Skeg repaired without welding!

lotusing

Seaman
I finally got angry at some local welder about welding my skeg so I told him where to go and that I would fix it myself. I bought the plastic skeggard that you see in overton's and marine tex. The only skeg I had left was about 2" by 2" right above the prop so there was not much left. I first used my bench grinder and cleaned both ends of the sked with the wire wheel end. I then marine tex the 2 parts together and let them dry for 2 days. After dry, I took off all the paint on and around the skeg then used this black epoxy that skeggard uses and made sure that I glue the top of the guard against the bottom of the motor and all around the skeg. I let that dry for 2 days and marked 2 small spots where I could drill hole where part of the skeg that was not broken and but in 2 ss bolts and nylon nuts to give the skeggard extra bite and extra strength. When I finally took out the boat I have to tell you that I was afraid that it would come apart even though I do not travel into shallow water. I drove the boat all day and then coming back the tide had gone out and as I was going about 10mph the boat almost stopped because I hit ground. I immediately raised the engine and powered out not to get stuck and made it out. I took the boat out of the water and the skeg was like a rock. So if you need a new skeg, this is a great option and with the guard on, the boat turns much better now.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Skeg repaired without welding!

Good job.You should post some pics of your handywork.J

Doernuth

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agreed. Good Job, picts are a great thing!

lotusing

Seaman

Not the greatest pics but you can see the skeggard and the 2 ss screws.

Attachments

• 287.jpg
    287.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 286.jpg
    286.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 0

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

I've been "eye ballin' that skeg guard since I got my boat. My skeg had a 2"X2" chunk out of the lead edge of it when I got the boat. It ran & turned ok I guess but it looked like crap. I have enough skeg left so that thing would be perfect. Well one night tinkering around the garage I came across a tube of Billy Mays' "Mighty Putty". I had to use this stuff to fix a low pressure drain pipe a while back at work & it hardens like steel & is still holding up. I thought what the hell, I'll try rebuilding the missing chunk on the skeg. It worked perfect, I sanded it down the next day & painted it to match. I'm still going to get this plastic guard for added protection & the fact that someone here has it & likes it prompts me even more. Anyway, glad your happy with it. Did you need to use the screws? Did they come with the guard or did you just decide to use them yourself?

lotusing

Seaman

Maxxie, the guard did not come with the screws. The only reason I used SS screws was because I had soo little skeg left and wanted to add insurance. I took it out last night and still perfect.