over heating ?

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class
i ran my motor in a bucket for about 20 minutes and hte water got hot in the bucket is that normal?

Walker

Captain
Re: over heating ?

Yes, and you can overheat an engine running it in a barrel and getting the water hot.

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class

but is that a sign that the water pump is bad ?

ob

Admiral

If you weren't constantly filling the bucket with fresh cool water,it certainly is.Outboards have no means of cooling water and therefore require and endless supply.

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class

the water pump is located in the lower unit yes?<br />and where would the fuel pump be located i ordered a manual but it did not get to my house yet and i was going to work on it tomorro<br />thank you ob and walker

ob

Admiral

russeler,Post some info on what brand and hp engine you have and someone can answer your questions.

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but why would the fact that the water in the bucket got hot after running the motor in it for 20 minutes be a sign that the water pump is bad? Isn't that (along with water coming out the pee hole) a sign that it is likely working properly? The water coming out of the motor should be warmer than the water going in, but in a bucket, it's just going to continue circulating the same water through the motor until it gets too hot to sufficiently cool the motor. . . hopefully you have shut off the motor or added fresh cold water long before you get to that point!!! I apologize if I've misunderstood something here and am just stating the obvious.

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class

YES I DID NOT RUN IT FOR THAT LONG JUST ON AND OFF TRYING TO GET IT RUNNING AGIAN I WAS OUT ON THE WATER AND SHE STARTED TO SPIT AND SPUDDER AND THEN WHEN I SHUT HER OFF SHE DID NOT WANT TO START BACK UP NOT GETTING FUEL SO I TOOK EVERYTHING APART AND CLEANED IT ALL AND NOW SHE RUNS GOT ALL THE THING TO FIX AND REPLACE POINTS AND OTHER ITEMS