Bombardier GTX

Brian66D

Seaman Apprentice
So I'm getting ready to take on a project and need some suggestions/what am i getting myself into.

My uncle has a late 1990s (guessing 97-99?) Bombardier GTX 3 seater. It is green and white if that helps at all. I know it is a 2 stroke.

It has been sitting in the air on a hoist (under a cover) at my cousins house on the lake for the last 3 years (maybe 2). In that time it has not run. It was in perfect working order when it was put up, just been neglected since.

I am going to tow this into the main marina and put it on a trailer. Once I take it home I would like to know a starting point on what I need. I know a good starting point is battery, new gas, oil, and spark plugs...but anything else?

I would definitely like to get it running and use it in the upcoming season....I will probably be able to purchase it off of him fairly cheap especially if I do all the work to get it running.

I will post pictures and updates as soon as possible but I'd like some insight from others who have been down the same path. Anything in particular that I need to look for?

Thanks in advance! :)

ps- this winter was mild, but last year was pretty brutal (below 20* for at least a month and a half)

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bombardier GTX

I'd pull the plugs, squirt in some fogging oil, and turn the engine over by had a few times to be sure that everything moves freely. Do the other stuff you mentioned like new fuel, oil, etc., and fire it up.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer

The dark green/ white GTX models were '96 thru '98 I believe.
Don't try to jumpstart a dead battery- it could easily burn up the EXPENSIVE MPEM. Get a new battery and put it in!
That model is water-cooled. The intake hose should be clamped off before towing to prevent water injestion. If that's not possible, then tow it VERY slowly to minimize head pressure.
+1 on Ernest T's procedures, but make sure to clean the plastic mesh fuel filter (it's reusable).
If it wasn't properly winterized, it could have significant issues above and beyond the fuel and battery.
Take a look at the metal waterbox (muffler). If it's split from freezing then there's a good chance the block is also toast.
Make sure you get the DESS lanyards. If they're missing the dealer must re-program new ones.
If things go well and it starts, it may be time for carb rebuilds. Good PVM anyway. My dealer did both mine (GTI) for about $220
Good luck. Those are nice machines.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea if its been sitting for 3 years, you will probably definitely need to clean the carbs. also.

Brian66D

Seaman Apprentice

The dark green/ white GTX models were '96 thru '98 I believe.
Don't try to jumpstart a dead battery- it could easily burn up the EXPENSIVE MPEM. Get a new battery and put it in!
That model is water-cooled. The intake hose should be clamped off before towing to prevent water injestion. If that's not possible, then tow it VERY slowly to minimize head pressure.
+1 on Ernest T's procedures, but make sure to clean the plastic mesh fuel filter (it's reusable).
If it wasn't properly winterized, it could have significant issues above and beyond the fuel and battery.
Take a look at the metal waterbox (muffler). If it's split from freezing then there's a good chance the block is also toast.
Make sure you get the DESS lanyards. If they're missing the dealer must re-program new ones.
If things go well and it starts, it may be time for carb rebuilds. Good PVM anyway. My dealer did both mine (GTI) for about $220
Good luck. Those are nice machines.

I'm sure it is one of those years lol just not sure what one and he has to dig up the title. I will definitely buy a new battery instead of trying to revive the one it has in it now. I will tow it at no more that idle speed on my way in...should I still try to clamp it off?

I am hoping that it doesn't have a cracked block, that would kind of put an end to the project...

He has the original lanyard...will it have to be programmed if the battery has been dead for years?

I'd pull the plugs, squirt in some fogging oil, and turn the engine over by had a few times to be sure that everything moves freely. Do the other stuff you mentioned like new fuel, oil, etc., and fire it up.

I will definitely squirt in some fogging oil. Should I worry about any seals or anything like that being rotted out?

What is my worst case scenario if it wasn't properly winterized before storage? Cracked block?

Brian66D

Seaman Apprentice

last thing: Could someone give me a rough estimate of what it would be worth in the condition it is in now (saying it doesn't have a cracked block)....going off the idea that it is a 1997.

I mean ROUGH. I really have no clue. 1,000? 2,000? surely not more than that...?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd also look at oil and fuel hoses. They can dry out and crack over time.

Worst case would be everything rusted inside (piston rings, valves, crank). Its pretty hard to crack the block on one of these, since most of the water drains enough to prevent that even if it weren't winterized. If you can get it to turn over by hand, you are probably in good shape. If its locked up, you are probably better off looking for something else, since you can usually buy a running ski for less than the repair would cost.

A 1997 GTX in good running condition with a trailer generally sells somewhere between $1800-2500 depending on number of hours and condition. IMO a non-running ski is worth the value of the hull and trailer it sits on (if you have a trailer), so if you can't get it going I'd say its worth maybe $500-700 tops with a trailer, maybe a couple of hundred by itself.

oldjeep

Admiral

He has the original lanyard...will it have to be programmed if the battery has been dead for years?

No need to reprogram it doesn't depend on the battery to remember the keys.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer

Again, +1 on the other replies.
I will tow it at no more that idle speed on my way in...should I still try to clamp it off?
You'll be OK at idle speed without a clamp. As I recall, the SeaDoo manual says maximum (un-clamped) tow speed is 10 MPH.

Should I worry about any seals or anything like that being rotted out?
Mainly the pumpshaft seal. You'll know right away if it's bad- water will come into the hull. I almost lost my GTI when it failed at the lake. Water got halfway up the crankcase before I was able to get a tow going. Lost the starter from water. It was a $450 dealer repair- and that was 7 years ago.

halfmoa

Ensign

First off I'd like to say I don't know jack about skis...

That said, if I recall correctly I thought it was ill advised to start and run one of these out of the water. (something about pressure or something blowing up?) Does the OP know that? Is that correct or am I wrong?

oldjeep

Admiral

That said, if I recall correctly I thought it was ill advised to start and run one of these out of the water. (something about pressure or something blowing up?) Does the OP know that? Is that correct or am I wrong?

You hook a hose up to run it on land

halfmoa

Ensign

That's what I thought but with the OP requesting info on what he was getting himself in to I didn't know if he would have known that...

arks

Lieutenant Commander

To be perfectly clear, when running a water-cooled PWC on land you have to start the engine just BEFORE turning on the water supply, and shut off the engine only AFTER shutting off the water flow.

Quotes pulled directly from from the SeaDoo service manual:
"Always start the engine before opening the water tap. Open water tap immediately after engine is started to prevent overheating."

"Close fuel valve to run engine out of fuel when lubricating. When engine begins to run irregularly, immediately close the water tap to stop water flow before engine dies."

Brian66D

Seaman Apprentice

No need to reprogram it doesn't depend on the battery to remember the keys.

what holds the programming and if I have the existing one can i buy another one to go with it (not needing programming/similar to having an existing key in a car...you can program the new key off the old one...but without one existing programmed key you have to do a complete theft deterrent re-learn....at least on GMs)

I did know this, similar to a boat....needs to be hooked up to a hose. Thanks for the heads up though :D

Brian66D

Seaman Apprentice

Again, +1 on the other replies.

You'll be OK at idle speed without a clamp. As I recall, the SeaDoo manual says maximum (un-clamped) tow speed is 10 MPH.

Mainly the pumpshaft seal. You'll know right away if it's bad- water will come into the hull. I almost lost my GTI when it failed at the lake. Water got halfway up the crankcase before I was able to get a tow going. Lost the starter from water. It was a $450 dealer repair- and that was 7 years ago.

any way to know without putting it in the water that the pumpshaft seal has gone south?

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer

Not that I'm aware.
If it's on a lift, just lower it and take a look down there.
You'll know within a minute or two.

Oh, and the MPEM holds the memory for the key. A dealer has to program any new ones.

Brian66D

Seaman Apprentice

Not that I'm aware.
If it's on a lift, just lower it and take a look down there.
You'll know within a minute or two.

Oh, and the MPEM holds the memory for the key. A dealer has to program any new ones.

Anybody have a remedy for replacing the (at one time) strechy rope the key is held on to...

This one is completely streched out and crumbling in little plastic pieces everywhere...

I want to cut it out completely at rig up some new type of chain to it, but I'm not sure if anyone has done this before?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Anybody have a remedy for replacing the (at one time) strechy rope the key is held on to...

This one is completely streched out and crumbling in little plastic pieces everywhere...
I took a look at my '97 today. Yeah, just cut the old one off and clip a new lanyard to the rubber grommet on the DESS key. You can buy them at any boating supply store.

I want to cut it out completely at rig up some new type of chain to it, but I'm not sure if anyone has done this before?
As long as you don't fool with the DESS function, use whatever you want to attach the key to yourself.
Remember, laws require the PWC to shut off (or circle at idle) if the operator falls off, so don't be tempted to just put the DESS key on the machine without any other method of attachment.

Brian66D

Seaman Apprentice

I took a look at my '97 today. Yeah, just cut the old one off and clip a new lanyard to the rubber grommet on the DESS key. You can buy them at any boating supply store.

As long as you don't fool with the DESS function, use whatever you want to attach the key to yourself.
Remember, laws require the PWC to shut off (or circle at idle) if the operator falls off, so don't be tempted to just put the DESS key on the machine without any other method of attachment.

I will attach it to my life jacket, of course.

Is the DESS function located in the cap thing or the separate floaty type thing?

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer

It's in the black cap with the metal contact inside.
It completes the DESS logic circuit to the MPEM located in the bow.