Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ScottishScript View Post

Lovely fish mate, wish we had bass over here. Is number 4 a cod?

That's a catfish. Channel catfish I think.

Comment

• Hey guys, got my Mariner mods almost complete. got the hard floor and seats finished for an evening on the water yesterday and Holy the difference in stability with the hard floor is amazing.
      So excited i forgot to take some pictures lol.

for anyone wondering I have a 55lbs trust motor and with 2 adults and gear i get a top speed of 5-6kmh

Thanks to all the posters for the inspirations!

Comment

• Wow! Just read all 102 pages! Great info on here.. it's sad that the thread isn't active anymore but glad the info is still there. I just bought a used M4 for $50. Guy said only used it a couple of times since he got it 4 years ago. It's the older one with the yellow lettering but still works great and so far no major problems yet but I've only had it out once for about 2 hours since I got it. I actually have the excursion 5 and was modifying that to be a fishing boat I can use on a local lakes but found the M4 for cheap that I couldn't say no. Love the ruggedness
        of the M4 compared to excursion 5 but miss the space of the 5. But I mostly fish by myself and it's much easier to setup the M4 solo compared to the 5.

When I got the excursion 5 I actually bought a suzuki 2.5hp motor for it and had to modify the intex mount to be able to even get half throttle with the 5. The M4 however doesnt need the mod. Works great with it. Im gonna try and modify my M4. Probably do the wooden floors and maybe a table to be able to hold rod holders, fish finder and maybe a down rigger. Anybody got pics of their down riggers setup on here? I know somebody said they have down riggers on here but they didn't have pics. Hope we can get this thread active again! =)

Comment

• Welcome to the club. I don't know why people only come to talk about mods and not just post recent trip stories etc. I don't have any down rigger ideas.
          I've been using my drift sock a lot on recent trips. That is a game changer. I made my own harness for it. I'll try to post pics of it soon. Fyi, there's a Facebook group for the M-4 you can join which sees regular traffic. I think it's against the rules to post the link but you can search for it easily enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Starkonian View Post
            Welcome to the club. I don't know why people only come to talk about mods and not just post recent trip stories etc. I don't have any down rigger ideas.
            I've been using my drift sock a lot on recent trips. That is a game changer. I made my own harness for it. I'll try to post pics of it soon. Fyi, there's a Facebook group for the M-4 you can join which sees regular traffic. I think it's against the rules to post the link but you can search for it easily enough.
            Hey thanks I just sent a request hopefulky its the right facebook group. Made a little video on my mariner with my suzuki 2.5hp.. watch it here if you like.

https://youtu.be/JtbSkhD5JTI

Also for my first mod I ordered extra stock rod holders. I have the excursion 5 and loved that it had 4 rod holders. 2 in the back 2 in the front. Im gonna do the same thing and maybe just put an extra one in the back by the motor mounts. I like to troll and those mounts actually work great for me. So ill probabky glue that bew mount. As for glue, hh66 would be good to use right? Another thing.. anybody have experience using these scotty glue on pads?

https://www.austinkayak.com/products...xq5BoC-7bw_wcB

Scotty makes accesories you can use to mount a bunch of things one od them being a downrigger.

Edit- what kind drift sock are you using? Im lookong at getting one too since I like to drift fish.
            Last edited by Jiggyjay; October 14th, 2015, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jiggyjay View Post
              Edit- what kind drift sock are you using? Im lookong at getting one too since I like to drift fish.

I don't have any experience with the HH66. I'm sure Marine Goop would work pretty well.

Regarding drift socks. I bought model # 10072 http://www.oceansouth.com/index.php/sea-anchors/seaanchordrogue-detail

It's 32' and cost $20 on ebay. You could step it up to the 42" if you really want to slow down. The 32" seems OK up to 15 knots of wind

http://www.ebay.com/itm/42-Drift-Sock-Sea-Anchor-Drogue-Sea-Brake-Fits-Boats-Up-To-25-Large-Size-/251735166081?hash=item3a9c95cc81

I watched your video. $50 was a steal. Nice motor. You need to make a wooden floor with seats and get off the side tube. The M-4 comfortably fits two fisherman and gear with a floor and pedestal/milk crate seats.

Comment

• Originally posted by Starkonian View Post

I don't have any experience with the HH66. I'm sure Marine Goop would work pretty well.

Regarding drift socks. I bought model # 10072 http://www.oceansouth.com/index.php/sea-anchors/seaanchordrogue-detail

It's 32' and cost $20 on ebay. You could step it up to the 42" if you really want to slow down. The 32" seems OK up to 15 knots of wind

http://www.ebay.com/itm/42-Drift-Sock-Sea-Anchor-Drogue-Sea-Brake-Fits-Boats-Up-To-25-Large-Size-/251735166081?hash=item3a9c95cc81

I watched your video. $50 was a steal. Nice motor. You need to make a wooden floor with seats and get off the side tube. The M-4 comfortably fits two fisherman and gear with a floor and pedestal/milk crate seats.
                Yeah cant complain about buying it for $50.. goves me more money to mod this thing. Ill probabaly get some marine goop to get those rod holders installed.

So has anybody reinforced the mariners 4 floor, not the slate floor but the actual boat floor. Reading this thread and the complaints I read on amazon the floor seems to be the mariners weakest link. If you look at it its not that thick of a material and I can see it easily getting holes. I actually just patched up some holes on my floor. The first time I took it I noticed I had water in the boat but I wasnt sure if the boat was leaking or if it was from me since I put some water on the boat getting in. Then after reading the whole thread there were some people who got water in their boat from a leak so decided to just check mine to be safe. I turned the boat over, put a flash light under it and was able to find some spots that were brighter than the rest which were little holes. Ended up sealing it with some glue but now I want reinforce the floor by adding another vinyl layer or even just sealing it with glue.. thoughts?

Comment

Yeah cant complain about buying it for $50.. goves me more money to mod this thing. Ill probabaly get some marine goop to get those rod holders installed.

So has anybody reinforced the mariners 4 floor, not the slate floor but the actual boat floor. Reading this thread and the complaints I read on amazon the floor seems to be the mariners weakest link. If you look at it its not that thick of a material and I can see it easily getting holes. I actually just patched up some holes on my floor. The first time I took it I noticed I had water in the boat but I wasnt sure if the boat was leaking or if it was from me since I put some water on the boat getting in. Then after reading the whole thread there were some people who got water in their boat from a leak so decided to just check mine to be safe. I turned the boat over, put a flash light under it and was able to find some spots that were brighter than the rest which were little holes. Ended up sealing it with some glue but now I want reinforce the floor by adding another vinyl layer or even just sealing it with glue.. thoughts?

I think everyone when they first get their Mariner 4 become obsessed with protecting the boat from the slightest scratch, which is only natural I guess. But having owned mine for a couple of years and used it countless times on the rugged glacial lochs here in Scotland, I have to say it really would take an unusual catastrophe to kill it.

Yes the floor is definitely the weak spot, especially where the floor joins the boat proper, but the sooner you accept you're going to encounter holes there, the sooner you'll be able to relax and enjoy your fishing. Once you become adept at dealing with adverse events, they become less of a concern.
                  I have a repair kit that's evolved over the past two years, everything from patches of all sizes, various glues etc. I even take a spare propeller for my Minn Kota, and most important of all, spare drive pins for it.

In all my trips I think I punctured the air ring section of the boat once by rubbing against a rock when setting off from shore. And I fixed it on the spot with a self adhesive bike puncture patch.

My friend on the other hand nearly destroyed his Mariner 4 when he ran over a rock in shallow water at speed. He tore a two inch gash in the floor right at the front, which very easily could have extended into the air section. Within minutes he was ankle deep in water. I mention this because if it had happened to me early on I would have wept. But when I saw it that day I just shrugged and told him it was no biggie, easy fix. And it was.

I guess what I'm saying is experience does make all the difference. Be prepared and have fun.

And don't fret if some little floor holes produce some water in the boat at the end of a session, you'll get that anyhow from a decent downpour.

I toyed with the idea of reinforcing the floor with a sheet of vinyl, but in the end didn't bother. Just be careful when putting the boat in the water and taking out. The most obvious thing to prevent damage, is to remove all the weight from within the boat before dragging it ashore.

I will say this however. Damage will occur when you're surprised by obstacles while at speed. I can't recommend enough having a fishfinder on board that has a depth alarm to warn you when surprise shallows are approaching. A few times it's saved me from full speed collisions with rocks that could have gutted the boat.

Anyway, good luck. We're almost into winter and the thread here goes extra quiet I've noticed. I was out last week and that morning mist is becoming more common, soon have to get out the thermals.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2226-C.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	10062255

Name:	IMGP2231-C.jpg
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	10062256

Comment

• Scottish. Thanks for your input. Great pics btw. Yeah with winter coming I figure I would do the reinforcements since I wont be able to boat anyways. That will at least keep me busy through the winter and get me excited for spring. Not really into winter activities other than sleeping! =) got any advice on a fish finder? Think thats going to be my next major purchase. What are you using now? Oh and hows your board mod that you put on the motor mounts holding up? Im lookong into maybe doi ng that to hold downriggers and such.

Comment

• I'll add a few pictures from last weekend. I took my 4 year old out fishing for the afternoon in the Mariner 4. Water in the lakes and reservoirs around here are low, which is normal for this time of year. But there's also very few other folks on the water which makes for some great fishing. My little outboard continues to exceed my expectations.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...009_142931.jpg
                      https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...009_143910.jpg
                      https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...009_164152.jpg
                      https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...009_164349.jpg

Comment

Scottish. Thanks for your input. Great pics btw. Yeah with winter coming I figure I would do the reinforcements since I wont be able to boat anyways. That will at least keep me busy through the winter and get me excited for spring. Not really into winter activities other than sleeping! =) got any advice on a fish finder? Think thats going to be my next major purchase. What are you using now? Oh and hows your board mod that you put on the motor mounts holding up? Im lookong into maybe doi ng that to hold downriggers and such.

Hi Jiggy,

The custom transom mod works great, and I say that because I haven't been motivated to conceive a new version. It holds the engine, sonar and now three rods. I basically attached one of those expandable wall clips people use for hanging garden tools against the wall. This allows me to cram in a third smaller 7ft rod between the two that sit outwards from the boat. It lays across the top of both extender arms closer to the water and allows me to run smaller lures for smaller fish species.

I'll post some pics next time I'm out.

I use the Humminbird 120 Fishing Buddy fishfinder. It's basic but it works well and because it's all in one it's easy to clamp into the transom. Here's a link.

http://www.humminbird.com/Freshwater.../Fishin-Buddy/

As for downriggers, they're not something I've had to deal with as my target fish - Pike - tend to hang out in the shallows. This means everything about my setup is designed to allow me to troll in waters as shallow as 3 feet and not get snagged up. If I ever decide to target Ferox Trout I'll worry about downriggers.
                        Having I said that, if you really need to go deep, I'm pretty sure you can use a combination of planers and paravanes to draw your lures both out from the boat and down without the need for an expensive and cumbersome onboard downrigger. See these links.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orange-Deep-...L70_SR70%2C45_

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Redesigned-O...eywords=planer

I have never used them myself, but it may be a half way solution for your needs that prevents you having to make onboard modifications. I know other anglers who fish deeper lochs and they use them all the time.

If I were tasked to install onboard downrigger however, I'd design something that sits in the middle of the boat and stretches back top where you're sitting. Probably a hinged setup where it's placed down over the oar holders on both sides and lays flush with the boat to attach your downriggers.

Sort of shaped like a big H, with the centre line of the H running across the middle of the boat. This would give you a little bench in front of your seat to hang lures and fit cup holders. Also, the top ends of the H could be fitted with Scotty rod holders for when you have company. The whole thing could be easily secured to the oar holders on both sides. Make sense?

Actually I just took half an hour away from writing this to work up a graphic, hope this helps.

Name:	intex-mariner-boat-B6.jpg
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	10062433

Comment

• Originally posted by 1idahoguy View Post
                          I'll add a few pictures from last weekend. I took my 4 year old out fishing for the afternoon in the Mariner 4. Water in the lakes and reservoirs around here are low, which is normal for this time of year. But there's also very few other folks on the water which makes for some great fishing. My little outboard continues to exceed my expectations.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...009_142931.jpg
                          https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...009_143910.jpg
                          https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...009_164152.jpg
                          https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...009_164349.jpg

Nice pics. And if you're wondering where all your water goes, it's here, in Scotland. Because it always ends up in Scotland.

Comment

Hi Jiggy,

The custom transom mod works great, and I say that because I haven't been motivated to conceive a new version. It holds the engine, sonar and now three rods. I basically attached one of those expandable wall clips people use for hanging garden tools against the wall. This allows me to cram in a third smaller 7ft rod between the two that sit outwards from the boat. It lays across the top of both extender arms closer to the water and allows me to run smaller lures for smaller fish species.

I'll post some pics next time I'm out.

I use the Humminbird 120 Fishing Buddy fishfinder. It's basic but it works well and because it's all in one it's easy to clamp into the transom. Here's a link.

http://www.humminbird.com/Freshwater.../Fishin-Buddy/

As for downriggers, they're not something I've had to deal with as my target fish - Pike - tend to hang out in the shallows. This means everything about my setup is designed to allow me to troll in waters as shallow as 3 feet and not get snagged up. If I ever decide to target Ferox Trout I'll worry about downriggers.
                            Having I said that, if you really need to go deep, I'm pretty sure you can use a combination of planers and paravanes to draw your lures both out from the boat and down without the need for an expensive and cumbersome onboard downrigger. See these links.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orange-Deep-...L70_SR70%2C45_

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Redesigned-O...eywords=planer

I have never used them myself, but it may be a half way solution for your needs that prevents you having to make onboard modifications. I know other anglers who fish deeper lochs and they use them all the time.

If I were tasked to install onboard downrigger however, I'd design something that sits in the middle of the boat and stretches back top where you're sitting. Probably a hinged setup where it's placed down over the oar holders on both sides and lays flush with the boat to attach your downriggers.

Sort of shaped like a big H, with the centre line of the H running across the middle of the boat. This would give you a little bench in front of your seat to hang lures and fit cup holders. Also, the top ends of the H could be fitted with Scotty rod holders for when you have company. The whole thing could be easily secured to the oar holders on both sides. Make sense?

Actually I just took half an hour away from writing this to work up a graphic, hope this helps.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n10062433[/ATTACH]
                            Nice drawing! Thanks for that. Yeah I was actually thinking of doing a little side board like that but didn't think about doing a cross board to connect them all.I really want too much mods on my mariner since I'll be inflating and deflating wheb using it. Wish I had the space for a boat and trailer oh well this will do I'll look into those divers and boards. I've also actually read about DIY downriggers using old reel and braided fishing line. Might go that route to be cheap and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip scottish

Comment

Nice pics. And if you're wondering where all your water goes, it's here, in Scotland. Because it always ends up in Scotland.
                              It ends up in california! They're in a real bad drought right now. I live in utah which is not far from idaho. Our reservoirs are low as well. Typically the water ends up being used as drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggyjay View Post

Nice drawing! Thanks for that. Yeah I was actually thinking of doing a little side board like that but didn't think about doing a cross board to connect them all.I really want too much mods on my mariner since I'll be inflating and deflating wheb using it. Wish I had the space for a boat and trailer oh well this will do I'll look into those divers and boards. I've also actually read about DIY downriggers using old reel and braided fishing line. Might go that route to be cheap and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip scottish

I inflate and deflate mine too every time I take it out, which is why I make foldable mods whenever I can. If you hinge that big H in the right places you'll be surprised how small you can make it for transport. My custom transom unbolts and folds flat taking up no space at all. But I agree, try out the cheapest, simplest solution first and take it from there.

Comment

Working...
                                X