Calling All Ontario Members

wrench 3

Commander
Re: Calling All Ontario Members

not sure how the current is up there i haven't boated above the west of cornwall much since im not to sure about the water levels but this summer i plan on taking the boat up to brockville for ribfest and watch the big poker run and have all the crazy boats zoom past me as if im standing still
Just so we don't scare any one away from this part of the Trent system, currents are only "swift" in the early spring.
That ribfest sounds like fun Ray, but if your going into unfamiliar waters, pick up some charts first.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

thanks for the great welcome looking forward to seeing you all on the water just out of curiosity i wonder if there is an iboats sticker that can be made so that we can stick them in a conspicuous area like the windshield and start like a club so that people can be easily identified on the water

Thats a awesome idea!! lets get the mods to suggest it to iboats for us.

littlerayray

Lieutenant

Just so we don't scare any one away from this part of the Trent system, currents are only "swift" in the early spring.
That ribfest sounds like fun Ray, but if your going into unfamiliar waters, pick up some charts first.

dont worry bout the charts im picking up my gps/depthfinder/fishfinder with navionics gold card this week or next

wrench 3

Commander

dont worry bout the charts im picking up my gps/depthfinder/fishfinder with navionics gold card this week or next
I got my first GPS last summer an love it. I'm running the Memory Map system and CHS raster charts.

crazycleaner

Recruit

Just found this thread.
I'm from North Bay and have a 94 Wellcraft Excel 18sx. Its my first boat, purchased last year. We keep it in a slip on Lake Nipissing and use it for pleasure, relaxing and fishing too. Once in a while we trailer it for a day on Trout Lake as well.
I pretty much use the boat at least 3 times a week if not more, even if its just to head 10 minutes out and anchor between some islands and laid back with tunes and fish. I love this forum and the wealth of information available.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Just found this thread.
I love this forum and the wealth of information available.
And it just gets crazy-er. Thanks crazycleaner. You've been quiet for almost a year now. I've never boated on Nipissing but for years the whole family enjoyed a week each year at a friend's cottage ("camp" in the local vernacular) on Talon Lake on the same chain of connected waters. Nice country. I've added your info. - Grandad

Attachments

• iBoats Ontario Members.pdf
    25.8 KB · Views: 0

littlerayray

Lieutenant

i hope everyone is as excited for spring as i am just want to know if anyone is interested in doing a meet and greet either in brockville or kingston

LaBomba

Cadet

The Parks Canada pass can still be obtained as of today at the old rates with a 10% early bird discount on mooring passes. The lady I spoke with said mooring passes will increase this year and lockage next year but they are still awaiting final decisions on the increases. If you have the money save a few bucks while you can. See you on the water, shortly I hope.

grewvin1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Grewvin1 mooring at the Narrows Atherley boat Couchiching Simcoe Lock and mooring season pass buyer on the TSW every weekend.
Live in Barrie.

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does anyone in this group have a suggestion for where one could launch their boat in Barrie and park the truck and trailer over the weekend or longer?
Thanks

littlerayray

Lieutenant

anyone else getting anxiouse to get on the water
my wife says im behaving worse then a crack addict going through withdrawals :laugh:

Scorpion210

Seaman

Yep...Found myself wandering around the marina yesterday. Sat at the end of the dock with a few cold ones, but not quite ready to start lowering the boats yet..photo 3.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 5.jpg

dstroud1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm from Burlington Ontario and trailer my boat. I got my first boat at the beggining of last season (14 foot runabout with 40hp) and recently purchased and old tri hull (1976 crestliner muskie 550) to fix up for my second season. I dont have any specific waterway i go to all the time, I like to trailer up to a different lake every weekend almost if i can :)
Usually I pack the girlfriend and the dog up and fish for the day or just put around and check everything out.
Happy to see so many boaters out there that are not far from me. Anyone out there running an older tri hull?

and thanks for starting this thread grandad, great idea!

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Does anyone in this group have a suggestion for where one could launch their boat in Barrie and park the truck and trailer over the weekend or longer? Thanks
Hi Craig, I was curious myself, so I did a little Googling. It took a little digging since the Barrie city marina's website is still frozen at this time of year. I was directed to Brad McConnel's email address: bmcconnell@barrie.ca
Here's what he had to say (in italics) after trading a couple of emails:
Overnight docking is listed as one of the Barrie city marina's features. If one arrives in Barrie with their boat on a trailer, launches at the marina and wishes to dock overnight, where can they park their car and trailer while they stay on their boat for several days?
Hello, Yes We have a number of parking spots for vehicles and trailers.
Parking during special events or Long weekends is very difficult.

Thanks Brad. What are the fees for overnight parking?
Presently there are no fees for Parking day or night. This will change once the Lakeshore has been developed.
Are these parking spaces in the paved lot near the marina ramp or across Lakeshore Drive?
Both. Now.
Can the parking spaces at the Tiffin Street public ramp be used for overnight parking? Fees?
No this area is for day use only. Presently there are no fees.

Crag, I've found the Barrie city marina to have an excellent ramp, unless the Barrie Police boat has destroyed it while power loading their boat on the trailer. I watched them load one day with twin Honda 150's sustained at about half throttle for several minutes while they tried to avoid using the trailer's winch to get the last foot up to the post. I guess if the concrete ramp is long & deep enough, this shouldn't pile up too much sediment, but they sure made a heck of a current beyond the ramp.

Barrie residents launch for free, but those like us just outside the city limits are required to pay $10 to launch at the marina. I've never paid to retrieve, but that may be because the ramp staff quits at about 7:00 pm. I've also used the public ramp just down the shore at the end of Tiffin Street. This is also a good ramp and because it is a public unattended ramp, it is free. There is parking at both ramps, though note Brad's comment about no overnight parking at Tiffin.

I've also updated the Ontario Members list to include details for grewvin1 and dstroud. - Grandad

Attachments

• iBoats Ontario Members.pdf
    26.1 KB · Views: 0

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Grandad!
Some good information there sounds promising.

Do you know if that would also allow someone to launch their boat at the Barrie City marina and leave the truck & trailer in the lot while the boat went elsewhere?

I am hoping to be able to launch in Barrie and take the boat up the Severn to our cottage for the weekend and longer while we are on vacation.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Do you know if that would also allow someone to launch their boat at the Barrie City marina and leave the truck & trailer in the lot while the boat went elsewhere? I am hoping to be able to launch in Barrie and take the boat up the Severn to our cottage for the weekend and longer while we are on vacation.
Hi Craig, I didn't ask that directly. I think Brad is the off-season babysitter for marina questions. I'd recommend waiting until the summertime marina manager is in place. He/she may be able to suggest or authorize a note that you could leave in your windshield to avoid having an apparent abandoned vehicle towed. You might sleep better at the cottage though if you returned your rig to home and got a lift from someone to get back to the marina. If I recall correctly, your place is only about 15 minutes away. Or perhaps for a small fee, r.j.dawg could watch over it for you from his balcony as per post #49 above. :lol: - Grandad

littlerayray

Lieutenant

so i see most of you are from the trent severn area is there anyone near my neck of the woods
:pray: :pout: feeling so lonely down here

heatz1express

Petty Officer 2nd Class

heatz1express chiming in from the south shore of Lake Simcoe (Black River). Been boating since I was old enough to sit up (more like propped up) in a cardboard box with an open lid that my parents used to sit me in in the middle of their canoe. That was in Sudbury on Lake Ramsey. My first boat was that same canoe with a 2.5 h.p. Yamaha! Did a ton of fishing out of it all over Northern Ontario It used to be all about the fishing for me but now that I am completely boat whipped I am happy to just be out on the water.
Don't have a canoe anymore but I have more then made up for it's absence. Including the kayak, paddleboat, 3 dinghies and 2 waverunners I'm up to like 13 boats now. I've got a 16ft. Peterborough pontoon w/30 h.p. Yamaha, 18 ft. Bonito center console w/115 h.p. Yamaha, 20 ft. Peterborough Express Cruiser w/305 Chev., 22.5 ft. SeaRay SRV w/350 Chev, and a 13 ft. smuggler jet boat w/ 70 hp. Nissan. Also, believe it or not I am looking to add to the fleet with the pending purchase of a 35.5 ft. cruiser. Needless to say I am going to have to sell a couple of boats this year! trailers for all, but tend to just use the trailers for launch as we are fortunate to be on the water and to have our own docks (one of the docks is a boat that I made into a dock but it is not a dock, it is a boat that works great as a dock!
My Family and I boat mainly on Lake Simcoe, but have been all up and down the T.S.W. to Georgian Bay going North and East we have gone as far as Peterborough. We fish, tube, wakeboard, cruise, overnight and entertain friends and family. More then likely you will find us in Chicken Bay.
It is a small world so I expect I will see at least some of you on the water this Summer!
Recently saw stats that showed we have several hundred thousand more boats registered in Ontario than there is in FLORIDA. on the one hand I was surprised but on the other it is no wonder with all the awesome boating opportunities here! Cheers!