1979 Borum Bobcat ski boat restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
:whistle: :rolleyes: Seems the Admiral agreed with you Woody .... So do I after second thought ... :D
I think the stitch length maxes out at about 1/4". I have it set as wide as it would go . Sometimes the feed dogs don't push it as fast as the needle .. Ya think they make a w/f attachment for this model . That may help but the smaller pulley would probably help the most . Most of the time I can get in a zone and it stitches nice and even but one false move of my foot and the needle takes off like the space shuttle ... :facepalm:
All in all I think they turned out ok ... Had about 6 more inches to sew then broke a needle so I called it quits for tonight .. Hopefully start putting it back together tomorrow ...

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
...you know what they say about guys with small clamps....!!!...uh, neither do I! Those seats look awesome. I heart you too, Sam, but I'm jealous of those girls....they are sum kinda lucky!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
ROCKET SHIP SEWING TIPS 101:That clutch motor should have a wing nut with a spring on it? If so Tighten that sucker down. It will make it harder to give her power with the pedal. Play with that setting untill you get the proper tension. That should help a lot. Get an angled block of wood to put under the pedal and play with how much you can push down on the pedal until you can mash it down hard and she won't run away with herself. May take a while to get her just right. If you can get some foam and rubber band it around the wood that will help "Fine Tune" it too!!! Lots easier to sew when all you have to do is press down hard. Since you have no reverse start and end with real small stitches for the first 1/4 inch and then move to full length. The smaller stitches won't readily pull out. An Old Timer told me this the other day and thats what they did back in the day when those machines had no reverse. Your Piping will cover those small stitches anyhow. GET THE SMALL PULLEY!!!! Okay That's ALL I know. My Brain Hurts Now!!!!:facepalm:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Just poppin in, New boat is sweet with the wood looking do-hickies! Seats too!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys ! Ok I have never installed the hidem welting before . This is going to hide the staples on the edge of the seatbacks ... Am I supposed to sew the the hidem on the edge of the back piece first then staple it over the front piece ? Or does it just go on last over everything ...
Not real fond of the hidem look ... Wish I had done slip cover style instead ...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
It's on the Blue Flamingo!! Goes on last! It looks good when your done. I think You'll be surprised. I installed Staples about every 4 Inches.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, Line it up along the outer edge of the plywood base and cover up all the staples etc...and then open up the middle and shoot the staples. It's 2 degrees outside but...If I get brave, I MIGHT sneak out and try and take some pics of the BF so you can see how it works. I said I MIGHT!!!!:D:eek:

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Woody just wanted to make sure I was installing correctly ... Just picked up an electric staple gun . Hope it has more kick then the reg one I have ,,

NEWS FLASH !!!!! This just in ..... Snow flurries in MY back yard !!!! I saw em ! :eek: :smow:
Maybe I can cut the fins off my surfboard and go snow boarding ... :flypig:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Sorry no pics ... Your gunna have to take my word for it ... It was so light I don't think you could have seen it from pics ... Lisa sent me a text and said that Kelly saw flurries in Callahan and thats just a few miles north of me ... It's so rare down here we get a little excited when it happens ...
Btw , the Arrow electric gun from wally world is no better than the regular heavy duty one I have .. Definitely NOT worth the money !!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yah, I had one and sold it at Garage Sale. Air Stapler is the ONLY way to go.

Willyclay

Captain
Totally agree with WOG, my electric stapler sucks! WOG, I need help with posting pix. I have a Photobucket account and pix saved with the recommended size, 640X480, but can only get the link to appear in a thread post. I know it is an operator problem but cannot figure out what I am doing wrong or not doing right. Help please! Thanks, Bill

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Are you clicking on the IMG code on the box on the right side of the page ? Click that and it will flash yellow" copied" then just go back to your post right click and paste and your done ...;)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Here's a Photobucket TIP: In the top right corner, just to the left of the Cart Icon there's an Icon that looks like a Profile pic. That's your Profile Icon. DUH!!!! Click on it and then click Settings. In the top menu click the albums tab and then scroll down and put checks in the Direct Link and IMG Code boxes. Save everything and then return to your Library You'll see the links are now under all of your pics. You can right click the img code, then click copy and then go to iboats and paste it into your thread. I think this makes it easy

Status
Not open for further replies.