What is the problem with Bayliner?

mad mahi

Seaman Apprentice
Re: What is the problem with Bayliner?

I would be real interested in what Makomaniac the BAYLINER "sales counselor" has to comment on the New Boat Horror Story post that seems to be all over the web.<br /><br /> Makomaniac , are you out there?

ray21

Seaman

i have a 90 model cobra that i am redecking right now....well, as i've stated in several of my other posts, its more like rebuilding...<br /><br />its true as many here have said that you get what you pay for, and bayliners are value priced boats...notwithstanding, even a cheap boat should have design characteristics that make sense. one more hour of work on my project, and i will have removed 100% of the wood (or what used to be wood, i think) from my cobra. and with every cut i make, i shake my head and just have to laugh...its like the original design wasn't even thought out. its like bayliner designed the hull, and then asked a couple of 14 year olds with their dad's tools, some cheap lumber, and about a gallon (yes, that's about all that was used) of fiberglass to 'have at it'...<br /><br />i could list 100+ flaws i have found on my way to the bottom of my boat...but i won't...<br />because everyone already knows about them and the SALESMAN OF THE YEAR there might yell at me.<br /><br />don't get me wrong, i love my boat...had a lot of fun on it, put a lot of love into working on it all the time...but i don't love the design and pitiful excuse for construction. and when i'm done with it, i'd like to take the bayliner logos off it...because it will no longer be a piece of crap.<br /><br />maybe the new is better than the old...maybe bayliner hired an engineer in the mid 90s or something. but a bad rep is hard to get rid of, and unless brunswick will reimburse me for rebuilding this boat, i'll look elsewhere in the future. until then, i will enjoy my new "rayliner".

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

ROFLMAO, that's cute, Ray! ("Rayliner")...I really like that :D <br />I took the nameplates off mine that read "CAPRI", and re-aranged and attached them, to read "CRAPI".<br />I really love mine too.It's the best I can afford.<br />It's the most boat my puny little Toyota pickup (22RE 4-banger) can haul out of overdrive.<br />It get's me to my fishin holes, and it has only let me down once, on my maiden voyage in it.<br />In spite of the fact that it is a cheap P.O.S., I love my little Bliner.<br />But I will continue to steer as many people as I can away from purchasing one.

D

DJ

What good is a hull warranty if you have a dealer telling you that a little water in the cabin, stuff floating around, is OK-"have fun". (from Boat horror story.)

black442

Recruit

Makofanatic...Guess is the correct spelling not Gues. :D

Homerr

Commander

Well my 2 cents!<br /><br />I have a 2001 Capri 215LX, and I rather enjoy it!<br /><br />I've had it on my local lakes as well as the big pond. It has performed flawlessly.<br /><br />It's been almost 1 year since purchase, and I find myself wanting a bigger ocean-only boat. This boat obviously wasn't built for the big pond, and I'm always worried about beating it up out there. It's hard to find a boat that will do both. One for family ski/tube and the other for fishing on the ocean. I am currently looking for an older ocean boat. Any suggestions?<br /><br />The only complaint I have is my local Bayliner dealer. Their service department is a complete joke.<br /><br />Talk about a monkey F***ing a football!<br /><br />They hooked my fish finder up wrong TWICE! Ordered wrong parts, hassled me about an oil filter I ordered that THEY lost... (Another story)<br /><br />I've also 'heard' that Bayliners suck, but again, I think the older ones got the bad rap.<br />I never had a Bayliner before, so I can only report on the one I have now.<br /><br />The main reason I considered the Bayliner was the lifetime warantee. If it wasn't for that, I might have re-considered.<br /><br />On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a solid 8. But it is new, so I can't tell what will happen down the road.<br /><br />One of the seats had ink stains on it, and the lid on the glove/ice box had its screws in too far and cracked it. The dealer replaced them with no hassles. (They just couldn't get anything else right!)<br /><br />H.

JS2

Seaman Apprentice

Bayliner boats do not have a "Lifetime" warranty.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Life time warrantee...I always loved that phrase...Did you ever stop and think about what it really means? The manufacturer will support as 'new' product for it lifetime?? Doubt that....I think its more like, WHEN IT BREAKS WE HAVE TO COME AND KILL YOU....LOL.....

Homerr

Commander

I beg to differ!<br /><br />My Bayliner comes with a lifetime hull warantee.<br />If I can find the paperwork, I'll be glad to post what it says..<br /><br />Maybe I wasn't clear. No, Bayliner doesn't have a 'full lifetime waratee on everything' but the hull does.<br /><br />H.

kayak99

Seaman Apprentice

Makofanatic,,,its nice that you hail the new Bayliners but to be honest I have never met one PREVIOUS Bayliner owner that recommended buying the boat. Of course that was after they were lucky enough to sell their lemons.<br /><br />If it is as you say the new models are free of the old defects and problems, that's great. That is what PR firms and deep discounts are made for. Until the public is convinced by proof and by reputation, not words, if you think for a minute people are just going to walk into a dealership and desire a Bayliner you're incorrect.<br /><br />Till then Bayliner will remain the butt of boat jokes!

dicktaber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah, and, makofanatic, turn on your spell checker full-time; just for fun, let's review the correct spelling of "Florida" (not "Floriada")...check your "registered from: address...<br />sincerely, an ex-(and hopefully future-) Floridian...

GarageGuy42

Seaman

You Guy's crack me up.<br />You do in the real world get what you pay for. I don't own a bayliner and after reading all this never will. For the weekend LAKE boater they are probably ok. Take it out on the high seas (saw the ocean twice in my whole life, never been on it, flew over it twice though.) and have your life depend on it may be a different story. You have to remember Mako is a salesman for said boat. Need I say more!<br />The old turd I motor around in may not be worth a **** either but it has been going 25yrs and still looks new thanks to either been garaged or covered the entire time. I am a lake boater and if the SEAS get even close to 2' I go home. So gentleman there is a difference in boaters and I am definetly a light weight by witnessed standards.<br />And by the way, where the hell is my Captains hat.

wyattm

Seaman Apprentice

Everybody needs to go to a web site called "the hulltruth.com" a web site similar to this one and read a posting title NEW BOAT HORROR by KIM-G. After reading that article no one in their right mind would buy a Bayliner. Yes the Bayliner 2103 looks good, but not $38K worth of good.

Well guys I have been reading the story on the 36k bayliner. All I can say is that the factory rep isdoing what a rep does ADMIT NOTHING, DENY EVERTHING, AND MAKE COUNTER ACCUSSATIONS. I seen every week from different vendors on Aircraft parts. It is always the same story about that is normal wear and tear or I was damaged after manufacturing. What ever happened to customer service and accountability!!! As far as bayliner goes I have had only one. I Rented a bayliner ( I know just glutton for punishment) for a weekend while on active duty in the Military from the base recreation department. All I can say is I was very disapointed in the boat and complained loudly when I brought it back. Being a rental I expected a lot of wear and tear but this boat was one year old (1991)and looked worse than my 18 year old boat I own now.<br />I guess you get what you pay for!!

skeeterbuilt

Cadet

You will find that "Bayliner" boat buyers are first time boat owners. All the "Bells and Whistles" are there but if you are looking for "Quality" you are looking in the wrong place. <br /><br />Bayliner cuts corners and uses the cheapest materials available, but they "Look Good". Just compare a 5 year old "Bayliner" to say a 5 year old "SeaRay".....no comparison!<br /><br />So, if you want a boat that is going to last your loan payments....I suggest you look elsewhere!

JS2

Seaman Apprentice

$38,000 for a 21 foot Bayliner?! You can buy a higher quality boat for the same price. I thought Bayliners were supposed to be at the low end of the price spectrum?

Where is Makofanatic now? And do you suppose he'll comment on Kim_G's post and its apparent resolution? I'm prepared to give these guys a break, and acknowledge that new management and construction values may have altered the picture, but that story speaks VOLUMES about values. Thank you, I'll take my Cobalt, my platinum value dealer (and treatment), and consider that the premium I pay dearly for is AMPLY rewarded by the trouble free days I spend on the water. (And the extraordinary treatment I get whenever I ask it.)

tnt460

Cadet

bayliner got a bad name for poor quality in early years they were a cheap boat and sold a pile of them a lot of people did not know how to care for them and that made them rot even quicker<br />from what i have seen they are making a good product now

Beachbum49

Cadet

I can tell you from experience. We bought a 20 year old boat for our first. She was beat and didn't last long but we made all the beginner mistakes on her. Then we bought an 18' Bayliner Capri. Mainly because it looked good, not because we knew what we were buying or doing. Took it to lakes 1 weekend a month for the first 5 years. Boat ran good & handled good. Then we moved to the coast and put it in a salt water environment where we used it 3 times a week minimum with actual waves to contend with. The boat fell apart around us in a hurry. As far as I'm concerned Bayliner & Force should be prosecuted for screwing the public. <br />Buy anything except Bayliner, they are crap IMHO.