body do its thing. I hope it's not too hard on you...

alldodge

Staff member
AD, take it easy and let your body do its thing. I hope it's not too hard on you...

Thanks, I'm trying to be good. Being waited on aint that bad.
Good thing I got the last boat winterized 1 day before the call. Only thing left is the power washer but that's real easy

alldodge

Staff member
Maybe I can come up with a good story if it leaves a scar to the grand kids, maybe the war of 1812 :rolleyes:

No stitches only glue

scar.jpg