1970 16' Starcraft Jupiter V Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy in NY

Commander
Re: Starcraft project: "STOLEN" PIC UPDATE 7-2-09

Got a good amount done today, transom bolted back in and sealed with a bead of 5200 along the splashwell/transom seam. started to scrape down the storage shelves, and got the splashwell painted with truck bed liner..

1247010230.jpg

also, like i mentioned earlier, the registration says the boat is 15', but it measures 15'11"... i dunno. anyways, almost ready for paint.

Andy in NY

Commander

Well I managed to get some paint on... got the white on 1 coat the whole thing and 2nd coat 1 side and transom before i ran out...

1247176904.jpg

1247176814.jpg

Andy in NY

Commander
Re: Starcraft project: "STOLEN" PAINTED PIC UPDATE 7-12-09

Re: Starcraft project: "STOLEN" PAINTED PIC UPDATE 7-12-09

Well, SHES PAINTED!!!!

1247421261.jpg

1247421091.jpg

Damn it looks good... but i think im going to need to wetsand and buff... lots of orange peel texture. will doing that help get rid of it??

Also, how long should i wait till i take the tape off?

Andy in NY

Commander
Re: Starcraft project: "STOLEN" PAINTED!!! PIC UPDATE 7-12-09

so i was thinking this morning... about how much i have into this... and it blew my mind. i have everything i need, except vinyl but have the $$$ put aside for it. When I am done, I will be into this for only $1150, including what i paid for it, repower, trailer work and materials. hot damn! that makes me REALLY happy.

Andy in NY

Commander

I skipped the piece on the outer transom. Didn't appear to serve much purpose and it looks nicer without it. I'm on my 2nd season without it to no ill effect. I'm also pretty sure you don't want to use PT on there. If you do reinstall it (I really wouldn't) definitely 5200 the edge and around all the holes.

I'd use staples AND adhesive for the vinyl.

well, the main reason I was going to install it was to hide all the freakin holes. the origional motor had 9 holes to bolt the motor... 4 for the motor bracket and 5 for for the power trim brackets. they are a bit big to just fill, and i really cant afford to pay someone to weld in plugs...

what would you do about the holes??

so should i skip the pt for the side panels as well and go with ex grade ply coated with resin instead???

IMG00216.jpg

Andy in NY

Commander

well i decided to go with ex grade ply glassed for the tramsom. i can always change it later. got alot done today actually...

got my side panels cut out and coated with resin
1247694372.jpg

and my boy got the first coat of paint on the floor
1247694884.jpg

i also got my transom piece cut out and one side glassed... plus got the splashwell primered and i had to do some trimming of the transom itself to get the cap to fit right... then hit the raw cut with some resin. all in all was a pretty productive day.

oh ya, and the side panels were 8 ft exactly!!!! so now i have an extra piece of 1/2" ply... dont know what to do with it!

Andy in NY

Commander

Well, I got a good amount done today...

got the first coat of green on the splashwell, and the transon and end caps on
1248133409.jpg

got the new winch on the trailer

1248134167.jpg

also got a new trailer jack on

oh, and i had a helper, telling me to stop swearing and just read the directions...

1248133048.jpg

I also got the 6 knee brace bolts in, then i went to get up off the floor and couldnt move. must have thrown out my back. the worst part was i was IN the boat, along with my daughter and no one else home. i sat there for about 45 min till i could move again and managed to get out and hobble into the house. been icing and heating since 5:30 and feeling better now, but still hurts a bit. may have to take a few days off from the boat...

Andy in NY

Commander
Re: Starcraft project: "STOLEN" PIC UPDATE 7-20-09

Re: Starcraft project: "STOLEN" PIC UPDATE 7-20-09

Well, despite my back still bothering me, i got a few small things accomplished today.

i bolted the steering bracket back to the transom and treated it to some new ss bolts (previously they were steel and it took a few hours and some pb blaster to get them off.

1248208342.jpg

I got the adhesive sanded off the dash

1248210886.jpg

and i got the old wiring ripped out and started working on some of the new.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy in NY

Commander
Re: Starcraft project: "STOLEN" PIC UPDATE 7-21-09

Andy nice work she's looking great I like the green, what color is the dash vinyl going to be(I know we have to wait for the pictures).

The dash will look real nice I'm sure, are you getting any newer gauges or going with the original look?

The vinyl is going to be grey... the whole interior is going to be grey, because the seats that came in it were newer and in good shape, and grey. so grey seats, floor and vinyl.

the dash is going to be stock, no gauges for now. when i can afford some i will add them. the only addition is going to be a 4 gang switch panel...

so today i didn't really work on anything except for hitting the trim pieces for the side panels with some steel wool. not perfect, but better than before. my vinyl is coming tomorrow and i think my wife is actually going to help me out with them! im also waiting for my order with my reg lettering and switch panel. i also ordered some led low profile lights for the trailer, on clearance from northern tool for $19!!!

Last edited:

Andy in NY

Commander

Well I got my side panels all done today... was going to start on the dash but then it started raining...

so 2 negative things happened... first they sent me the wrong color. i ordered grey, they sent me white. but thats okay... they will look okay with the grey floor and seats.

second is the rivets werent long enough to attach the bottom bracket to them. i thought 5/8 would be enough, but i hadnt taken into account the thickness of the vinyl. so what i ended up doing was putting in the rivets for looks (i had already drilled the holes) and then hit it with some ss screws from the back.

1248390011.jpg

1248389771.jpg

Andy in NY

Commander

Side panel looks great Andy looks like you are getting closer to the end of the tunnel :D.

Rick

yup... but im not sure im going to make my self imposed aug 1st splash date... cuz we leave for vacation on the 5th, and i wanted to take it out at least once before then... not that we are taking it with us, just wanted to do it before leaving. but then ive got a ton going on when we get back, then im taking my son camping on the 21st and wanted to bring it with me then.

right now my punchlist looks like this:

-at least 1 if not 2 more coats on floor
-install side panels
-vinyl the dash
-install motor
-install controls
-wiring, inc new switch panel
-hardware (cleats, etc)
-install seats
-fix trailer shock
-trailer wiring

i think thats it...oh yeah, before i can install the panels i have to get that damn liquid nails off!!! CURSE WHOEVER PUT IT THERE!

Last edited:

Andy in NY

Commander

well, i had a VERY productive day today... brought the boat to my sister in laws to use her garage.

I got the reg stickers on, wiring roughed in, dash vinyl roughed ready to be glued, cubbys cleaned and painted (which i went back to the wire brush with... just took a while) and another coat of paint on the deck.

1248489973.jpg

1248489852.jpg

im wiped, and i have to be up at 7 to go work on the habitat for humanity house... then a birthday party for my 9 (going to be 10) year old, so i dont know if i will get anything done tomorrow... or sunday because my step daughter goes to camp... we'll see how early i get back.

Andy in NY

Commander

well, just as i suspected. they arent long enough... but they will work for now.

got the side panels in:

1248649044.jpg

controls mounted:

1248648280.jpg

motor mounted just before dark and theres a storm moving in... can see the lightning in the distance...

1248656282.jpg

heres my little girl helping... she helps by pretending to drive and i get to visualize the boat on the water...

1248648408.jpg

Andy in NY

Commander

Well, dinner break. got the trailer lights on and working:

1248737589.jpg

oh by the way, the instructions clearly show one of two things... either their quality control is HORRIBLE, or the chinese factory they were made in has a really bad translator:

1248726030.jpg

and i got my controls hooked up... and discovered this:

1248734077.jpg

And after i eat im fixin to go drill my motor mount holes and get that bad boy bolted on.

oh and i put the transducer back on.

Andy in NY

Commander

well, motor bolts are in. plus for some misc hardware on. i think my punchlist before splash looks like this:

splashwell drain tubes

bilge pump

dash vinyl

electrical panel hooked up (wiring is all set, just have to plug in)

battery strapped down

gas tank strapped down

seats installed

cleats installed

screw in middle of side panels

registration

misc safety gear (sold ropes/paddle etc with other boat)

im going to have to wait till friday for registration and buying my safety gear, but everything else should be done before then.

I may actually wait till sunday to splash her... my wife wants to have a yard sale on saturday... so that will actually give me one more day to get any last minute stuff done.

Andy in NY

Commander

Andy I got to thinkin about your emblems and getting the paint off and then it hit me Der der der . I play with Plastic car models as one of my other much older hobbies and we use brake fluid and or oven cleaner to remove chrome plating and old paint off of them without hurting the plastic :D.

Rick

well, i hit it with some plain old fashioned sand paper last night, and they cleaned up pretty good. im gonna hit em with some paint tonight and see how they look.

dwhite ain't right there fellas...LOL

Wait till you see my 250lbs on the bow of my Holiday..I am thinking I will add a little bracing since I dont see me going back to my fighting weight of 185 anytime soon! ok ever.

im going to add some bracing too, like ive mentioned we beach alot and need to get ashore... im thinking plain old 2x4's...

so while im in the house fixin some dinner i'll give you all an update...

got the dash in (and it came out HORRIBLE... but it will do for now), trim pieces and windshield mount. the "tray" isnt getting vinyl, havent decided what yet, but its going to get something...
IMG00313.jpg

I got the rest of the screws in for the side panels.

and i got my switch panel and the battery hooked up (still need a box and mount for it though). heres a little treat for you guys...

After i eat im going to start cleaning and fixing a few things with the seats, and they are going in tonight come hell of high water.

Andy in NY

Commander

Andy your headed in the right direction Go for it :D:D. I agree with Kev on the Dash look at Homie Desperate or Lowered expectations for some vinyl 1/4 round or something like that to cover the bottom edge of the dash and for the tray Napa sells a spatter paint in a spray bomb that would look good . I am using it in the cubby's on the sides of mine. I like the horn I am planning an AOOOOOOOOOOGA horn for mine :D.

Rick

ooooh i want one of those horns!!!

well, seats are in after a good scrubbing.

1248825373.jpg

1248824987.jpg

Andy in NY

Commander

well, bob_vt was just here for a bit, scrutinizing every inch of my boat... :p we shot the breeze for a bit and just after he headed home i went and got some gas and fired up the evinrude and am doing a decarb on it... probably wont get much else done on it today as my buddy is coming over in a bit to take some firewood as payment for the carb i broke on his splitter in the spring (dont ask how i did it)... and we are going to split what litttle bit i have left to split. but all i really need to do at this point is:

secure battery and gas tank

drain tubes for transom drains

bilge pump

cleats

registration

pick up some gear

im all go for saturday... t minus 64 hours...

Andy in NY

Commander

So here I am driving along in Northern NY...... holy carp....those are some hugewind farm towers:eek:

I question the effectiveness of the "Wind Farming" in Andy's area since I could still feel a breeze going past;) Maybe they need to be re-propped :p

Nice boat Andy, nice wife and an adorable little daughter :)

Yup I was not too far away so Andy and I spoke and I drove up to his place. The boat looks good and I can see how itchy he is to slash it this weekend.

During my 140 mile trip home it started raining :redface: and it is still raining :mad: I sincerely hope you get good weather for your launch day.

Guess what.... I am headed back north to Plattsburgh this evening..... grrrrr work never ends.

Good Job on the boat!

Well, you are always welcome to stop by when you are in the area. the forecast is saying 79 and sunny all day saturday, but im nervous right now. maybe its just me though.

after you left i got that baby cranked up, and i cant believe how easily it starts. i started doing a decarb (1 gal gas, 1 pint of seafoam... run for 10, sit for 20, run for 10, etc) and after few times of running it just seemed like it was running hot... the head was too hot for me to touch for more than 2-3 sec... and the last time i shut it off there was a wisp of white smoke that came out AFTER it was off... where i hadnt noticed that before. im gonna go post in the johnnyrude forum to get some help...

maybe i am just over reacting.

Andy in NY

Commander

well, i tested the overheat alarm and it checked out...

heres a video of how easily it starts... (thank kevin for the video, he kept saying not enough people post videos)

Status
Not open for further replies.