1988 Force 50 with Loose Magnetic Strip in Flywheel

mtsav8or

Cadet
I was getting no spark and finally got the flywheel loose after doing all the checks on the ignition and switch. Turns out the magnet was loose and was stuck to the stator:(. Everything else looks OK and intact.

Does anyone have any experience gluing or jb welding these magnets back on? Any suggestions on which compound would work best? I can't see paying $200 to find out I still need other ignition parts. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

mtsav8or

steven4141

Cadet
Re: 1988 Force 50 with Loose Magnetic Strip in Flywheel

A good grade of hard setting epoxy (slow drying, sets harder than the 2 or 5 min. stuff ) might work, BUT I can't say what might happen if it comes loose at WOT. Then again I think they're glued on to start with so who knows. Just be sure to get everything really clean and roughed up with sandpaper so you get a good bond. I'd check E-Bay for a stator and a lot of times if you ask around you can find a parts motor for less than $200.

puddle jumper

Captain

That's what happen to my engine . I used good epoxy and glued it back on and been using it for about two years now with out any problems. The only thing i did was make sure you glue it back onto the same spot that it came loose from so your timing does not get effected.

mtsav8or

Cadet

That's the route I'm going Puddle Jumper. Is the stuff I'd get at the hardware store "good" epoxy or do I need to find a specialty provider? I'm unclear on why the outer magnet placement would affect timing. I thought the trigger sensor worked off the inner magnets and the crankstaft? My magnets are in a strip like magnetic tape that covered to whole inside of the rim. There really isn't a start or stop and there isn't any space between the two ends. I thought the outer ring and stator only created primary and secondary AC power for spark and battery charging.

Any help or suggestions on adhesives and battery replacement will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

puddle jumper

Captain

I use an epoxy (can,t remember the name) but it came from an hardware store. I think any good epoxy will work.

If you look at your fly wheel before you clean it you should see an glue line where the magnet has a split. May be i am wrong but all magnets have a positive and negative. The timing of the pulses passing your stator i think plays a roll in how well your engine runs.

mtsav8or

Cadet

I used an epoxy mix with a temp range up to 250 degrees. It was the highest they had with the exception of jb weld. I've had mixed success with jb weld adhesion to some materials so I didn't use it here.

I did find where the split was on the flywheel. It corresponds with the notch on the inner magnet for the trigger. I had a difficult time telling which way was right side up but I did some creative guessing and I think I got it correct. I let the epoxy cure last night and hopefully will be testing it out tonight. Even though the magnet had a good hold, I used spring clamps to clamp it around the diameter.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. I'll let you all know how it goes. Cross your fingers for me.

mtsav8or

Cadet

Success!!! I installed the flywheel, hit the primer bulb a few times, cranked the starter a little bit and she started for the first time! (At least since she's been in my ownership) Engine sounds good, idles and revs smoothly but sometimes gets "stuck" on a very fast idle. It eventully smooths back out to a nice, slow putt but I think it may be a sticky connection. I'm going to lube everything up.

I do have a question about the water output with muffs. It doesn't seem to really exhaust a lot of water unless a put the drive in gear and run it a bit. Even then I'd expect to see more water out of the top two exhaust holes. How much water should be flying out the exhaust? Since this is my first outboard I'm a little nervous about my inexperience. I'll probably drop the lower unit to check everything out and install a new impeller. I'd hate to ruin this motor by overheating it or doing something stupid.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm really excited to get on the water!

jm_bullard

Seaman

My 1998 120 hp Force just suffered from the same affliction. I am going to pull the flywheel in the near future, and see what I can do to repair it. It looks like one of the magnets came (or rusted) apart. As for the tell-tale, most Force motors I have seen don't have a strong stream. Mine will put out a little water after it warms up a bit, but I only get a strong stream when the engine is revved up a bit.

mtsav8or

Cadet

I finally got out on the water for a test run of the repaired Force 50 flywheel. It ran fine but seemed a little under powered. I'm not sure if I was getting full WOT. It seemed to sound like it was taching too low. I don't have a tach on my boat but it just sounds too low. I was up on plane but that's all I had power for, just to plane and no more. Any thoughts? Boat is a Bayliner Bass Trophy 14 foot with 1 adult and 1 11 year old boy. My thoughts are that the boat should scoot with such a light load. Any experience is appreciated.

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the same motor only a 1990. its on a bayliner capri 17". thats about what you get. every post I have read says 20-30 is max on these motors. I dont get up there because I usually have 2 adults and 2 kids. but I do get it up on plane with the load.

mtsav8or

Cadet

Thanks Jeremy90bay. That will save me some frustration. I was thinking about messing with buying a tach to make sure I'm getting in the right RPM range and messing around with the prop.

I may still mess around with it a little but at this point I'm just looking forward to getting on the water with it a little and catching some fish! I can monkey with it in the off season when I have more time.

Thanks again for sharing the experience!

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used jb weld on my 125 flywheel to put the magnet back on,but it is a one piece with a split . I lined up the split on the magnet with the mark left on the inside of the flywheel and spread the glue around ,put the magnet back in place. I used light clamps to hold it in place till it dried. Hope this helps with your repair. MOPARMAN

leatherwood177

Recruit

Excellent! Made my day! this is the same thing with my 89, 50 hp. Force! found this site and researched! Mickey Mouse plastic flywheel magnet! Reglued it back in and TAH DAh!!!!!!!!!
Great Info gentlemen! great site I- boats!!!!!!!!!! will be back here forever!!!!!!!