Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

Mark72233

Ensign
Arch that is a cool boat. Nothing Fugly about her. Get some inside pics. Is it a Merc 120 or 140 or neither.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Wow, looks like Fuggly is popular, lol! Thanks for all of you who want to tag along! Welcome aboard, this should be an interesting one. I sort of have it in my head to fix the deck / most likely transom get her running and try her out for a season. If I like her, then put some bells and whistles on her next fall.....paint job, nice interior, etc. For now I just want to get the basics in place for next summer.

I may take you up Wood, be careful what you offer, lol!

Saginaw, it is an I4.....120 hp Mark, wish it was the 140. I have done some inital poking around, not sure if it is going to be salvage able....but who knows till you dig into it.

Sphelps, jb is sort of right. It is odd I had to look, its a drain for a raised deck area in the bow. Sort of like a casting platform in a bass boat, but the deck extends under it. There is a deck drain on each side that is supposed to connect to the through hull fitting. The tubing for it is missing right now.

I'll try to get some more pics / video up on it later this week, thanks for all the interest.....this should be fun. I am dying to see how they put this thing together under the deck!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I will follow along for this one as well, if you don't mind. Very cool boat, I have never seen a hull like that before.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Very cool boat! Who manufactured it? Sure looks like a Livingston hull to me. I'm gonna tag along if that's OK.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Welcome aboard, Nurseman, GT and Mike! I did a little walk around video today to show you what I have found so far.

Looks like I need to get going on pulling the drive / motor and getting after the demo!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
The 4.3 would make for a nice motor I think,...A 5.7 would be gnarly!!

Those back to back seats sure do take up a bunch of space,..

Where and how will you use the boat????,............

Mark72233

Ensign
Arch good video and I still think that boat is cool looking nothing Fugly about it.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Corjen and Mark, I its like that Stacey Dave's project I posted at the beginning, its so ugly its cool,lol!

Nurseman and Rick, glad you liked the tour. I think you get a lot more out of the video sometimes....but it is a pain to edit and fuss with. I have been using a new software that you can do some cool stuff with....I uses it enough to be dangerous!

Teamster, this is sort a a "weekend when I have guest at the lake" kind of boat. I still think Miss Morgan will get used the most, I don't have a lot of weekend guest...just a couple of times a year. Usually its me and a buddy or a lady friend :D. I needed a boat that can hold 4 or 5 people and take us from hang out to hang out....maybe tow an occasional skier or tube. A V8 would be cool, but I think I might have a hard time convincing the Highway Patrol that it is less that 165 hp.....:eek: A hot little six, now I can sell that as "it came out of grandma's car". On the seats, I could add two on either side of the engine, but I always think that looks kind of goofy. I have toyed with a bench arcoss the back in front of the motor.....maybe wrapping along he port side to make an l shape. I might add a sundeck behind and loose the doghouse. There is a lot of room for a 19' boat because the cocpit extends so far forward.....a lot of options.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep, Fugly and fortunately, Fugly's good :watermelon:

If I ever get over my current tin boat addiction, and decide to go I/O instead of OB, I'm going to have to find one of these for sale:
OMCa64003.jpg

OMCa64001.jpg

1964 +/- Johnson Deluxe, originally available w/ an optional V6 :cool:

Never saw one until someone on Fibeglassics posted one. Then w/in 2wks I saw 2 w/in 5 or 10min of my house :facepalm:. Haven't stopped to see if either's for sale.......

But if I go back to glass, one will eventually find it's way into my 'boathouse'.....

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
JB, you can never have enough boats right? Come on cross over to the dark side, lol!

So I was thinking about the structure of this boat tonight / how should I redo it? So far it looks like there is no under deck stringers or wood other than the plywood deck. The structure bow to stern is provided by the shape of the sponsons and center pod. More or less like corrugated metal or corrugated card board. There isn't much in the way of structure from port to starboard in the deck. I still need to do some demo, but I'm guessing they put the foam in, then later glassed in the deck....just a guess since the foam looks lower than the bottom of the deck where I did the demo. Regardless, they put down what looks like a thin layer of glass and mat on the flat parts of the deck, then stuck the plywood to it. Not an easy task given how fast poly sets off.

So I am thinking, put the deck in (epoxy glue to the hull? more working time?) then foam it. That is why I thought this project would be fun.....something different. The plywood isn't doing much in this case other than forming a flat surface. I doubt I will go this way, but seacast has a self leveling deck material. Also, what about putting down urethane foam board, foaming under it then capping the entire thing with glass? Plywood probably makes the most sense for this project, but something to think about. Let me know what you guys think, other than I am off my meds, lol!

Last edited:

Twidget

Commander
That is a cool looking old boat. Mind if I tag along on the rebuild also?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The Cathedral Hull design is extremely strong and stable. I think your plan is totally viable and doable. I'd just use 1/2" plywood and glass it. It will be a TANK!!!

dozerII

Admiral
I'm no glasser guy, but that is one cool looking boat, like jb says, if I ever come across one it will probably end up in the yard. I will be following along as well.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ya know , strange thoughts have been going through my head . I was wondering if the FRP wall protection board would work with poly . Thinking of laying it down as a base ruff side up then pouring the seacast deck mixture . Then regular glass layup over that .... Then again I may be a little :der: