50 hp force no spark...

floridaboater1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all i have a 1989 force outboard with no spark. What do i need to do to figure out the cause? I checked all wires and all seem to be connected correctly. Please help...

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 50 hp force no spark...

Hi all i have a 1989 force outboard with no spark. What do i need to do to figure out the cause? I checked all wires and all seem to be connected correctly. Please help...

Need more information. Was it running and then quit? Did you shut it off and then no spark on restart? Did you check your deadman switch? Have you checked all your connections and clean them? Is there power from key to ignition?

floridaboater1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok a friend gave me this outboard. It was running when last used then stored for a year. I checked the wiring on the ignition switch everything is connected correctly. There is no deadman switch. I have no spark on both cylinders. I disconnect the leads to the rectifier and still no spark so the rectifier is good. I have 12.45 volts at the rectifier. What do i need to do next?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Can you post a picture of your ignition system? There's a couple of different systems used on the 1988 - 1989 50HP motors.

You can disable the ignition Kill circuit by disconnecting the two Brown wires at the terminal strip from each of the CD modules if you have the system that uses two CD Modules and two ignition coils.

The other system uses one CD Module and two ignition coils. On this system, disconnect the white wire that goes from the CD Module to the terminal strip.

In either case, if this fixes the problem, then you most likely have a wiring issue.

If it doesn't fix the problem, then we need to know which type of ignition system you have in order to go any further.

floridaboater1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have one cd and two coils. the serial # is 507a9b 1409, I dont have a solid white wire i have white/red and white/green.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Sounds like my diagram doesn't exactly match your color codes. Not unusual. Anyways, there are two terminal strips. One has 8 positions, the other has 6 positions. I believe the terminal strips are located on opposite sides of the motor from each other. The ignition Kill wires are on the third terminal on the 8 position terminal strip. They are either solid White or Black/White. To disable the ignition Kill circuit, disconnect the wire that comes from the CD Module to the third position on the terminal strip.

The stator wires are connect to the 6 position terminal strip. They are attached to the last two terminals on this terminal strip.

I've attached a diagram below. Yours is the lower example, 1 CD Module and 2 coils. To view the diagram, left click on the diagram once, then position you pointer on the diagram and left click again. The pointer should change to a magnifying glass icon with a plus (+) symbol. Press and hold the control (CTRL) button down and and at the same time tap your plus (+) symbol. Each time you tap the + symbol, the diagram will get bigger so you can read the writing. Or at least that's the way it works on my computer.

Force 50 HP wiring diagram.jpg

floridaboater1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like my diagram doesn't exactly match your color codes. Not unusual. Anyways, there are two terminal strips. One has 8 positions, the other has 6 positions. I believe the terminal strips are located on opposite sides of the motor from each other. The ignition Kill wires are on the third terminal on the 8 position terminal strip. They are either solid White or Black/White. To disable the ignition Kill circuit, disconnect the wire that comes from the CD Module to the third position on the terminal strip.

The stator wires are connect to the 6 position terminal strip. They are attached to the last two terminals on this terminal strip.

I've attached a diagram below. Yours is the lower example, 1 CD Module and 2 coils. To view the diagram, left click on the diagram once, then position you pointer on the diagram and left click again. The pointer should change to a magnifying glass icon with a plus (+) symbol. Press and hold the control (CTRL) button down and and at the same time tap your plus (+) symbol. Each time you tap the + symbol, the diagram will get bigger so you can read the writing. Or at least that's the way it works on my computer.

View attachment 179559
I removed the kill circut and still no spark. How do i check the stator and trigger? My stator has two yellow wires that go the the rectifier. and then it has, one brown with blue line,one brown with black and a blue line. One brown with yellow line and one brown with black and yellow line.

floridaboater1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I removed the kill circut and still no spark. How do i check the stator and trigger? My stator has two yellow wires that go the the rectifier. and then it has, one brown with blue line,one brown with black and a blue line. One brown with yellow line and one brown with black and yellow line.

floridaboater1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My trigger has 4 wires white/yellow/brown. white/orange/brown white green brown white red brown.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Outboard ignition . com or CDI ignition. Both have test procedures for your motor.
Start with replacing ALL the wire ends on ALL the pieces and parts.Stator and trigger and pack.
And even on the key switch.
ONE little connector will and does cause it not to fire.
After that's done use the test procedures.
How's the compression? Just checking???

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

You need an OHM meter to check the stator and trigger.

Make sure you mark where the wires go or take a picture of where the wires go. Putting the wires back on the wrong terminals can create a real pain in the you know what.

To check the stator disconnect the following wires and check the resistance between the disconnected wires. Check between the brown with blue line and the brown with yellow line. You should read between 680 and 850 OHMS. Next check between the brown with black and a blue line and the brown with black and yellow line. You should read between 680 and 850 ohms.

To check the trigger disconnect the following wires and measure the resistance. Check between the White/Brown/Orange and White/Brown/Yellow. You should read 48 to 52 OHMs. Next check between the White/Brown/Green and White/Brown/Red. You should read 48 to 52 OHMs.

Hope this helps.

floridaboater1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You need an OHM meter to check the stator and trigger.

Make sure you mark where the wires go or take a picture of where the wires go. Putting the wires back on the wrong terminals can create a real pain in the you know what.

To check the stator disconnect the following wires and check the resistance between the disconnected wires. Check between the brown with blue line and the brown with yellow line. You should read between 680 and 850 OHMS. Next check between the brown with black and a blue line and the brown with black and yellow line. You should read between 680 and 850 ohms.

To check the trigger disconnect the following wires and measure the resistance. Check between the White/Brown/Orange and White/Brown/Yellow. You should read 48 to 52 OHMs. Next check between the White/Brown/Green and White/Brown/Red. You should read 48 to 52 OHMs.

Hope this helps.
Ok the trigger came back at 48 and 51 The stator came back at 1151 and 0000 so im guessing i need a new stator....

floridaboater1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok the trigger came back at 48 and 51 The stator came back at 1151 and 0000 so im guessing i need a new stator....

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Yes I would suspect the stator. Once you get the flywheel off, you may be able to see some damage like melted or burnt windings. Brand new one from CDI is about $180.

I see a used stator with trigger assy for $50 and free shipping.

Force Outboard Motor Stator Timer Base 50HP | eBay

To be sure it's the stator, measure the AC voltage between the Brown/Blue wire and ground, and Brown/Yellow wire and ground while cranking the motor. You really need a DVA adapter to measure correctly, but with a normal meter, you should see somewhere in the neighborhood of 100+ volts AC.

floridaboater1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes I would suspect the stator. Once you get the flywheel off, you may be able to see some damage like melted or burnt windings. Brand new one from CDI is about $180.

I see a used stator with trigger assy for $50 and free shipping.

Force Outboard Motor Stator Timer Base 50HP | eBay

To be sure it's the stator, measure the AC voltage between the Brown/Blue wire and ground, and Brown/Yellow wire and ground while cranking the motor. You really need a DVA adapter to measure correctly, but with a normal meter, you should see somewhere in the neighborhood of 100+ volts AC.

Thank you so much for your help. My next ? is how do i pull off the flywheel? I removed the nut. Do i use a bolt puller or what tool do i need???

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

You should have 3 small threaded bolt holes around the nut on top of the flywheel. You need one of these tools.

harmonic balancer puller.jpg

Once you attach it to the flywheel, crank down on the large center bolt. Take a steel hammer and whack the large center bolt like you're trying to drive the bolt down into the crankshaft. If nothing happens, see if you can tighten the large center bolt some more and really give it a good whack. The flywheel should pop up a fraction of an inch when it finally breaks loose. May have to use a propane torch and heat up the center of the flywheel a little. Also, make sure the small bolts that you use to attach the puller to the flywheel are good quality grade 8 bolts long enough to thread all the way down to the bottom of the holes. I believe they are 1/4 - 20 thread.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Picture 397.jpgPicture 394.jpgPicture 391.jpgThe puller PNW showed you might do it? Most times the 1/4-20 bolts strip and need to be tapped out to 5/16.
I use a 3 jaw puller.Just be carefull it can hurt a finger if you don't wear gloves?? Safety glasses too.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

DO NOT!!! use a puller that is going to grab the flywheel teeth.Use the bolt holes at the top of the flywheel

floridaboater1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

DO NOT!!! use a puller that is going to grab the flywheel teeth.Use the bolt holes at the top of the flywheel

i got a bolt puller and none of the bolts fit the flywheel anyone know the size bolts i need>?>