Selfish non-boaters at boat launch

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
And people wonder why I struggle and continue to use this ramp. Beside the fact it's only 5 houses from my driveway.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I was about to pull my hair out yesterday when I was backing my boat to the launch yesterday a family decided to block the ramp and enjoy the view and play in the water I had to get out and ask them to move and they started cursing at me luckily an officer was close by and gave them a verbal tongue lashing as well as threatened to give them a fine

NHGuy

Captain
That's why I go to less inhabited ramps or pay ramps. At the marina there are people who "get It". Course it's more money, but I think of it as money spent well. Then I get on the water more easily
Side note, when I worked in Minneapolis in the eighties I went riding on Lake Minnetonka with some folks. It was completely overrun with watercraft. It was so crowded you'd be idling and plowing all the time to avoid whacking into boats, jetskis and chop. Does it have any space to get going nowadays?

littlerayray

Lieutenant
That sounds brutal I like the st lawrence river it's big and open yeah there's traffic but you can go full throttle and it's fun seeing the kids faces light up as we get close to a ship heck I like it as well

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Oh man that would be nice, the state of MN has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars having people man boat ramps to check for vegitation hanging on your trailer (something they do not do very well but that's for another thread), but I never see anyone on site for parking issues.

Not my experience either. On Riley in Eden Prairie the ramp watchers love calling the cops on cars parked in the trailer spots and the Eden Prairie cops love writing those tickets. They've called the cops while I've been there a couple times and encouraged me to call if they aren't present, which I have done. The non emergency # is on my speed dial.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
The cops try to give fines to the parents but when their is no parent around the kids usually run away the cops get lazy and don't feel like chasing them the little punks I make a point not to give the non boaters crap till I return to the the launch to pull out cuz god knows what they would do to my truck if I gave them heck while launching

Pony

Rear Admiral
I very rarely have issues at the ramp, but I think it's because I pick and choose times that won't be as busy. I am fishing and not pleasure boating which makes it much easier to do that obviously. If I go on a weekend I am on the water by 6 or 7am.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I very rarely have issues at the ramp, but I think it's because I pick and choose times that won't be as busy. I am fishing and not pleasure boating which makes it much easier to do that obviously. If I go on a weekend I am on the water by 6 or 7am.
ME too.Being a man of leisure (retired) I avoid the local ramps on weekends as fish have no clue what day it is .With the exception of salmon season weekdays are extremely light at the boat launch and during salmon season your dealing with serious fishermen not weekend warriors.

TCATTC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's a shame that you couldn't block the cars in so they have to wait for you to get back before they can leave.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This is one of the major reasons I sold my boat this year. First time in 33 years that I have not owned a trailer boat.

The ramps surrounding the Phoenix area are just too busy and are not monitored. Just too many self righteous nasty people.

I have actually seen people set up BBQ grills at the bottom of the ramp, knowing full well nobody will make them move. I have also seen people back their trailer in, launch and leave the trailer and tow vehicle at the bottom of the ramp. Now that's convenient! For them.

Done.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I would back my trailer In regardless don't wanna move well guesse what soggy burgers for everyone

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Why would nobody make the BBQ'ers at the bottom of a ramp move?
You/me don't have any authority.

I forgot to mention a good one.

On the Larson's maiden voyage, I took her out alone. Early Friday morning. I figured I'd beat the rush.

Well, I did.

I launched the boat, went to park the truck/trailer rig. When I got back, I found three kids playing in the boat with parents standing on dock. Every switch on the dash was on. Thank God I had the keys! I felt like going ballistic but did not. I thought about offering them a ride but the parents were so ugly about it, I decided not to.

On a positive note. I launched the Larson again-alone. I got back to the dock to find two older couples standing on the dock admiring the boat. They, very politely, asked me a few questions about it. I did offer them a ride, they went along and had a blast. After about an hour, i dropped them off at the adjacent restaurant and they offered to buy me breakfast. I respectfully declined because I wanted to go drown some worms.