Trim limit wires...no where to be found

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Trim limit wires...no where to be found

The brown and white wire went underneath the Mercathode...to a plug which went to the Mercathode black wire.....when I separated the plug there was the Male end for the Sender switch...the remaining wire that went to ground had the female end.... I hooked everything up and my gauge works now....
For the correct way to hook up the wiring, http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=219200

But nothing happens when I push the UP button on the controls...any thoughts?
Do you have both a trailer button and a trim up button? Does it go up with the trailer button only?

Also is your trim/trailer button/s mounted on the control handle or to the dash of the boat?

Talked to a Merc Master
Just curious, Was this guy in corona CA by chance?

Last edited:

Searay D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

For the correct way to hook up the wiring, http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=219200

Do you have both a trailer button and a trim up button? Does it go up with the trailer button only?

Also is your trim/trailer button/s mounted on the control handle or to the dash of the boat?

Just curious, Was this guy in corona CA by chance?
have a Trailer button..... an UP button ....and down button...all located in the handle (1988 Searat 230)
The trailer button works fine
down works fine
up does nothing(no clicks ..dead)
the Merc guy is out of Long Beach

Fun Times

Staff member

have a Trailer button..... an UP button ....and down button...all located in the handle (1988 Searat 230)
The trailer button works fine.
I changed the Trim limit and sender switches.
Up does nothing (no clicks ..dead)
Sounds like a misadjusted trim limit switch. Basically it's turning off the trim up while the trailer button is a trim button override.

Do you have manual to see how it should be adjusted?

The Merc guy is out of Long Beach
Thanks. Merc Master tech's are somewhat of a select few here in CA, but they are slowly growing.

Searay D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like a misadjusted trim limit switch. Basically it's turning off the trim up while the trailer button is a trim button override.

Do you have manual to see how it should be adjusted?

Thanks. Merc Master tech's are somewhat of a select few here in CA, but they are slowly growing.

Thats kind of what I thought too.....I followed the set up instructions for the trim limit....I turned from clockwise position to counter clockwise...that did not make the UP turn on( I did this with the motor full down)

alldodge

Staff member

Thats kind of what I thought too.....I followed the set up instructions for the trim limit....I turned from clockwise position to counter clockwise...that did not make the UP turn on( I did this with the motor full down)

It's in the blue/white wire circuit. Bad connection, relay, switch, etc.

Missed the older Mercathode connection, but all in all the connection to the mercathode is a place holder which makes no electrical connection to the mercathode. Connecting the wires directly to one another makes the same connection.

Searay D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's in the blue/white wire circuit. Bad connection, relay, switch, etc.

Missed the older Mercathode connection, but all in all the connection to the mercathode is a place holder which makes no electrical connection to the mercathode. Connecting the wires directly to one another makes the same connection.

If it is the blu/wht circuit....wouldn't it not work at all? my DOWN and TRAILER still work...what do you think? Thanks D

alldodge

Staff member

If it is the blu/wht circuit....wouldn't it not work at all? my DOWN and TRAILER still work...what do you think? Thanks D

For the most part you are correct, but the trouble is you are not sending power to the blue/white wire. The trailer switch bypasses the limit switch so it will go up. Check the wire connections on the purple/white to the limit switch to the blue/white and the switch in the control handle

Searay D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

For the most part you are correct, but the trouble is you are not sending power to the blue/white wire. The trailer switch bypasses the limit switch so it will go up. Check the wire connections on the purple/white to the limit switch to the blue/white and the switch in the control handle

10-4
I'll get on that this afternoon. .. Thanks for taking the time. .. I'm hoping to get this fixed before installing the manifold. ...Much easier to get at the pump. .... really hoping to get out this weekend. .. suppose to be in the mid 70's this weekend.

alldodge

Staff member

10-4
I'll get on that this afternoon. .. Thanks for taking the time. .. I'm hoping to get this fixed before installing the manifold. ...Much easier to get at the pump. .... really hoping to get out this weekend. .. suppose to be in the mid 70's this weekend.

Not very nice to rub it in when it's 20 degrees here :( :D

Fun Times

Staff member

Hope this next question of mine doesn't seem out of line as it isn't ment to be, While you where turning the limit switch mounted to the port side of the gimbal ring, did you have someone sitting inside the boat holding the trim only button in the up position?

You may want to try removing the switch off of the ring and turn the switch a full 360 degrees while someone is holding the trim up button to see if you can gain control of the trim up power. If not, ohms check the new switch wire leads while turning the switch to be sure the switch is working correctly. Good luck.

Searay D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hope this next question of mine doesn't seem out of line as it isn't ment to be, While you where turning the limit switch mounted to the port side of the gimbal ring, did you have someone sitting inside the boat holding the trim only button in the up position?

You may want to try removing the switch off of the ring and turn the switch a full 360 degrees while someone is holding the trim up button to see if you can gain control of the trim up power. If not, ohms check the new switch wire leads while turning the switch to be sure the switch is working correctly. Good luck.

Not out of line at all...I appreciate the input....I've been a one man band most of this operation....so I taped the up button open while I moved the TRIM limit switch.....

Sorry to rub in the warm weather.....If it helps the cost of living is ridiculous here :blue:

Searay D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I taped the UP button to on position and checked for voltage at the blu white wire on the UP solenoid ...nothing :confused:no power.
I'm better at wrenching then electrical but I'm guessing its in my handle....i guess I will have to dismantle and make sure its getting power from the purple and white wire...if so then thats the culprit.

alldodge

Staff member

I taped the UP button to on position and checked for voltage at the blu white wire on the UP solenoid ...nothing :confused:no power.
I'm better at wrenching then electrical but I'm guessing its in my handle....i guess I will have to dismantle and make sure its getting power from the purple and white wire...if so then thats the culprit.

It could be the UP switch and not a connection. Jumper across the Red/purple wire to the Blue/white wire at the control handle. If the pump does not start running, measure that you have 12V on the blue/white wire with the jumper in place. If you have 12V, leave the jumper and go back to the limit switch and turn it, it should start to go up. If it doesn't go up there is a limit switch problem. If at any time it does go up, remove the jumper and press on the up switch after bringing it back down. If it does run with the jumper but not by pressing the up switch it is the switch.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

OK this is how it works: Near the stern you have two connectors. One with a purple/white wire and one with two blue/white wires. One of the trim limit wires plugs into the p/w connector and the other into the b/w connector. When you hit the trailer button the current flows through the b/w wire directly to the up solenoid. When you hit the trim up button the current flows through the p/w wire through the trim limit switch to the b/w connector, through the same b/w wire to the up solenoid. See if you can find those connectors. If you find them, jumper them together with a piece of wire and try the trim up. If it works you have isolated the problem to the trim switch. Chances are that the problem is not in the handle. So don't mess with the handle until you isolate then problem.

Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

That tells you nothing except that the trim up circuit is open. Either the outdrive is high enough that the limit switch has opened as it should, or if the outdrive is down, the switch or wiring is defective, or way out of adjustment.

thumpar

Admiral

I like Terry's idea of jumper the wires. It is an easy test and will rule out somethings depending on how it goes.

Searay D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK this is how it works: Near the stern you have two connectors. One with a purple/white wire and one with two blue/white wires. One of the trim limit wires plugs into the p/w connector and the other into the b/w connector. When you hit the trailer button the current flows through the b/w wire directly to the up solenoid. When you hit the trim up button the current flows through the p/w wire through the trim limit switch to the b/w connector, through the same b/w wire to the up solenoid. See if you can find those connectors. If you find them, jumper them together with a piece of wire and try the trim up. If it works you have isolated the problem to the trim switch. Chances are that the problem is not in the handle. So don't mess with the handle until you isolate then problem.

10-4 will try that in the morning...Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Searay D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok here's where I'm at...I used my old trim limit wires cut the to about 6 inches striped the wires and connected then...I then pluged one side to blu/wht the other pur/wht...thus by passing the limit switch....(which is new)

Same issue DOWN works ...TRAILER works.... UP does not work

So If I'm on the right track it's either in the handle or the power to the handle correct?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Yeah sounds like it. Try to see if you can measure the voltage at the purple white wire connector when you hit trim up. If it does not have voltage there then look to the handle. Your power to the handle is probably OK because the other stuff works. Check for voltage at the back of the switch. While you have the voltmeter out, might as well check out your trim limit switch. Run the outdrive all the way down and set the meter to ohms. Measure the resistance between the two black trim limit wires, should be 0. While measuring the resistance (if 0) have someone hit the trailer switch to raise the outdrive. Resistance should go to infinity (open circuit) after the outdrive raises partway. If that works OK you can fine tune the adjustment once you get things working. Good luck.

Searay D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah sounds like it. Try to see if you can measure the voltage at the purple white wire connector when you hit trim up. If it does not have voltage there then look to the handle. Your power to the handle is probably OK because the other stuff works. Check for voltage at the back of the switch. While you have the voltmeter out, might as well check out your trim limit switch. Run the outdrive all the way down and set the meter to ohms. Measure the resistance between the two black trim limit wires, should be 0. While measuring the resistance (if 0) have someone hit the trailer switch to raise the outdrive. Resistance should go to infinity (open circuit) after the outdrive raises partway. If that works OK you can fine tune the adjustment once you get things working. Good luck.

There is no voltage at the pur/white wire when I try TRIM UP....I will have to take handle apart and check voltage at the backside of the switch.....I'm going to have to scratch my head a bit on the handle dis-assembly...I don't see an obvious way to take it apart...theres a place for a set screw when I slide to full forward...but nothing in the screw hole....any instructions in the manual?