1998 Tigershark TS770??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Tigershark TS770??

I have the opportunity to buy a 1998 Tigershark TS770 for 300$. Now, I know everyone says stay away from Tigers, but hear me out. I have been looking for a older, cheaper sit-on to work on this spring and hopefully enjoy this summer. Now, the hull, electronics, and engine are in great, running shape. However, the engine needs to be put back in the ski and reconnected to impeller or impeller shaft. The manual is included, and I have experience working on outboards, boats, and cars. Basically what I am wondering is, how hard would it be to stick the engine back in this thing should I decide to buy it? Will I have to retime/sync the engine and is the ignition system very complicated? Also, will the manual include information on stuff like connecting driveshafts, impellers, etc?
    Wow, lotta questions but thanks guys!

Specs:
    Length 111" (282cm)
    Width 43.5" (110cm)
    Height 36.5" (93cm)
    Weight 410 Lbs. (186kg)
    Cylinders 2
    Displacement 768cc
    Bore/Stroke 83mm/71mm
    Horsepower 80
    Carburetor 1-BN38mm
    Pump Type Jumbo Jet w/molded intake
    Pump Stator Material Die-Cast Aluminum
    Impeller Material Stainless Steel
    Fuel/Oil Capacity 12 Gal/5 Qt. (45.4 L/4.7 L)
    Gauges Speedometer, Fuel, Overheat Light, Low Oil Light
    Hull Material AME 5000 Fiberglass
    Mirrors Standard

1988 Wellcraft 250 Coastal, twin 1988 Johnson 140 VRO
    1990 Proglas 17' CC, 1975 Johnson 85hp

Re: 1998 Tigershark TS770??

Had a Lemon Shark, the quality is not there and if it needs a crank you will be sorry. Look for an older Kawi or Yami that's in your price range.

Comment

We had a TS of that vintage for a while. It was always reliable and not ridden hard so it was OK, for us. We maintained it religiously.

Along with the TS, we had a Yam. (760) and a Sea Doo (800), as I recall the model numbers.

The Yam. was, by far, the most unreliable PWC we've ever owned. Not to mention that it "porpoised" miserably.

The Sea Doo was flawless, by measure.

The TS was fun to ride but slow, by comparison to the other two. I liked it! It had a kind of "funky" exhaust note that I found nice.

As a matter of fact, the Yam. and Sea Doo were stolen one night. We found the Yam. 100 yards away because it failed to start. We found the Sea Doo two weeks later (upside down and empty of fuel). We brought the Sea Doo home, cleaned it up and it fired right up. That was one tough PWC.

That's just my experience.

Comment

I have a TS 770L 3-seater. Goes close to 50 mph and very fun for a 3-seater. Ours has been reliable for the 4 years I've owned it. It's rode very rough and hard for a week straight (family vacation) then only a few other times per season.

I wish I could give you info on the engine issue, but I kow nothing about that. it's very hard to get into the engine compartments (cramped) but I assume that is the case with most PWCs.

Parts are still available so don't worry about that. I've ordered some from this site. http://www.brownsleisureworld.com also eBay.

For $300 you could easily make your money back with a profit if you give up and part it out! go for it.

Comment

Wow thats for all the advice!
          I think I'm gonna go ahead and get it and part it out if i can't repair it. The engine only had about 10 hours on it before it was disassembled. So If all the parts are there, it should run. The hull is in great shape as well.
          TMH, the speedo on it does go up to 55 or so, hope your right!

Comment

Will I need new rings because the pistons were taken out of the sleeve, or will I be able to re-use the old ones??

Comment

here is a pic of the ski in question

Comment

Yes put the new rings in it, it wouldn t make sense to get it all together and running only to find you should have

I have a ts 770 3 seater and it does well, but I keep up on the maint.
                and mine runs about 50 too

Thought that was a little slow till I lost at about half throttle one year, When I came to my senses and swam back to the ski I figured that s quick enough!

Comment

Ok, I will do that. I hopefully will be picking it up either this weekend or next week, and I will post when I start working on it.

Comment

I m not sure how much experience you ve had on a ski, but you may want to keep in mind a lot of bad rude jet skiers have earned just about everyone on a ski a bad name, I fish, boat and ski, jet ski. I have had bad experiences with nutcases on jetskis myself (while fishing)
                    When I m on my ski I dont bother people and do my "tricks" (use that term loosely) off by myself somewhere. I just want you to keep in mind a lot of boaters just don t like people on skis.

Comment

Looks like mine
                      Attached Files
                      86 2850 twins volvo
                      Lake St.Clair MI.

Comment

Originally posted by watermellonI View Post
                        I m not sure how much experience you ve had on a ski, but you may want to keep in mind a lot of bad rude jet skiers have earned just about everyone on a ski a bad name, I fish, boat and ski, jet ski. I have had bad experiences with nutcases on jetskis myself (while fishing)
                        When I m on my ski I dont bother people and do my "tricks" (use that term loosely) off by myself somewhere. I just want you to keep in mind a lot of boaters just don t like people on skis.
                        I hear ya there they can be very obnoxious and rude, especially the kids riding daddys new 70MPH jetski without any clue about boating! We call them "jet fleas". But yes I do observe proper boating etiquette while on waverunners / jetskis etc. I usually use the waverunner just to go to friends houses down the river or just cruise around; aside from the occasional 180, I'm not a trickster on a ski.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike H View Post
                          Looks like mine
                          Exactly like it! How does yours run for you what kinda top speed ya get?

Comment

Some whare around 50 to 60 But you want to keep it down
                            to around 30 to40 just a nice cruseing speed
                            You dont want to beat it up When you do thing
                            WILL START TO GO WRONG !!!!!!!!!!! Trust me on this

And one thing more it only a ONE seater not 2

Mike
                            86 2850 twins volvo
                            Lake St.Clair MI.

Comment

I've kept my speed WAY down because of all the accidents I've heard of involving high speed PWCs. My friend split his skull open and almost died after losing control of a Seadoo and hitting the water @ 60 mph. I also am going to baby it b/c parts are expensive and I want bearings and rings and etc to last as long as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X