Looking for camping+boating in southeast PA

superbenk

Commander
I'm trying to plan a weekend camping & boating trip for this summer with a couple friends & we're looking for the best options close to Philly. The one friend will be bringing a pop-up camper & I'll be bringing the boat. I know there's Raystown lake with on-the-water campsites, but that's nearly 4 hrs away and we'd like to find something closer. Is there any decent camping near Beltzville? What about at Wallenpaupack? Any other interesting places within 2-3 hrs of Philly?

Philster

Captain
Re: Looking for camping+boating in southeast PA

Not interested in the Jersey Shore, 90 mins from Philly? Campgrounds galore.

superbenk

Commander

Not interested in the Jersey Shore, 90 mins from Philly? Campgrounds galore.

Not interested in salt in my boat :) It's been freshwater only & I'm hoping to keep it that way.

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Muddy Run Campground and Conowingo lake in Southern Lancaster County.
Don't know too much about either just know that they are there.
Guessing maybe about an hour drive from Philly.
Elk Neck state park in Maryland. Upper Chesapeake bay.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If I still lived up there, would sure consider the PINE BARRENS area. BATSTO or NEW GRETNA on the MULLICA RIVER. That should all be fresh, ceder water in that area. BTW, dont be afraid of a little salt water for your weekends, boat will love it and run better I promise!!! Right guys, right??? Help me out here. Just rinse it off and flush the motor when you get home.
You have already abused your motor by making it breathe that air up there. I NEVER trusted air I could not see. Hope you have a great boating season up there this year! regards FRED

superbenk

Commander

Hah! That was great :).

I'm doing my best to keep this crusty 30 yr old OMC motor and outdrive from becoming an impossible hunk of metal. Maybe I am babying it too much and should make it deal with some salt ;)

I'll check out your suggestions and give NJ a look too.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thought warrington sounded familiar. Use to live in fairless hills close to the WASTE MANAGEMENT building. Was within walking distance of a tavern called OWL and ***** CAT on TRENTON rd. Did you ever see the building, think it was in NESHEMITY, that had the LOCKHEED CONSTELLATION on it? Was removed when we lived there and is being restored.
Will be in the neighborhood in JULY, Would be nice to get together. Have always had a good time meeting people here at I-BOATS. I kind of miss that place! Was heaven after living in N.J. FRED

superbenk

Commander

That could be fun! Haven't made any boating friends yet. We're going to the Finger Lakes in July, but PM me and we'll see what we can work out schedule-wise.

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome,
I have only been out twice late last season. We went to Havre De Grace and put in there right under Rt40 bridge, there is supposed to be another ramp there. I have not checked them out but perryville and Port deposit is supposed to have public ramps.

We had a blast out in the "Flats" of the Upper Chesapeake. I have freinds on the sassafras river and that's nice to and my boss uses Elk Neck State Park, That is a real nice ramp. Parking is remote but it's nice there.

Being from Philly mhave you ever useed "Penn Treaty Park" I think it off bridge st & allegeny ave area??? I saw that on Google "Earth"

The Folks here are very knowladgable and won't steer you wrong.

Enjoy!​

arks

Lieutenant Commander

We went to Havre De Grace and put in there right under Rt40 bridge, there is supposed to be another ramp there. I have not checked them out but perryville and Port deposit is supposed to have public ramps.
That's my home turf. The ramp under the bridge sucks. Use the one at the south end of town at Tydings Park. It's going up to 10 bucks but they are supposed to re-hab it any day. Both Perryville and Port Deposit have ramps but you need a County Parks sticker.

Any other interesting places within 2-3 hrs of Philly?
I second Elk Neck State Park. Only 1 hour from Philly. We used to launch there every weekend. Only problem is boating + camping- no moorings or dock rental at Rogues Harbor, so you'd have to either put the boat on its trailer every evening or anchor it in the cove overnight.
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/central/elkneck.html

Look at Susquehanna State Park. They have a small campground and Lapidum Landing has a boat ramp facility.
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/central/susquehanna.html

Another option might be Bar Harbor RV Park in Abingdon, but I'm not sure if they allow pop-ups. They do have boat dockage.
http://www.barharborrvpark.com/index.html

So you're going to the Finger Lakes in July. Have you been there before? Where are you staying? I spent a lot of time up there in the past. Great place to unwind.

Hey Fred- If superbenk isn't around during your visit, maybe you'd like to spend a day on the upper Cheaspeake. There's a bunch of iboats regulars (ok maybe we're a little 'irregular') that hang out, and occasionally even get together.

superbenk

Commander

So you're going to the Finger Lakes in July. Have you been there before? Where are you staying? I spent a lot of time up there in the past. Great place to unwind.

Hey Fred- If superbenk isn't around during your visit, maybe you'd like to spend a day on the upper Cheaspeake. There's a bunch of iboats regulars (ok maybe we're a little 'irregular') that hang out, and occasionally even get together.

Excellent info! I'll check those out too. We're heading up to Canandaigua Lake where we rent a cottage on the water every summer. I grew up on Canandaigua Lake. Absolutely love the area! I sure wish PA had some lakes like that.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

All my mothers' family lives/lived in Wayne on Waneta Lake. Haven't been up there in a few years and really miss it.
One of my cousions has a home overlooking Keuka. What a view!

About Pa lakes- have you been to Blue Marsh? it's about the best one around here. Not sure about camping but there's gotta be something fairly close.

superbenk

Commander

All my mothers' family lives/lived in Wayne on Waneta Lake. Haven't been up there in a few years and really miss it.
One of my cousions has a home overlooking Keuka. What a view!

Kueka is really nice. I've never been to Waneta. Actually in all the years I lived there I really didn't visit any of the finger lakes other than Canandaigua, Keuka & Seneca.

About Pa lakes- have you been to Blue Marsh? it's about the best one around here. Not sure about camping but there's gotta be something fairly close.

We've been there a couple times. Found it tended to get a lot busier than Beltzville on the weekends & also found Beltzville to be cleaner.

Anyone know what date the docks go out on both Beltzville & Blue Marsh? I can't wait to go out once all the spring maintain. is done.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

Anyone know what date the docks go out on both Beltzville & Blue Marsh? I can't wait to go out once all the spring maintain. is done.

The docks at Beltzville are Installed. They cant have been out long. I was over a couple weeks ago and there was still ice on the lake.

Let me know if you're coming up and want some company. I am about 15 minutes away.

I've still got a couple things to do to get ready for the season, should be done this weekend.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Docks were put back in this past week.. My boat is stored 5 minutes from the lake

superbenk

Commander

Let me know if you're coming up and want some company. I am about 15 minutes away.

I've still got a couple things to do to get ready for the season, should be done this weekend.

That'd be fun. I'm just finishing truck/boat maint. myself. Probably 1 or 2 more weekends, so I'm shooting for mid-April.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

Was heaven after living in N.J. FRED

Now Fred, this is the 2nd time I've seen you take a shot at NJ.....I lived almost half my life in Florida....dont make me start pointing out some of yuz guy's problems......:D

superbenk

Commander

Now Fred, this is the 2nd time I've seen you take a shot at NJ.....I lived almost half my life in Florida....dont make me start pointing out some of yuz guy's problems......:D

But NJ has that funny smell... ;)