Volvo Penta 5.7 gi fuel pump relay

bladd48

Cadet
I have a Volvo 5.7 gi and have a fuel supply issue. The boat will start and run fine under 2500 rpm. As the boat hits 3000 rpm, it kicks off. When I go or restart, I don't have power to the fuel pump. After turning power off to the boat and pulling the fuel pump relay and messing with the ecu connections I will eventually get the boat to restart. Sent the ecu out and it checked out ok. I did replace the fuel pump, oil pressure switch and still have the same problem. I ran a scan and when the kicked off I did get an m81 fuel pump low code. Actually one time I tapped the ecu and the boat started. Could be random luck but thought I would share this info as well.

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Volvo Penta 5.7 gi fuel pump relay

Hi there, welcome to iboats, Do you happen to know the full engine model? Here's where to look if needed:How to identify your engine or drive

Just wondering who inspected the ECM as I remember the thread below,
http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-pent...utdrives/ecm-volvo-penta-5-7-gi-e-622341.html

Most engine models did not utilize a fuel pump pressure sensor to cause a fault code and I "believe" your engine would not have one either ?.

Looking through the service manual you will not typically find a code 81 listed to be able too start a typical diagnostic procedure. But code 81 does exist and there is a list of codes but the problem is they are not published. They only show up on the scan tool when some sort of problem arises. And if I have this correct, code 81 would be a list of internal issues the ECM may see either from internal ECM problems or a non "sensor" type problem such as a power supply turning on and off intermittently and the ECM does not recognize this as normal and sets a code 81 with information of what it's seeing as abnormal.

Since you seem to not have 12v power to the fuel pump/s intermittently, that could be a reason code 81 is coming up if the ecm is recognizing something unusual such as the fuel pump relay or relay driver within the ECM shorting out or not receiving full power. But again that is not a typical sensor to go bad as we know it like a TPS for example. Something like a loose or corroded power or ground wires, cables or connectors not allowing the ECM to see full 12v power internally may set code 81.

The ECM controls the fuel pump power relay by way of ignition key up for 2 seconds then it looks for a reference signal starting at the pickup coil under the distributor cap and rotor, then to the ignition module under the distributor cap.

If the pickup coil or ignition module or even the fuel pump relay was to be intermittently bad or bad wire connections, etc... I could foresee them turning off the power to the engine and fuel pumps till things cooled off once again. Relays and the ignition module are known to be either sticky or heat sensitive at times. Can't rule out the fuel pumps, fuel pump wires, or fuel pump circuit breaker running hot either.

If you are using wing nuts on the battery, that would allow the power and ground cables to have a loose connection and run hot, quickly / intermittently turning on and off the 12v power just enough for the ECM to see it. Also check the ECM ground wires and the back of the engine.

Code Description:
13 Oxygen Sensor 1 or 2 Malfunction
14 Coolant Sensor Voltage High (cold)
15 Coolant Sensor Voltage Low(hot)
21 Throttle Position Sensor Voltage High
21 Throttle Position Sensor Voltage Skewed High
22 Throttle Position Sensor Voltage Low
23 Manifold Air Temperature Sensor High (cold)
24 Speed Sensor Inactive (if installed)
25 Manifold Air Temperature Sensor Low (hot)
31 Governor Not Tracking
32 EGR Valve Not Tracking
33 Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor High
34 Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Low
41 Electronic Spark Timing Open Circuit
42 Electronic Spark Timing Grounded Circuit
43 Electronic Spark Control Detects Continuous Knock
44 Knock Sensor 1 or 2 Inactive
51 Calibration Checksum Error
54 Oxygen Sensor 1 or 2 Lean
55 Oxygen Sensor 1 or 2 Rich
61 Fuel Pressure Sensor High
62 Fuel Pressure Sensor Low
63 Fuel Temperature High
64 Fuel Temperature Low
81 See Scan Tool*
* Scan tool will display specific details on the type of Code 81 that is
set. Code 81 is associated with a variety of system faults.

Hope you find something, let us know and good luck.:)

bladd48

Cadet

Hi there, welcome to iboats, Do you happen to know the full engine model? Here's where to look if needed:How to identify your engine or drive

Just wondering who inspected the ECM as I remember the thread below,
http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-pent...utdrives/ecm-volvo-penta-5-7-gi-e-622341.html

Most engine models did not utilize a fuel pump pressure sensor to cause a fault code and I "believe" your engine would not have one either ?.

Looking through the service manual you will not typically find a code 81 listed to be able too start a typical diagnostic procedure. But code 81 does exist and there is a list of codes but the problem is they are not published. They only show up on the scan tool when some sort of problem arises. And if I have this correct, code 81 would be a list of internal issues the ECM may see either from internal ECM problems or a non "sensor" type problem such as a power supply turning on and off intermittently and the ECM does not recognize this as normal and sets a code 81 with information of what it's seeing as abnormal.

Since you seem to not have 12v power to the fuel pump/s intermittently, that could be a reason code 81 is coming up if the ecm is recognizing something unusual such as the fuel pump relay or relay driver within the ECM shorting out or not receiving full power. But again that is not a typical sensor to go bad as we know it like a TPS for example. Something like a loose or corroded power or ground wires, cables or connectors not allowing the ECM to see full 12v power internally may set code 81.

The ECM controls the fuel pump power relay by way of ignition key up for 2 seconds then it looks for a reference signal starting at the pickup coil under the distributor cap and rotor, then to the ignition module under the distributor cap.

If the pickup coil or ignition module or even the fuel pump relay was to be intermittently bad or bad wire connections, etc... I could foresee them turning off the power to the engine and fuel pumps till things cooled off once again. Relays and the ignition module are known to be either sticky or heat sensitive at times. Can't rule out the fuel pumps, fuel pump wires, or fuel pump circuit breaker running hot either.

If you are using wing nuts on the battery, that would allow the power and ground cables to have a loose connection and run hot, quickly / intermittently turning on and off the 12v power just enough for the ECM to see it. Also check the ECM ground wires and the back of the engine.

Code Description:
13 Oxygen Sensor 1 or 2 Malfunction
14 Coolant Sensor Voltage High (cold)
15 Coolant Sensor Voltage Low(hot)
21 Throttle Position Sensor Voltage High
21 Throttle Position Sensor Voltage Skewed High
22 Throttle Position Sensor Voltage Low
23 Manifold Air Temperature Sensor High (cold)
24 Speed Sensor Inactive (if installed)
25 Manifold Air Temperature Sensor Low (hot)
31 Governor Not Tracking
32 EGR Valve Not Tracking
33 Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor High
34 Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Low
41 Electronic Spark Timing Open Circuit
42 Electronic Spark Timing Grounded Circuit
43 Electronic Spark Control Detects Continuous Knock
44 Knock Sensor 1 or 2 Inactive
51 Calibration Checksum Error
54 Oxygen Sensor 1 or 2 Lean
55 Oxygen Sensor 1 or 2 Rich
61 Fuel Pressure Sensor High
62 Fuel Pressure Sensor Low
63 Fuel Temperature High
64 Fuel Temperature Low
81 See Scan Tool*
* Scan tool will display specific details on the type of Code 81 that is
set. Code 81 is associated with a variety of system faults.

Hope you find something, let us know and good luck.:)

The serial number on my boat is 4012160040 and is a 2005 Volvo 5.7 GI. I sent the ecu t OBD diagnostics in California. I purchased my scan tool software from them as well. I don't believe my engine has a fuel pump sensor but this was the only code that turned to when my boat kicked off. Lost power to the fuel pump (did not hear it power up when I turned the key to on without starting the engine) . I did replace the pump relay.

My oil pressure and temp gauges look fine. I can run the boat at my dock at over 1000 rpm all day with no issue,its when I hit the lake and start to power up. Don't know if the ecu is kicking it out original have some other power supply//short problem.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Pull out the relays and jumper the connectors to power the fuel pumps manually and see if your boat dies when you do that. At least that isolates the fuel pumps from the electrical driving the relays.

Depending on your model(not sure form your serial number) the low pressure relay may get turned on from a terminal on the alternator. If your alternator is having an issue, this could cause the low pressure pump to quit. The high pressure pump is the one driven by the ECU.

Also, the oil pressure and temp senders send signals to your gauges. Completely separate switches send signals to the ECU. I would think your scan would show if one of these switches got engaged but keep that in mind as well.

Last edited:

bladd48

Cadet

Pull out the relays and jumper the connectors to power the fuel pumps manually and see if your boat dies when you do that. At least that isolates the fuel pumps from the electrical driving the relays.

Depending on your model(not sure form your serial number) the low pressure relay may get turned on from a terminal on the alternator. If your alternator is having an issue, this could cause the low pressure pump to quit. The high pressure pump is the one driven by the ECU.

Also, the oil pressure and temp senders send signals to your gauges. Completely separate switches send signals to the ECU. I would think your scan would show if one of these switches got engaged but keep that in mind as well.

No issues showed with the any of the safety switches that tie into the ecu. I will try your recommendation to isolate the pump and check for issues with the power supply to the fuel pump relay. What has me stumped is I only lose power to the pump under load and it takes usually about 30 min before I do get power to the pump. Once power returns the boat will start like normal and will continue to start normally until the next time I push over 3000 rpm's.

Still hope the ecu is ok... It's a mefi 4 ecu and I only 290hrs on the boat.

bladd48

Cadet

The serial number on my boat is 4012160040 and is a 2005 Volvo 5.7 GI. I sent the ecu t OBD diagnostics in California. I purchased my scan tool software from them as well. I don't believe my engine has a fuel pump sensor but this was the only code that turned to when my boat kicked off. Lost power to the fuel pump (did not hear it power up when I turned the key to on without starting the engine) . I did replace the pump relay.

My oil pressure and temp gauges look fine. I can run the boat at my dock at over 1000 rpm all day with no issue,its when I hit the lake and start to power up. Don't know if the ecu is kicking it out original have some other power supply//short problem.

The shop I sent the ecu to is the same group in your recommended link... There was a few old codes and they reset and ran a check on the unit and said it was fine. The ecu is a mefi 4. Could the ecu check out ok on a bench test and fault under load?

Maclin

Admiral

Check all ground connections also, mounting points sometimes are used as grounds.

Fun Times

Staff member

Running his serial number shows he has a fuel injected 5.7 GI-E.
Publication search - Publications / Manuals : Volvo Penta

Close! Both fuel pumps are normally turned on at the same time by the ECM. The fuel pump relay driver inside the ecm sends a signal to the relay "power box" (lets call it) that already has 12v power from the 20A fuse. And your right, if he has a problem with the alternator it could contribute to unusual problems like this.

Boatinfo - Volvo Penta EF series Wiring Diagrams

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Ahh so the one relay drives both pumps now. Interesting that they still have the second relay there all wired up with no connection on its output.

Also of note, the output of the ECM is actually sinking current when it wants the relay to be on. Basically, if you measure 12V at the ECM output, the relay will not be turned on.

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member

The ecu is a mefi 4. Could the ecu check out ok on a bench test and fault under load?
Maybe! Call them and ask for their second opinion. Ask about heat and vibration within the ECM. They know that ECM pretty well.

If there was a problem with your wiring harness, power, sensors excessive heat, etc., causing the ECM to intermittently go bad, they may not find it. My personal feeling is that could be why you and the other guy in the thread linked earlier are seeing a code 81.

Stay on finding a wiring type problem vs a bad ECM until all else checks out good.

Keep us updated.:)

bladd48

Cadet

Maybe! Call them and ask for their second opinion. Ask about heat and vibration within the ECM. They know that ECM pretty well.

If there was a problem with your wiring harness, power, sensors excessive heat, etc., causing the ECM to intermittently go bad, they may not find it. My personal feeling is that could be why you and the other guy in the thread linked earlier are seeing a code 81.

Stay on finding a wiring type problem vs a bad ECM until all else checks out good.

Keep us updated.:)

Thanks for your help... I have a Volvo mechanic set up to take over from here. I will forward him this thread and hope it will help. Most everyone who has been helping with this issue believe the ecu is not the issue. Hope everyone is right with their call. I am already $1200 into so far.

bladd48

Cadet

Thanks for your help... I have a Volvo mechanic set up to take over from here. I will forward him this thread and hope it will help. Most everyone who has been helping with this issue believe the ecu is not the issue. Hope everyone is right with their call. I am already $1200 into so far.

Going Dow to work on the boat again and plan to focus on a potential alternator problem. How do I isolate and these the wire/diode to the low pressure fuel pump? Can I replace this wire and do you have the info on the dialed or do I need a new alternator?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

On your model there is no connection from the alternator to the fuel pump relay.

bladd48

Cadet

On your model there is no connection from the alternator to the fuel pump relay.

At my boat now... Have power at 30 and and 86 when the ignition switch is off. When I turn the key, I get no power to the fuel pump. Any idea?

Fun Times

Staff member

Should have power at key up for 2 seconds and while engine is cranking. Do the gauges work?

bladd48

Cadet

All gauges work... Oil pressure if fine and temp looks good. Boat is running now. At the dock. When I run it at about 3000 rpm it will kick off. When I try and re star, I will have no power at the fuel pump. Eventually I will get power back and the boat will start and the cycle repeats. I can run at my dock for hours with no issue. It only happens when I rev up. Not a fuel supply issue... Something is drop in power to the pump.

bladd48

Cadet

I ran a scan and I do have a stop engine warning logged out of my ecu

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

Install a jumper wire between 30 and 87 at the fuel pump relay.
Do the fuel pumps run?

Fun Times

Staff member

When I try and re star, I will have no power at the fuel pump. Eventually I will get power back and the boat will start and the cycle repeats.
Also next time it happens, keep an eye on the tachometer to see if your getting an RPM signal. The RPM at cranking speed should be right around 350-400 RPM. Also check for spark at the coil when it won't start. (It's easiest to use a timing light to check for basic continuous spark). Hopefully it may help tell some sort of story of why the engine and fuel pumps are shutting down.

Last edited:

bladd48

Cadet

Also next time it happens, keep an eye on the tachometer to see if your getting an RPM signal. The RPM at cranking speed should be right around 350-400 RPM. Also check for spark at the coil when it won't start. (It's easiest to use a timing light to check for basic continuous spark). Hopefully it may help tell some sort of story of why the engine and fuel pumps are shutting down.

Ran a scan an loved the following codes... M13, M24, M44, M51... Could bad fuel cause my problem?